Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
794 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought I would start a topic on the SHINKO front tire I instaled on a Burgman 400.

PICTURES:

First two pictures show the SHINKO beside a worn OEM Hoop before replacement and one of teh 'Scalloping" on the OEM Hoop after 19,900 miles. I would say that mostly showed up the last 4000 miles of use - not a lot of effect on handling for my riding. I call my rdie style moderate aggressive on a lot of curvy roads in East TN - think of the Dragon.

Next two pictures of the SHINKO mounted and after 4000 miles of use. Pictures do not show a lot, but it seems the center is going to wear a long time and very little scalloping so far.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
I'm thinking of trying a Shinko next time. Just because a lot of people spend a lot of energy discussing tires. So I'll keep an eye for your follow-ups.
It's just a tire- if it doesn't wear as long, no big deal. I lost more money on my old Harley than I've spent to BUY this Burgman + all I've put into it. :D

·
Registered
413 Posts
I've had one on the front and back of mine for 9000 miles, just replaced the back with a Michelin Pilot III, but the front one is still got tread on it and its ok. I don't think I'll buy anymore though. Not a horrible tire, but handling on the freeway isn't very good. They follow every crack/line on the roads to.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Thought I would start a topic on the SHINKO front tire I instaled on a Burgman 400.

PICTURES:

First two pictures show the SHINKO beside a worn OEM Hoop before replacement and one of teh 'Scalloping" on the OEM Hoop after 19,900 miles. I would say that mostly showed up the last 4000 miles of use - not a lot of effect on handling for my riding. I call my rdie style moderate aggressive on a lot of curvy roads in East TN - think of the Dragon.

Next two pictures of the SHINKO mounted and after 4000 miles of use. Pictures do not show a lot, but it seems the center is going to wear a long time and very little scalloping so far.
I just had Shinko SR567 AND SR568 tires mounted, balanced and installed on my Burgman 650 Both for $148.00 out the door.
I have had some experience with Shinko's before and really liked how they grip the road especially when the roads are wet.
Let's face it, $148 for two tires balanced, mounted and installed is pretty darn
cheap. Sure they're not radials, but I don't NEED radials for the way I ride.

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
Make sure you guys Balance those tires, i used the Dynabeads on both tires and i have to say the Wear is Pefect, On my old tires Wear Pattern was Horrible becuze did not Balance them.. when i put them on..

I guess it's True that a Unbalanced tires Rides and Looks Horrible...

Dynabeads Helps it run good!!!

Great Job Paul 38Burg650 07, dumping those OEM Hoop,I never had any good Operation from those, But a gang of Flats... there not very good when you run over Objects , I had atleat 4 Flats with those Hoops, Have not had None with the old diablo tires, Replaced them becuze tires were not Balanced ,Uneven Wear,.

Been running Michelin Pure , With Dynabeads.. for awhile now and perfect wear Pattern no uneven low spots at all..

Good Luck all.

Elliott,

·
Premium Member
794 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Update on SHINKO after 5300 Miles of use. A picture is included.

Basically, all seems OK. Showing some wear flatness from Center over to my Chicken Strips. Some indication of scalloping. I expect scallping it to be worse if the tire goes as long as the OEM that I ran 19000 miles. NO Problem.

I repeat my riding style. I am not a Knee Dragging Hot Rod, but I ride and hang out (not dragging knee). Also, I live in East TN and most all my rides have a lot of curvy roads.

This is Dragon Country - if you do not know, the Dragon is a famous MC Destination Ride with 318 curves in 11 miles (GOOGLE It) and many roads like that around here.

Attachments

·
Registered
352 Posts
Why do you still have all those little, pointy things on the sides of your tires?

:D

Thanks for the updates, I may try these when my OEM's wear down. That will be a while, though. (Especially with all the cold, wet weather we're having here lately. Haven't ridden for a month now, and had to put the battery on the charger.)

·
Premium Member
794 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Pointy things are in my Chicken Strip. ;)

Reckon they will be on there til the end, maybe snip them off with snippers. :p

I just balance best I can using the axle as a hub and stick on weights. Seems to work OK. Maybe should try dyna beads.

Rear wheel on Burgman 400 - the axle method does not work because of spline gearing. I had a local Part Time Retired MC Guy (shop in basement) with a spin balancer do the Car Tire balance when I went to a Car Tire. Probably should just let him change tire ($15 change and balance - wheel off) and he is only about 15 miles from me (nice short MC ride over there - take wheel and tire to him using the other MC - NINJA 500).

By the way - for heck of it I will include tire pictures for the NINJA 500. KENDA tires are I think a close cousin to SHINKO.

17,400 on front tire. Around 16K to 17K is about average running them pretty slick. Note the flat wear from Center to Chicken Strip and Left Side of tire (left if on bike) is worn more. Some say due to road crown. I think it is more due to the fact that left hand curves are longer than right hand curves (so, leaned over longer to the left than to the right)

7,400 on rear tire. Around 6K to 7K is about average for the rear. This one is a little slicker in the center than what I usually allow. However, I do run well past the wear marks and don't worry on dry roads. Take it easier on wet roads and try to avoid rain riding anyway. Still have tread on edges for curves either wet or dry.

Attachments

·
Registered
709 Posts
My front shinko is doing very well,8000 miles, keeping a balancer in them does wonders...The rear shinko lasted 4000 miles even with a balance. 'Never again'!

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
I use the Harbor Freight MC balancer. No problems yet. No you can't balance the rear tire ON THE BIKE.
This B400 gets surprisingly good mileage from tires. Despite the skinny front tire.
My Concours 05 ate tires. But it had 100 HP :D and was +100 lbs over the Burger.

·
Premium Member
6,179 Posts
My front shinko is doing very well,8000 miles, keeping a balancer in them does wonders...The rear shinko lasted 4000 miles even with a balance. 'Never again'!
Like Chappy I had no luck with one on the rear of my 400 when I owned it. Mine did make 5k ;) :(

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
This last time around I got the balancer kit from marc parnes and some weights. My C50 used to take ozs (8-10 weights) to balance. The 400 took 10 gms for the rear and 5 gms (cut one weight in half) on the front. At this rate I'm set for weights for the next 10 sets of tires.

Our local Cycle Gear used to balance tires free, but this doesn't seem to be the case any longer. So I bought the marc parnes setup.

·
Premium Member
794 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Car Tire Rear - Check MY Post on that. Now over 19,000 miles and expect another 4000 or more.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Why not just balance with Dynabeads or something similar?

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
+1

I Can Testify on that, Love em, Very Smoove and Quiet on the Freeway!!

Elliott,

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
They are not compatible with some sealant systems and I have heard suggestions that they tend to grind themselves into dust after a period of use. As to the latter case, I have no experience with Dynabeads so I can't attest to whether this is the case or not. The sealant issue is a show stopper for me. Besides, as an acknowledged feature phone carrying Luddite, I resist change.

·
Registered
770 Posts
It's not new...my uncle remembers balancing dirt-track car tires with BBs in the 70's!

·
Premium Member
794 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Still going at 7800 miles - should have taken a picture of wear. I will do that soon.

Basically, the center is holding up well (must be harder rubber compound) and sides from center to my chicken strips are showing significant wear. Not a lot of cupping, but some.

I do not think it will last another 7000 miles. We shall see. At $48 purchase price, I will buy another. I install myself, so that cost is not an issue.

I went 19,900 on OEM Tire, but it was really worn and cupped significantly. Pushed the limit on it as pictures in first post show.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts