Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Anyone try Shinkos on the 400?

Time for a new front tire. I've been a fan of Dunlop Scooterline for the little burg, but they are getting pricy. I love my Shinko rear on the 650, thought I might give one a go on the 400 front.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I haven't read many reviews on the 400 Shinko specifically.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Shinko tires are probably one of the lowest priced tires on the market but it doesn't mean they are poor quality or substandard. I have heard good and bad about them, those that buy them usually have a Love or Hate attitude toward them. Shinko got their start making bicycle tires and moved up to what they are today. They have been making tires a long time, but then, they are still one of the lowest price tires out there. I would compare them to Kenda, which I have also used. I personally prefer the Bridgestone Hoop tires, and would not buy Shinko or Kenda regardless of the low price. There are horror stories and praiseworthy performance about almost any tire you buy, from the top of the line to the dregs of the tire world. I personally did not have any problem with the Shinko (or Kenda) except they wore out slightly faster than the Bridgestone. Give them a try and let us all know..

·
Registered
1 Posts
I experienced Shinko on my 650. Now I use rear Michelin Pilot sport and front Power Pure. Obviously I can compare. I can say nothing bad about rear, but it was impossible to install front one properly. As a result front wheel jumped a bit. We tried several times without success. Speaking about traction I would say that Shinko was better in front, and was worse in rear. The general impression is more negative....

·
Registered
413 Posts
I've got them on the front and back of my 400 now and they seem to handle as good as the Bridgestones that the bike had on it. I haven't had them long enough to give any longterm views though. They seem fine to me so far - good wet weather traction to.

·
Registered
427 Posts
I have run them multiple times on a 250 scooter. They wore fast, had tread separation, and were a poor value.

I just installed by hand a Metzler FeelFree on the front of my Burgman 400. Good smooth performance and manners are ok. Maybe a little better than the Mich Sport Pilot SC on the front, not quite as good as the B-stone Hoop.

I personally will not run Shinko again based on my experience, and a front tire should last twice as long as a rear, so get a major brand. Michelen, Metzler, Diablo, not worth the risk for pennies over the life of the tire.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I have run Shinko's on two motorcycles and they performed well. On one grip was very good which resulted in fast wear. On the other wear was very good, grip was ok, but they were bad at following highway sipes.

I have no complaints on Bridgestone Hoops and will continue to use them.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Korean companies are on their way to becoming major players in the tire business so count on seeing more styles, better tires, and higher prices from them as they gain share.

·
Registered
317 Posts
I have never heard of Dunlop Scooterline tires for the Burgman. How did they perform? I don't mind paying extra for quality tires. My dad told me long ago, " never buy cheap batteries or tires", and I have always followed that advice.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have never heard of Dunlop Scooterline tires for the Burgman. How did they perform? I don't mind paying extra for quality tires. My dad told me long ago, " never buy cheap batteries or tires", and I have always followed that advice.
http://www.dunlop.eu/dunlop_uk/mc/tyres/scooter/Scootline_SX01.jsp

I ran Dunlops most of the bikes life and like them very much. About 10k out of both front & back. Good grip, nice tire. I'm surprised hardly anyone on BUSA seems to knows about them.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Premium Member
6,179 Posts
Only ran one Shinko on the rear of my 400. If you want to change them every 4 to 5K they are cheap. I stuck with Diablos as they gave me the best $ per mile of anything I tried. Didn't last the longest just cheapest cost per mile. ;)

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Only ran one Shinko on the rear of my 400. If you want to change them every 4 to 5K they are cheap. I stuck with Diablos as they gave me the best $ per mile of anything I tried. Didn't last the longest just cheapest cost per mile. ;)
Yes, that's what I suspected. The Shinko 5k is fine on the 650 rear as most tires seem to run that milage. May as well save a few bucks.

But I know the 400 is capable of truly running 10k on the Dunlops, even with my abuse. So sticking with their Scooterline.

·
Registered
133 Posts
im sticking with the bridgestone hoop. i get 30,000 miles out of the front and 15,000 miles out of the rear. i put a different tire on the rear and saved some money but lost 3,000 miles too. cant remember the name of the tire i put on the rear. its been a long time ago.
i wish i knew of a better tire to put on the front because the front tire scallops, which causes vibration after many miles.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i wish i knew of a better tire to put on the front because the front tire scallops, which causes vibration after many miles.
All my tires get scallops too. It's from hard braking and lots of twisties in my case. But 30k is fantastic for a front tire. I've never heard of one lasting that long. Consider yourself lucky, scallops and all.

·
Premium Member
797 Posts
Guess some Like and some Do Not Like SHINKO. As usual - varying opinions on everything. :confused: I will try SHINKO on Front and find out for myself.

Only about 14,000 on Scooter on front and not needed yet. Present Hoop (came with it) shows some scalloping (guess that is what you call the uneven wear). I don't worry about it as have seen that on many MCs of all kinds.

Switched to Car Tire on Burgman 400 Rear at about 6200 miles when HOOP wore out. I can't imagime getting the miles on front or rear that some claim.

I have a SHINKO in basement for next replacement. I needed a tire for NINJA Rear (basically near slick and I had plugged it about 500 miles ago while waiting for new tire). I will also need for front for NINJA Front soon. So, I ordered KENDAs for NINJA (F and R) and SHINKO (F) for the Burgman 400 at same time - save shipping if order over $100 (CHAPPARAL).

I have been using KENDA on my NINJA 500 for last 40,000 or so miles (Since OEM wore out). Happy with KENDA.

Friend had SHINKO on his MC and liked.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
My scolloping has been stopped by using Dynabeads when doing a front tire change over.
Hmm, I'll look into that. Thanks for the tip.

·
Registered
709 Posts
The front Shinkos do fine, it's the rears that flatten out at 3-5k....

I have used dynabeads for years, but I prefer the liquid products such as "ride on"... The beads can be a nuisance when putting in... I also like the self sealing idea of the Ride On products.

My son's bicycle has eight punctures in six weeks, I finally went to Walmart got a can of No Flat sealer. It's been up ever since.

·
Premium Member
302 Posts
I tried Shinkos. New tires that failed my scooter on State Inspection because the grooves had cracks in them. Turned around and bought another set of Bridgestone Hoop OEMs. Those seem to give the best combo of mileage and rideability.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts