Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My executive is 12 years old with 5500 miles. Are there any ways to tell if the shocks need to be replaced? Stand up comedy, I mean sit down comedy responses need not reply. Have a great day and keep the rubber down.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
My executive is 12 years old with 5500 miles. Are there any ways to tell if the shocks need to be replaced? Stand up comedy, I mean sit down comedy responses need not reply. Have a great day and keep the rubber down.
And or springs

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
Unless the is oil leaking I would not worry about it. With an average of 458 miles a year I really don’t think you will notice any difference In new shocks.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Unless the is oil leaking I would not worry about it. With an average of 458 miles a year I really don’t think you will notice any difference In new shocks.
Thanks Chief....just went outside and tried to turn the dial, with scoot on the center stand, and could only turn the left side adjuster from 1 to 2 and the right side from one to 3. Is it alright to spray it with WD 40 or silicone spray?

·
Premium Member
3,443 Posts
Thanks Chief....just went outside and tried to turn the dial, with scoot on the center stand, and could only turn the left side adjuster from 1 to 2 and the right side from one to 3. Is it alright to spray it with WD 40 or silicone spray?
Sure you can spray em just don’t let the over spray get to your brakes or rotors.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
WD 40 worked but it took a couple of bruised knuckles to get the 12 year unmoved dials to turn. I think I will occasionally turn them to keep them freed up. Now I just need to see what kind of ride feels best for my putt putting around.....

·
Administrator
18,687 Posts
The 1-5 sittings are JUST preload sittings and has nothing at all to do with dampening rates. The #1 setting is light spring preload and of course #5 is maxed.

Would you see any benefit of going to aftermarket springs and shocks? Maybe, Maybe Not.

I did see an improvement when I did that but it then showed me that the front forks springs and dampening was crap. So I had to modify them too.

Over all this was about a 20% improvement (Toward Goldwing smoothness) but cost me about $225 and HOURS of time.

Each Butt is different.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The 1-5 sittings are JUST preload sittings and has nothing at all to do with dampening rates. The #1 setting is light spring preload and of course #5 is maxed.

Would you see any benefit of going to aftermarket springs and shocks? Maybe, Maybe Not.

I did see an improvement when I did that but it then showed me that the front forks springs and dampening was crap. So I had to modify them too.

Over all this was about a 20% improvement (Toward Goldwing smoothness) but cost me about $225 and HOURS of time.

Each Butt is different.
My wife is going to ride with me for the first time today to go get a burger for supper. Between the two of us that's about 300 lbs. Figured I would put the settings on #3 and see how it goes. Probably wouldn't notice much difference between 1-5 as you said that they were just preload settings. Thanks for the post....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts