Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys,

I have a AN400 K4 and only got a year out of the MF (Maintenance Free) AGM battery. It was still strong enough to turn the engine over but it would not spin it fast enough to start. It has/had a 12 AH battery but the manual for the K3 says it only needs a 9 AH. Anybody else suffering from short battery life?

Thanx,
Russ

·
Registered
822 Posts
Hmmm.... now I'm wondering if I should disconnect my battery. The bike has been garaged for 2 weeks now due to rain. According to forecasts its going to rain another 2 weeks. That makes an entire month!!

·
Premium Member
1,402 Posts
I plan to buy and use a Battery Keeper/charger when not riiding often.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Early battery failure is not uncommon with motorcycles. I've had some last for years - and several that only survived one season. So far, both of my '03 Suzukis are doing fine on the original Maintenance Free batteries. I do keep them charged when not riding them in the Winter (Battery Tender Jr). Last Year I just left them on the chargers all the time. This season, I think I'll just plug them in periodically (every other week or so) to top off the charge. We had some forum discussions pro and con regarding that - I'm not sure who was right. But after thinking about it, I see no need to leave them plugged in all the time (even though the smart chargers are not supposed to overcharge them).

·
Registered
24 Posts
I got so fed up with my battery not being able to turn the motor over fast enough and for long enough I sorted it once and for all time.

I put 3 new batteries in but even when they had been fully charged if it took more than a few seconds to start the beast it would give up and turn it over making a slow wer wer wer noise - crap. In cold weather or when I had the lights on alot the thing needed jump starting.

SO -- I put a 16 amp battery under the seat, pulled the wires back through the scooter and bob's your uncle problem solved. No more battery problems, a 16-20 amp battery stood upright will turn the engine over for at least 30 seconds before starting to fade not like the original which gives up the ghost after only 3-5 seconds.
I also measured spark voltage and with the old battery it was useless with the beafier battery under the seat it's a better spark and starts alot easier.

·
Super Moderator
8,078 Posts
I know, at least on the 650, there is a battery drain, due to the clock, when it's not running. If it's only down for a month, I would probably leave it in, but charge maybe once every 2 weeks or so.
During storage (now), I have the battery in the basement and charge once a month or so.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts