Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Okay men so I decided to take her out tonight for a full throttle run with the Gps on!!! .... I had just put a pair of Shinko on 1200 miles ago, and I did not recheck the tire pressure tonight, as I have miss placed my little air pressure gauge... Everything felt fine for my first 20 miles then I climbed onto the interstate... I full throttled her to 83 mph registered by the GPS, which was 90mph on the clock, and we covered about 5 miles like that. I was bucking a headwind and have a givi screen.

All of a sudden, She got shaky on the front and then I had to abort, just so happens an exit was right there, and that's where I pulled over with a flat front tire. It had not felt heavy on the front at all prior!!

Now that is dark, I use my flashlight on my phone to remove the air compressor from the luggage department and blew the tire back up to 30 PSI. The tire was hot and held pressure and shows no sign of a puncture. I can only think that must've been low on pressure, but if there has been any other scary issues with these tires, i'm going back to Bridgestone.

Any other reviews on these tires??

·
Registered
341 Posts
I bet you check the pressure next time you want to go that fast. (That's the only thing I can think of since it was hot)
Glad you weren't hurt!

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
I bought a set several months ago that lasted 800 miles . I picked up a VERY TINY piece of plastic tail light that punctured the rear tire . Then at the same time the front tire started leaking air very slowly , like a couple pounds a day . I ordered a set of Bridgestone OEM's now every thing is fine again in Reaper land . Some people have had good luck with them like LaDude and that's the only reason I even tried a set . They were great for 800 miles , then they went straight in the pooper . If some one were to give me a free set of Shinko's I wouldn't take them , even of they installed them for free.

TheReaper!

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I know what you mean brothers... It's my fault for not doing the right thing and I know better... However I think I'm going to get the michelins next time if this one keeps seeping down! That was a hairy 85 mile-per-hour lol, gave me a little tickle!

·
Registered
4,876 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Your link isn't working for me, but if those are the little "pop up" pressure indicators, do NOT trust them for a second.

Read the reviews... I can personally vouch they are horribly inaccurate.
Oh have no fantasies that they're super accurate. But within 5-10 lbs, they're probably okay. Enough to indicate that there's a problem and need to check with a proper meter.

·
Registered
5,583 Posts
I am on my second front and soon to be 4th rear shinkos and I have never had any issues with either the front or rear losing air at any speed.

I run 38 psi on the front and 42 psi on the rear tire. I check them weekly.

I often run at 75-90 mph on the highway and the scoot has always been super stable.

I think most of the issues reported on the forum about the shinkos are more owner related rather
than product related.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I agree, I truly believe it was neglect on my part, but I have lost air somewhere. time for the bubbles test!!! The front tire shows 33 max psi but I know more can help sometimes

How long are the rears lasting? I had 10500 on the Bridgestone

·
Administrator
18,743 Posts
Chappy, just remember that a 650 riders report is not how a 400 rider will view a tire. They are different even between same brand and name.

That said, I have my front Shinko mounted but had a valve stem issue so I have not put it on the bike yet. But so far it feels nice. :lol:

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I want to see 9-11k as I do a 100 miles per day summertime. They were easy to install and the balance beads work great, no signs at all of bounce!

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
Balance Beads? Hmmmm
If your talking about dynabeads or a similar product you might want to recheck your valve stem. Those beads can get stuck in the valve and cause a slow leak. Always fill your tire with the valve stem in the up position to avoid valve issues with dynabeads!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Oh have no fantasies that they're super accurate. But within 5-10 lbs, they're probably okay. Enough to indicate that there's a problem and need to check with a proper meter.
I wish I could say I check pressure every time I ride, but in reality it is more like once a week...

I do, however, give both tires a hard squeeze before every ride after a scary incident on my old ZX6...

Took it out for a ride one day and everything was fine, took it out the next day through some twisties and something wasn't quite right. Got home to check tire pressure and it was down 20 psi. Noticed a little air noise while checking the pressure after adding air, wiggled the valve stem lightly and it broke off in my hand...

At 10 or so psi under your normal pressure, you can feel the give in the tire when you give them a squeeze, and don't have to worry about a rock breaking one of those pressure caps off, which can then leak out your air, as they keep your valve stem opened so they can monitor the pressure.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
That's good info men...Tire was up this morning...I did air them up with stem upwards as the instructions said...I think i'm going to bubble the tire tonight when i get my squeezy bottle out.

WHAT DO YOU ALL THINK OF THAT 'INSTANT SEAL' stuff that they make for sealing up a tire as you run over a nail???? I know that won't fix neglect lol

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
I'd have a real good look at the valves and if you haven't got them fit metal covers.

·
Premium Member
6,179 Posts
Chappy.............Like Dave_J said the Skinko on 650 seem to be okay. I mounted one on the rear of my 400 & only lasted 5k. :(
What do you ride?

·
Registered
220 Posts
I find it pretty ironic that you used Shinko Tires as the full story, when the title should have been something like I don't check my tire pressure every time I ride. It sounded like the blame was put Shinko Tires, when the blame should have been elsewhere. Many riders tend to put the blame on the tires, when most tire wear is from improper tire inflation of the tires themselves. My tire gauge cost $25.00 and it's the best $25.00 I've spent over the years, It's probably the first thing in motorcycle safety before riding.

John

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
WHAT DO YOU ALL THINK OF THAT 'INSTANT SEAL' stuff that they make for sealing up a tire as you run over a nail???? I know that won't fix neglect lol
Good stuff but can't be used with dynabeads as it will clump up and Un-Balance your tire!!!

1 - 20 of 44 Posts