Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Warning to all who might be looking at shipping companies:
I signed up with Daily Direct (Haul Bikes) out of WI. As the contract says dates are not guaranteed I called to see if my Burgman would be on a certain days run/truck. I specifically stated to the rep. l that if they could not guarantee it would be on the truck of the 21st (of Feb.)I did not want to go with them. The rep. called me back to state it would be on the truck leaving the 21st and I should expect delivery by the end of the first week in March. After several days I stillhad heard nothing. I called them back and was told that there had been numerous delays and problems, and all but guaranteed me that it would be picked up Monday or Tuesday of the following week and I should have it on the 9th or 10th, as they had a truck coming to my town to pick up a trailer on the 9th. As it was not picked then I called and was informed the dirver did not leave out until the next Tuesday and I woudln't get it until sometime between the 14th and 28th. I had finally had enough, and in needing it quicker than that for several reasons cancelled and flew to get it and ride it home. The company refunded all but $25, claiming that was for contract processing and it was in their contract. I went around in circles with them, including the general manager, telling him I specifically asked the rep., in knowing what the contract said about no guarantee of dates and was told it would be on the truck leaving out the 21st. I also relayed being told by a supervisor of things (as above). He claims that as the contract states what it does ($25.00 cancellation) they won't return the $25.00. He claims the rep. didn't guarantee things. I told him she may not have used those specific words, but in answering my specific question that if they couldn't gauarntee it would go on the 21st and then even calling me back to verifiy it would, in a sense did guarantee things. It was useless to try to talk sense to him. So I was lied to several times and they hide behind things because of what a contract stated. So hopefully in posting this it will prevent others from getting burned from them, and hopefully everyone will spread the word not to do business with them. I told the general manager that I hoped ripping me off of $25 was worth the lost business as I was going to post what happened everywhere I could. He didn't seem to care, but I hope it eventually hits his pocketbook when he finds out people are not doing business with them. Everyone's help in spreading the word is appreciated.

·
Registered
925 Posts
How can they stay in business? I wonder how many other people they have done this to? :evil:

·
Registered
152 Posts
Thanks for posting this. I appreciate the Buyer Beware stories. I don't know if they ship in Canada but I for one will not use them now. Price is one thing but means nothing if customer service isn't with it.

- Silver

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Unfortunately, that isn't so unusual in the vehicle transporting business. I encountered similar delays in shipping a car when I moved from Connecticut to Nebraska recently. Many of these companies use independent truckers who have flatbeds (in the case of cars), and each individual hauler only works specific regions. So in the case of my car, it actually got transfered between several different truckers before arriving in Omaha. The company you deal with is often little more than a scheduler, with very loose control if any over the truckers who actually carry the vehicle. The day before I was scheduled to move, they hadn't picked up my car yet in Connecticut (they were a week late), and wanted me to leave it in the driveway until someone picked it up. Obviously I couldn't do that - it wasn't my house anymore. They finally did get a local garage to store the car until they could pick it up.

The moving business in general is fraught with outright cheats. It seems to be very poorly regulated. When I was researching for both a household mover and an auto mover, I read many horror stories. Some movers actually kidnap your possessions and ask triple the agreed upon price as ransom at the destination. The law enforcement agencies are often of little help. I finally picked a mover based on recommendations from someone at work. I went with the vehicle mover I used based on a recommendation from my primary mover. It was a very stressful experience. Unfortunately, my wife and I are now too old and have too much "stuff" to move ourselves as we did when we were younger, so we had to contract out. We did most of our own packing, but we paid the mover to pack "fragile items". They would not insure them otherwise. The only breakage we experienced from the move was in the stuff they packed! The hastle of applying for a claim was so much that we just ate the losses - fortunately these weren't high priced items, but some of them were favorite items of my wife, stuff not easily replaced.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
camrakid wrote
Warning to all who might be looking at shipping companies
That just about covers it.What happened to you could happen with any shipper (and has).
I would think a lot of them would give back your total deposit. Can only wonder if the manager is working for the company or his own pocket.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ship warning update

I sent an e-mail to shipvehicles.com and he is going to talk to the owner of Daily Direct to see what he can get accomplished. Could be interesting to see where it goes. Daily Direct may pay them a % to list with them, etc. or someone may be getting paid, so hopefully he can get it resolved. Word of mouth does in fact do wonders sometimes.

I'll post an update as developments come to me.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Sorry to hear of your troubles Camerakid. I have lived all over the country, including Omaha and have always had my vehicle included with my furniture to the next destination. Fortunately for me, I did not have any problems with shipment. I have never shipped separately, but I would imagine that the problem would be the same if you forgot to load a piece of furniture. It will be passed to whatever trucker happens to be in your part of the country.

Hopefully you will be refunded your 25.00, but at least you got your scoot :)

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Sorry!

I chose Daily Direct from http://www.shipvehicles.com as well. They told me originally about 10 days. I wasn't too worried about a few days either way. They actually picked up the bike a day early so I thought things were moving along smoothly. When I called them after the bike had been picked up I was then told the end of February or the beginning of March which suspiciously coincided with Daytona Bike Weeks here. The bike was picked up on February 2nd. I received it February 26th!

The people that delivered it were nice and the truck is truly set up for only motorcycles but I would not use them again if I needed the bike in a hurry. I would not recommend them for speedy delivery however they did seem to take great care of the bikes, including mine which was wrecked anyway.

I have had several cars/vans shipped back and forth across the country and have never been cheated or had a problem until now. I would have rather spent the extra money and received the bike faster.

I hope you feel the Burgman was worth it. Sorry you had so much trouble! I am concerned about recommending shipvehicles.com again...I think I will email them as well. I am not looking to get any money back but it may help your cause.

Dee

·
Premium Member
4,919 Posts
Ahhh...the good 'ol service industry at it's "late-model" finest.

I (and am sure many of us..) feel for you both.

Examples abound of buisnesses that hire staff who really could care less about you or your wanting to enable their boss (the owner) to provide them with a paycheck (i.e. - give them YOUR MONEY). It's transparent to them. Seems if there is more than ten employees, then that kind of "concern" starts to wane expoentially.

It has to be different now than it was "back in the day."

Don't know. It's a conundrum ....I do know that there is a lot of good service personnel out there still, but finding the right one, or "being in the right place at the right time" is becoming harder and harder to do.

If I ever have to ship anything like you guys have, I'll definitely keep this thread in mind.

Thanks for the heads up.

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
Sorry to hear about your problems.

Don't expect to get you $25 back, though. They are absolutely correct that what is in writing is what counts. Unless you got the rep's "oral agreement" in writing too, then it can't override the written contract. Even then it might not; there may be a clause in the contract saying something to the effect that no one other than company officers (which the phone rep probably isn't) can alter the contract.

Chock it up to lessons learned. $25 is cheap compared to what some have had to pay for similar "lessons."

1 - 11 of 11 Posts