Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
Has anyone sprung for one of these yet? The price of the thing turns me off ($206) but I like the light weight & increased power still you could buy 2 regular GMT batteries & still have change. What do you think? Mark

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
Stay! Away from them things, from the looks of all the Reviews won't Last 2 years or Less, Or it will Fail Or Burst into Flames, And dont do to good in Cold weather Don't Believe every thing you see, The dealer will Lie just to Sale them. just go on 'You Tube and type Lithium Iron battery Failure

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=820156 -This link is Copyright

Elliott,

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
I'm with Mark on this one. Thanks for posting the link, Elliott!

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
Any time, ChipDoc, Just looking out for YA!! i was going to get one my self, But with all the Research ,there not worth it? For one thing there made in CHINA , and you know there reputation for Failure ,There are so many Scams Out there MADE IN USA Outside but Inside MADE IN CHINA, Any thing to get you to Buy it, For one thing putting that stuff in a Plastic Box with no Fire retardants or Shielding Flame Proofing Technology ,
I was shocked when i seen the inside of those things, Just a bunch of Plastics,

and these Guys get up there on there You Tube Channels and Talk about how Good these things are, and Don't even have one of these in there Bikes, Probably have a Yussa. If you Talk to a Professional Mechanic he will Tell you to Stay Away from those Battery's,, Now I'm sure in the future We will have are Own when it improves, But right now there just aren't safe.....

Elliott,

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
The other ones I wonder about are the Glass Mat batteries. They've been around a lot longer and don't seem to have Exploding Battery Syndrome. I'd have tried one a long time ago but for the fact that, as a commuter, when I need a battery I need it TODAY. So the standard Yusua battery keeps going into my bikes.

Incidentally, they only last 2 years down here in Florida. Something about the heat makes them die young. True for car batteries too.

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
Well, Soon Yusua, will be about Joining the Auto Lithium Iron battery Market So if there made by them ,may be worth something, So when there time comes i will get one from them, 2 year myth seems to be All a motorcycle battery will last, Something to Do with the Charging System, But others have said that Keeping a Bike Stock the battery's will last Longer ,not sure if this is true or not but Since i upgraded mines with all these Leds and performance parts it do seem like the battery's Last Less time.

·
Registered
218 Posts
The other ones I wonder about are the Glass Mat batteries. They've been around a lot longer and don't seem to have Exploding Battery Syndrome. I'd have tried one a long time ago but for the fact that, as a commuter, when I need a battery I need it TODAY. So the standard Yusua battery keeps going into my bikes.

Incidentally, they only last 2 years down here in Florida. Something about the heat makes them die young. True for car batteries too.
I get 4 years or more out of the AGM batteries, and like the fact there is no corrosion at the terminals during the life of the batteries. I live in central florida and get the batteries at Battery Power in Leesburg.
Later, Jim

·
Registered
1,204 Posts

The heat is the killer. My bikes live in an insulated garage and the temperatures vary from 40 in the winter to about 80 in the summer. The outside temperature seldom gets above the 80s in the summer. My batteries last a very long time. I replaced the OEM battery only because it was old in my 03 BMW a couple of years ago. I gave it to my brother and it is still working fine in his emergency generator. I sold my old 86 BMW motorcycle last summer and the AGM Westco battery was still working fine and I installed it in 99. One friend has a 05 650 and another has a 07 and they both still have the OEM battery in them as does my 09.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Down here it rarely drops below the mid 60s from April through November and it's often in the 80s in the coldest hour before dawn (during my commute!) so we're well aware of the heat issue.

I get 4 years or more out of the AGM batteries, and like the fact there is no corrosion at the terminals during the life of the batteries. I live in central florida and get the batteries at Battery Power in Leesburg.
Thanks Jim - sounds like a great excuse to ride up to Leesburg!

·
Registered
42 Posts
'scuse me, but is it not called "lithium ion" , not "lithium iron" ??

·
Registered
158 Posts
My '06 650 was bought new in Florida and has never left the state and still has the original battery in it. I checked it this morning after the cold night and the battery tender light turned green almost immediately. Don't know how long it will last, I do plan to replace it at the first indication of failure with a similar battery.

·
Registered
704 Posts

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
Gonna Look for a new Charger Soon, My Ctek Charger Quit, these kind of Chargers that's not Built with Big Transformers Are Useless Heater Boxes, Looks like this thing Got So Hot that the Plastic Started Cracking up at the Bottom ,When i opened it i was Shocked to see Burn Marks around Many Circuits, And found that the Circuit Board had Broken like a Cracker, Cheap is the word, Bad Ideal China to put Hot Circuits in a Box with No Vents... Will Stay Away from those from now on!! Deltran Jr. here i come....

Elliott,

·
Registered
11 Posts
OK.. here is my first opinion of the Shorai. I have had the Shorai 14 as my primary and the Shorai 18 as my auxillary. I went for almost 4 hrs straight running my "LIDAR", radio and P.A. and emergency lights. I had to stop when I stopped a kid with almost an ounce of weed and a set of metal knuckles. He went to jail and had to write some reports..but they both were still working strong. When I got home and plugged them into charge, it only took about 15 minutes to fully charge both. Thats a big difference from the old batteries. They took approximately 2 hours for the primary and approximately 4-6 hours for the auxiliary battery. The auxilliary battery fits so much better in the rear compartment. I will leave more info after more experimentaion and usage of the batteries....

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
OK.. here is my first opinion of the Shorai. I have had the Shorai 14 as my primary and the Shorai 18 as my auxillary. I went for almost 4 hrs straight running my "LIDAR", radio and P.A. and emergency lights. I had to stop when I stopped a kid with almost an ounce of weed and a set of metal knuckles. He went to jail and had to write some reports..but they both were still working strong. When I got home and plugged them into charge, it only took about 15 minutes to fully charge both. Thats a big difference from the old batteries. They took approximately 2 hours for the primary and approximately 4-6 hours for the auxiliary battery. The auxilliary battery fits so much better in the rear compartment. I will leave more info after more experimentaion and usage of the batteries....
Most problems did not start until after 6 months to a year!! had you had them Longer then a year yet? That is the Question?

Wow! Kids these days.......

·
Registered
51 Posts
They do have lithium Iron batteries available for motorcycles they are much safet then lithium ion. and are considerable lighter then lead acid or absorbed glass matt batteries. My brother bought one for his suzuki sv1000. I could not believe how light it was.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I did have a LiFe battery for 2 years and then sold that mp3. It gave instant starts every time with a sound like a hammer hitting a board. I was worried that the current surge was too much for the starter and over time do impact damage to starter gearing.

My new 400 Burg has Yuasa AGM and I will stay with it for that reason.The Lithium was a Shorai 18AH.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts