Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am curious if anyone here is using a Shoei Z-II helmet, and if so, what you think of it.

With the big XXL Clearview on the 650, any of my 3 helmets worked fine. Now that I have gone back to the stock windscreen, the old Shoei RF-800 is the only one I have that is reasonably quiet and ventilates pretty well. I'm tall, so the wind is hitting me right at the base of the helmet.

The new Shoei RF-1000 doesn't fit my head shape. But the Z-II, which is a step up from the RF series should fit. I looked at an XL size this afternoon (I'd need the XXL), and I was impressed with the build quality, venting system, etc.. I was told that it is even quieter that the RF series and ventilates exceptionally well. MSRP is $422.99, but Ron Ayers quoted me a price of $327.29 and free shipping. Pricey, but Shoei is excellent quality - and they are the only helmet manufacturer that has their own wind tunnel for testing during development.

So if you wear a Shoei Z-II, tell me what you think. If you have another brand & model of full face helmet that you think is exceptionally quiet when it is "in the wind", that would also be of interest.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Shoei TZ-1

I just purchased a Shoei TZ-1 to replace the HJC that saved my life or at least saved me from a broken neck when the van turned left across my path less than 10 metres in front of me. :cry:

I have never heard of this model before, but the dealer assured me it was a very quiet helmet, and it had the colour I wanted. :lol: (Bright yellow stripes for visibility.) I haven't worn it yet because my Burgman 650 is still in the shop due to lack of parts.

If anyone knows anything about this helmet, pro :) or con :( , I'd like to hear it.

Richard

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Richard,

I did end up buying the Shoei Z-Two, and I like it very much. I looked at the TZ-1. It is two levels down from the Z-Two in price and features, but it looked like a very good helmet. The Z-Two has a different outer shell that is supposed to be better, it has a removeable (washable) liner, and it has a somewhat better ventilation system. It costs considerably more than the TZ-1 though.

I've owned at least four Shoei helmets along the way. All were very good to excellent. I don't think you could go wrong with any Shoei helmet, as long as it fits you properly.

I found a great deal on the Z-Two on the web ($100 under MSRP) so I was able to swing it. My backup choice would have been the TZ-1.

·
Registered
92 Posts
TZ-1

Paul,

Thanks for the information. It is so difficult, here, to buy a helmet as the prices don't seem to have any relationship to those in the US and all the web sites on helmets only give US prices.

When I have, twice now, gone to buy a helmet with a list of helmets to look at either the dealer doesn't have those, or not in my size or colour or the prices are five times the US prices. The TZ-1 cost me $339 marked down from $700. They didn't have a single Shoei helmet in the store that was my size with a removable liner. (My size is XL by the way.) Not to even mention that I wanted a colour that was predominantly yellow for visibility and to contrast with the blue Burgman.

Just pray for me that I get my bike back soon as I had only had it 14 days and it was my first ever bike so hard won skills are fading rapidly. (The accident happened May 30th.)

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I paid $339.95 USD for the Z-Two. I also wear a size XL. So the difference in cost was basically whatever the US-Canadian dollar exchange rate is... I used to keep up with that when I was traveling to Toronto on business, but I haven't checked it for several years.

I bought the "Silky White" color. I read an article on vehicle colors once. Yellow was rated as having the highest visibility, and White was second. There were many motorcycles in the Black Hills area when I was there last week - and White helmets seemed to be very popular with the touring crowd. I also saw quite a few Yellow Honda Goldwings. It is impossible to not see a yellow motorcycle that large. I saw one yellow Honda Helix scooter - and it also was highly visible. If I ever decide to repaint my Burgman - it will be yellow.

Don't sweat the skills. They'll come right back. Just take it easy the first couple of days. I go through that every Spring after the snow melts....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts