Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went out today to shop for a scooter for me (5'3" woman), intending to choose between a Honda Helix or Reflex. The Reflex was beautiful but uncomfortable. The Helix felt great but looked like a lawnmower. Then the dealer (Honda & Suzuki) said, "Have you considered a Burgman 400?"

They have a used Burg, 2003 model, under warranty, for $4500. It looks well cared for. The previous owner traded it and an Elite 80 in on a Goldwing.

I thought the Burg would be much too much machine for me but I could put my feet flat on the ground and the steering felt comfortably close. My Honda-Shadow-rider daughter came along as advisor. When we talked privately later she said, "Definitely get the Burgman." She doesn't think I'll have any trouble riding it, even thought it would be my first scooter. I'm enrolled in the Basic Rider MSF course later this month.

What do you experts think? Is $4500 a good deal? Is the Berg too big for a first-timer? Thanks! Suzette

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Suzette,

I think the Burgman 400 is an excellent choise for a first time buyer. It is heavier than some smaller motorcycles but the weight is low and balances very well. I took the MSF course a month ago and found the 400 handles almost everything as well as the smaller bikes. The only exception is "the box" since the 400 is longer and requires a little more space for the S turn. If you pass the MSF, you will have no problems handling the 400. Just remember, on the 400 the left hand is the brakes, not the clutch. :)

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
The price (from a dealer) seems good and if you feel comfortable on it then I say go with the Burgman, of course my opinion is clouded by the fact that I have one and love it :)
The MSF course should give you the confidence you need .

·
Registered
6 Posts
dualsport

here in east Tn. you have to use the bikes they provide. I used a suzuki dualsport that no one else wanted and am the only one who passed at 100%. while I like the bergmans and yes its a fair deal to get a low milage one for that price it can't handle as well as a small light dualsport. :)

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Suzette, I've owned Helix, Reflex, and recently traded the Reflex for the 400 because: it handles just as easy in terms of on/of centerstand or pushing around garage or parking lot; has larger carrying space; handles better in curves; gas milage is just as good; and has power to spare; is much better suited for longer hauls (several hundred miles).
I loved the Reflex, and if it especially "grabs" you, you also can't go wrong with it either. It does have a slightly softer ride, is smooth and quiet.

Basically, you have a no-lose situation!

Let us know your decision.......

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Suzette, another thought: you may well have done this already, but if not, go to dealer, sit on both, roll them around a bit, and if they will allow, have your daughter ride both for comparison. After all, she knows what will be suitable for you.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Welcome--always good to see another woman getting involved in motorcycling/scooter! (No offense, guys!) :D

I'm 5'1" and the 400 suits me fine. In fact, I could even see moving up to a 650 at some point down the road. The scooter is soo much dang fun! It doesn't feel small but isn't too big to be manageable.

The best thing is to practice tight turns, etc. You'll pick it up quickly (the bike goes where your eyes go, especially in tight, low-speed turns) and will have a blast.

We considered a small cycle, and could have saved some money, but preferred the Burgie for size, power, storage, insurance, etc. And the sheer fun factor, which can't be understated. :D

Good luck with your decision and may you have many happy and safe miles, whatever your choice,

Bryna

·
Registered
194 Posts
suzhat

Hi,
Another women's opinion here, I am 46, 5'2 ( not telling you my weight hehe) and I was a first time rider on anything on two wheels, I bought the burgman 400 on the phone at a dealer here in NH, when I went to pick it up I was a little nervous at first because I thought "What have I done???)It seemed so heavy and awkward to me, but then!!!!! I drove it home, riding for the first time on my permit, practiced as much as possible, four weeks later , got my Motorcycle license with it( Here in NH they only allow you 4 weeks with a permit) You really have to practice alot in 4 weeks or you have to wait till the following year to try it again......permits expire in 30 days here :( , The only thing that still gets me a bit uncomfortable is, turning around at slow speeds, (like if you need to turn the bike around in a small area, still seems a bit awkward to me, but so far so good, and I am having a ball on it........love it!!!! So go for it and just be careful and take the course!!!! Diana

·
Registered
498 Posts
Hi Suzhat,

Some insight for you into the Burgman range:

Skywave/Burgman 250

Skywave/Burgman 400

No difference apart from a bored out engine beneath the seat, and a slight difference in the drivetrain. It's proportions are exactly the same as the AN250 - the seat height is identical at 695mm which allows even "small girls" to get their feet comfortable on the ground. It's only a little heavier. It is a bored out 250, and almost identical to the Relfex 250 and Majesty 250 in it's proprtions. It has more torque. Do not be frightened of it.

If it feels good, buy it.

Comparison to a Relfex 250:
Comfort - personal choice, but not much in it.
Performance - one is a 250, one is a 400. The Reflex 250 is not designed for prolonged highway use.
Carry space - AN400 wins hands down at 55litres (two full face helmets compared to the Reflex's one full face helmet and "jet" helmet.
Safety - the Reflex ABS model has to be the safest option.

Both are easy to ride, so buy what makes sense for you. Purchase of either will not be a mistake. Good luck.

Can I ask why you felt the Reflex was uncomfortable?

Lycheed

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Lycheed,

I met a fellow yesterday who was in the process of purchasing a Burgman. He had previously owned both a Honda Helix and a Reflex. I mentioned that I considered the Reflex to be a much better looking scooter than the Helix. He said that he greatly prefered the Helix. Something about the riding position and foot placement on the Reflex felt extremely awkward to him. I've never sat on a Reflex myself, but the next time I see one at a dealership I might, just out of curiousity...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Lycheed,

Thank you for the very valuable information about the 250 vs. the 400. You asked:

Can I ask why you felt the Reflex was uncomfortable?

Although I could stand over the bike just fine, the reach was too long for me. I had to lean forward in the seat to control the handlebars. Because my arms were so extended, I didn't have a secure feeling in my shoulders and upper arms. I was worried that a pothole or rock might send me flying at about 45 MPH.

The Burgman and Helix felt very close and comfortable in comparison.

Suzette

·
Premium Member
508 Posts
Suz:

I dithered over the EXACT same machines. Liked the Helix 'cause it feels so similar to my little Honda Elite. Liked the Reflex 'cause it weighs less than the Burgman, and, as a gal myself, I was worried about the 400's seemingly huge size.

Bought my Burgman 400 'cause it was clearly the best value for the money, and I haven't regretted it for a moment.

Go for it. You won't grow out of the Burgman any time soon, but you could easily grow out of either of those Hondas.

Good luck & good riding,
Chris

1 - 13 of 13 Posts