Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone,

I'm Ride's Short and Tolerable wife. We went this evening and picked up my Burgman...So I might be short but not so Tolerable now! hahaha I rode it for the first time in a parking lot....I have to admit....I felt pretty nervous but after the 3rd lap I felt much more comfortable. Any advice for us newbies out there?

Thanks,

PrincessCornpicker :shock:

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Congrats on the new bike and welcome to the forum. Just take it nice and easy and get comfortable with your new ride.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Wut he said... :withstupid:

Enjoy & welcome!

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
princesscornpicker said:
...Any advice for us newbies out there?
Greetings, Your Highness.

The best advice I can give (other than "enjoy your Burgman") would be to take the MSF Basic RiderCourse if you haven't already done so.

Everyone I know, including some experienced riders, who have taken the course said they came away with new skills and knowledge that would make their riding safer and more enjoyable.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Welcome!

Welcome! Welcome! Enjoy your shiny new RED Burgman. I'm jealous. The 650's haven't been offered in red...yet. There is always next year. Until then I'll be thankful I have a beautiful blue one.

Glad to have you here.

Dee

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Welcome to the Burgman family. Glad to hear you got what you wanted.

Janine :)

·
Premium Member
604 Posts
Welcome, you made a great choice with the Burgman. I have had my for 5 months now and have 7200 miles on it. Having alots of fun.

Enjoy you MSF course, you will learn alots and after that Practice, Practice and Practice.

Which Burgman did you get?

Where in west Tenn. do you live?

·
Premium Member
4,919 Posts
Yeah - what all they said.

But the real question is...where can one find a short yet tolerable female? Say maybe one of those lil 'ol lithe 36 to 50 year old units? (BTW - they wouldn't have to be short!) 8)

Hmmm?

Inquiring minds want to know!

:wink:

TIA princess

·
Registered
23 Posts
WHOOOOOOOOOOO hooo !! Another princess !

You go girl. I am short {small framed and winging it } Just ask these wonderful ppl here ask any Q } They will work out any fact sheet or idenity self proclaimed problem with your BIKE ..... play correctly .. get liscenced and get a protection for yourself , helmet gloves and leather too follow for me . Then just imagine how much fun you will have . Shopping, first tangent , if he/ significant other gets you mad next tangent go fo a ride :p then just ride for yourself and learn .. its gonna take time so go slow however ENJOY each ride ! Be Blessed

[/b]

·
Premium Member
4,516 Posts
Welcome....and go back to that parking lot & keep riding....long sweeping turns both left & right......short slow sharp turns left & right.....starting & stopping with a 'paddle' walk...I put 3 miles on mine over about 2 hours practicing in a school parking lot the first day. You may think you look silly to the neighborhood, but you'll be glad someday that you did it. Scooter safe. :)

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Hi Princess

Welcome to the forum :hello2:

Congratulations on the grin enhancing accoutrement. Is the 400S only available in red?

Way to go? Well you seem to have exactly the right attitude and that is the most important thing.

Get as much instruction (incl MSF) and practice in a parking lot as you can. Low speed manoeuvring is a challenge for all and it is a fun challenge in the parking lot scenario. Some things to cover here - advancing in line at say 1 or 2 mph without wobbling (you will start at higher speed say 6 - 7 mph and then improve with practice. You can then move on to low speed circles until you can confidently do a U turn in the equivalent space of a single carriage road.

Emergency stops - using reference points ride at 30 mph and stop in as short a distance as you can - (you will start at lower speeds say 20mph and then increase as you get confidence). Remember you have a very well balanced combination braking system and this will help you but the aim of the practice is to find just how much you can squeeze both those levers (together) before inducing wheel lock up. BTW early practice only on dry surface!

Explore the concept of counter steering. You need lots of space and a speed of say 30mph to do this and the skills mastered above need to be completed before this. Much has been written on this forum on counter steering and it is at the heart of bike control both in higher speed corners and emergency avoidance techniques (swerving). Briefly proceed in a straight line and set up for an imaginary right hand bend - apply pressure to push the right handlebar away from 'midships' and observe what happens. For the tiniest almost imperceptible handlebar push the wheel will shift to a different roll radius path, tuck in and the bike will corner. It is called counter steering because it is counter intuitive and many riders do it without realising BUT once you truly understand this behaviour you are able to exploit it to best advantage. Note you do not use Countersteering during low speed manoeuvres described aearlier.

From day 1 in the parking lot - practice making your observations, checking mirrors and checking over your shoulder before attempting and executing manoeuvres.

Thats enough for the next few days! :roll:

But above all enjoy! :D

BTW: When you are doing low speed stuff intersperse it with the higher speed stuff to keep engine temp down.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hello Everyone,

Thanks for the advice!!! I read each reply and this evening I followed through with some of the advice and went back to the parking lot and practiced. I feel more confident and the more I ride it the more I want to!!! I practiced stopping and turning a lot and took a little spin out on the "real" road....not far....but I felt really good when I made it back home. Thanks again!!!!

princesscornpicker

1 - 12 of 12 Posts