Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have been floating around this forum and enjoying what I have been reading. I got my first mini bike for my 7th bday and have been riding ever since and have owned several things. Scooters are my favorite. I currently own a 2013 Vespa 300ie GTV which I love and will never part with. My wife and I ride it 2 up all the time and now she wants to start doing some touring. We live in Utah which is a fairly hilly place. Outside the main cities our speed limits go to 75mph and in some place now 80mph. The Vespa just can't do that kind of travel. So it will become our 75 mile or less run about town kind of ride.

I know enough to know I want a Burg 650. But after studying a few things I have some questions I am hoping some folks can help me with. I am sure I am not the only new member with similar questions. Forgive me if I bring up perhaps another repeated question.

Looking at the 2013 and 2014 models. I have seen on youtue a mention of heated grips and seat as standard. But I can't find that on the Suzuki website. This is a feature we would want. I thought I saw a post on here where a fellow with a 2013 installed the heated setup himself. So this hints that it is not a standard feature. So I am hoping for some clarity on it.

The few new features added the past 2 years, should they be what sways me into buying a new one? They sound nice, but I don't like that I can't get side bags, etc yet for them. I am just trying to figure out if I am better off buying one a few years older, and adding the heat setup, and gear I want and be money ahead (I think?) or just buy the new one. I have no problem mods and have a boat load to my Vespa and enjoy the tinkering.

If I were to look for a used one. Which there are several here in Utah up for sale, usually with less then 4k miles on them, average is around 2k miles. Years on those vary. What are good years. I don't want to go past 2007 that much I know. Just wondering if certain models from 2007 through 2012 have some key things that I should look for or look out for.

Also I like quiet bikes. I also picked up a hint from one of the fellows on here on his youtube video that the new triangle shaped exhaust has a more motorcycle sound. Does this mean that 2013 and 2014 are louder then the older models? And if so a lot louder, or just a bit?

Again sorry for the picky questions. Any input would be appreciated.

A couple of pictures of my current ride.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
I don't think heated grips and seat are standard here in the states. Maybe Europe or Canada, but they are options in the good ol' USA.

The biggest change besides styling, instrument cluster and other cosmetic items for the 13+ years is the clutch. It has improved gas milage, around 15%, and makes it easier to handle at slow speeds. But you lose some of that great engine braking we love in "Power" mode.

It's up to you, but the savings on a used bike are tremendous. If you can find a nice clean one for $4-5k, I think you'd be very happy. I haven't heard of problems with any specific year, except the really early ones 03 & 04.

Welcome to BUSA from sunny Los Angeles.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
I had no problems with my 2005 650 that I road for about 30k km and it's still going with another rider.

I have 45,000 km on my current 2009 Exec.

Total things I've had to replace/fix aside from tires....2 batteries.

I'd tend to go used 2009-2012 - they don't really smooth out until they get to 20k km.

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
Yes the heated grips/seat do not come on the US models. You would be very happy with the '13-'14 though you can get a great deal on an older one. Yes someone does make side case mounts for the '13-'14. I think your oon the right track if you looking for older in '07-'12.

·
Registered
426 Posts
As you are being advised, USA and other locations are not getting the option of the heated seat/grips. These items seem to be destined for locations e.g. Europe at the expense of other locations. It's as though someone who probably doesn't ride bikes makes decisions about what to include or exclude on bikes/scoots for markets. What's worse, is that many places have cold/wet conditions, even places that can have high temperatures most of the time, can and do get bloody cold at times... The various regional buyers/distributors need to get real...

You aren't mistaken OP there is a thread or two where individuals have looked to add these 'optional extras' on the 2013/2014 (L3/L4) model and from what I recall reading on such threads, all the plugs and space for fuses are in place on the L3+ models that don't have the heated seat/grips installed OEM.

As for the decision over which model... if you buy pre-2012, keep in mind that there are two model variants, the standard model and the executive model... the latter of which comes with ABS, electronic operated mirrors, and electronic adjustable screen. The standard models doesn't come with these items. IMO get the executive model if you buy 2012 or older.

The 2013+ have for all intents and purposes done away with the executive moniker, so the ABS, electronic adjustable mirrors and screen come standard, though in reality the executive is now the model with the heated grips and seat on the L3+, but only in those markets (EU & Canada) where such model options are offered.

As for whether to buy between a 2012 or earlier viz a viz 2013 or 2014... get the latest model your money will buy. If you can stretch for a near new or low mileage 2013/2014, go with it IMO, as the 2003-2012 will drop pricing substantially as the 2013/2014+ penetrate the market and as these models make it onto the second hand market and the 2003-2012 models will be considered the facelift model. Then again if you can find a 2010-2012 low mileage executive with a topbox and maybe heated grips (aftermarket) for the right coin, then also worthy contenders IMO.

My 2014 exhaust design looks better IMO, and doesn't stick out as far past the back wheel as such, and IMO doesn't sound significantly louder at all compared to my 2007 or 2003 exec's.

YMMV.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I installed the OEM heated seat and grips on my 2013. Luckily the USA wire harness has all the connections and the install is plug and play. I don't even think the heated seat is listed as an accessory here in the states. Maybe the guys that are selling them on eBay, which is where I got mine, are getting them from Canada.

Here's where I got both the heated grips and seat.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/161125379285?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

As far as I know a 2013 model year is identical to a 2014 model year except for the color. And I much prefer the pearl white of the 2013 instead of the matte grey of the 2014. But to each their own. But you can get a new 2013 model for a couple of thousand less than a 2014 model.

As for quiet, the exhaust on the 2013 Burg is very quiet. It is one of the quietest bike I have ever owned.

·
Registered
925 Posts
Good luck on your search, please let us know what you buy and how you modify it when you finally pull the trigger.

·
Registered
5,589 Posts
Unless you want a new 2013/2014 model, shop around for a nice clean 2nd hand one which can be purchased at a great price.

There are a lot of left over 2013 650s out there sitting on show room floors, I have seen them go for as low as $7k.

good luck...

PS: aftermarket heated grips can easily be added at much better prices and the seat can easily be turned / modified into a heated one.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Here in Honolulu the only Suzuki dealer on the Island is still asking $1099.00 for a '13 PLUS state tax. 7k sounds like a steal in Hawaii. I'm gonna gonna drive and smile my '09 : )

·
Registered
175 Posts
Are the heated rips a simple plug n play too?
At least on the 2013 they are. For $225.00 you get everything you need, grips, controller, bracket for the controller and it all just plugs into the bike's wire harness. Seems like a reasonable price to me. Sure you can buy some after market heater grips that will work just fine and cost much less but they are probably not going to be plug and play like the OEM ones.

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
Here in Honolulu the only Suzuki dealer on the Island is still asking $1099.00 for a '13 PLUS state tax.
Wow $1,100 is cheap depending on sales tax. :D

·
Registered
23 Posts
Yes, a 2013 can be had in the 7k range, I just picked mine up last week, it had 2985 miles on it. I paid 7100.00 and riding it like I stole it, what an awesome ride!

·
Premium Member
6,179 Posts
Need heated seats & grip no problem just park it by mine down here in the desert by Palm Springs Ca. Only going to be 111 today. You'll find the whole thing will be heated. :laughing5:

·
Registered
345 Posts

·
Administrator
20,096 Posts
As you are being advised, USA and other locations are not getting the option of the heated seat/grips. These items seem to be destined for locations e.g. Europe at the expense of other locations. It's as though someone who probably doesn't ride bikes makes decisions about what to include or exclude on bikes/scoots for markets. What's worse, is that many places have cold/wet conditions, even places that can have high temperatures most of the time, can and do get bloody cold at times... The various regional buyers/distributors need to get real...

<<<SNIP>>>
London Ontario, Canada (Lat 42.9837) is lower latitude than Roseburg Oregon (43.2181). I live at about 47.3 Degrees Latitude. Most of Canada is well above the higest point in USA.

·
Registered
69 Posts
If you're going to get a 650 Burg, get a 2013/2014....redesigned model thats lighter, easier maneuverability moving it around with the ignition off (less drag from the clutch) better low speed handling, much nicer dash with analog gauges (IMO) and a better looking scoot overall.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts