Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As a newer burgman owner shoul I feel my 650 shift when in auto also will it shift to 6th automatically

·
Registered
132 Posts
Yes, the burgman will shift into 6th somewhere around 70mph. If you are riding about 55-60 mph and go to manual shift you should be in 5th gear. You can manually shift into 6th gear which will be over drive and you will lose about 700 rpm. but once you hit 70+ you will be in 6th gear.
respectfully,
David miller

·
Premium Member
14,278 Posts
You will not feel it shift because it does not shift in the classical manner. It is a CVT, it has no gears. It has a metal belt running between two pulleys. It changes ratios by varying the widths of the pulleys. For that reason in auto mode you have an infinite number of gear ratios and the CVT smoothly moves through them gradually changing the actual ratio up and down.

In manual mode the CVT mimics a normal transmission and moves through 6 preprogrammed ratios within that infinite number it has to work with. If you shift between ratios in manual mode you will feel the steps between ratios that you do not feel in auto mode when the CVT does not make those big jumps.

Yes the CVT can go into it's highest range in auto mode which is the same as the 6th ratio in manual mode. It will only do that under certain circumstances when the ECM thinks that is the best ratio to be running in. Most of the time it will choose a ratio that is somewhere between the 5th and 6th ratios of manual mode. It will only choose the highest ratio under very light load conditions.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I rarely use the power mode or even shift my burgman manually. Some like to use these two features when riding "The Dragon" in the Smoky Mountains. Anymore I just leave it in the normal auto mode.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
I rarely use the power mode or even shift my burgman manually. Some like to use these two features when riding "The Dragon" in the Smoky Mountains. Anymore I just leave it in the normal auto mode.
I don't use the manual mode either. However, I do use the power mode frequently as a braking feature. Many of the roads I ride on are steeper and more crooked than the Dragon and the power mode works very well on steep downgrades to keep the brakes from excess wear and overheating.

·
Premium Member
249 Posts
90% of the time, I use auto mode, but in our little town, where there are lots of stop lights, I'll use manual until the traffic clears up. It's nice to have both options.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you for all the info. So far I love the burgman. Never thought a scooter could be so much fun

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
Power mode is useful for quick takeoffs from stoplights (but you're still somewhat limited by the clutch engagement delay).
I'll use it when I've lane-split at a light just to make sure I'm not holding up anyone I passed to get to the front*. Just courtesy, you know?

Note that above 60 MPH or so, it allows the engine to rev past its HP peak so you're better off without it at highway speeds.

* California, AKA:

·
Registered
213 Posts
While on this subject, is it OK to accelerate up to higher revs in Power mode, then click out and into normal mode? The owners manual isn't very clear about how to use (or not use) it. My '09 only has 650 miles on it so far, so I haven't really pushed it hard. And is it OK to move into and out of manual mode at speed? Again, the manual isn't very helpful.

Oh, and can you shift manually while in Power mode?

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
While on this subject, is it OK to accelerate up to higher revs in Power mode, then click out and into normal mode? The owners manual isn't very clear about how to use (or not use) it. My '09 only has 650 miles on it so far, so I haven't really pushed it hard. And is it OK to move into and out of manual mode at speed? Again, the manual isn't very helpful.

Oh, and can you shift manually while in Power mode?
Yes it's okay to shift from Drive to Power to Manual mode as you see fit while riding. No it won't shift in Power mode; its just a more aggressive mapping of the CVT power delivery system. Higher rpm "shift" points as it were.

Have fun!

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
From what I see with my Exec, if I am above 45-60 mph Power mode isn't as useful as it is below those speeds. I have seen Power mode explained as a manual passing gear but I don't really see that. Maybe I am holding my tongue wrong or something.

·
Registered
255 Posts
From what I see with my Exec, if I am above 45-60 mph Power mode isn't as useful as it is below those speeds. I have seen Power mode explained as a manual passing gear but I don't really see that. Maybe I am holding my tongue wrong or something.
I'm with DougInKY, I will manually shift into OD once I leave town and am running 55 ( the speed limit on my highway out of town) but other than that I leave it in Auto mode. I used the power button once just to say I used it, guess I drive like an old farmer so the power mode is Doo Daa to me. :D

Greg

·
Registered
704 Posts
My '12 running at 3000rpm runs from 17mph to 27mph. At 3250rpm indicated it runs from 28mph to 42mph. These speeds are on fairly flat road surface and constant speed. So in all practicality all town speeds are done at 3000 to 3500rpm as speeds around here are from 20mph to 45mph.

·
Registered
2 Posts
sticky shift

I just bought a 2009 Burgman 650 used with 1,700 miles on it. Something unusual happened yesterdaay. The trans got stuck in 1st gear and would not shift in automatic mode. It also would not let me go to manual to shift. When I stopped and turned the bike off it reset to automatic and shifted normally. It now has a nasty habit of downshifting on its own back to first gear.

Anyone else had this happen?

Bob Moe
4/22/2014

·
Registered
122 Posts
Your switch on the center stand is stuck and/or dirty. Need to check on it and this should fix the automatic problem.

As for downshifting on it's own. If you have it in manual and slow down, it will shift down to your highest gear allowed for your current speed automatically. It keeps you from stalling your engine at low speeds since you do not have a manual clutch.

Kim

·
Registered
806 Posts
Yes the CVT can go into it's highest range in auto mode which is the same as the 6th ratio in manual mode. It will only do that under certain circumstances when the ECM thinks that is the best ratio to be running in. Most of the time it will choose a ratio that is somewhere between the 5th and 6th ratios of manual mode. It will only choose the highest ratio under very light load conditions.[/QUOTE]

I've tried shifting from manual 6th gear to auto mode at high speed and the RPM always goes up. There are no long hills in southern Florida to try a lighten the load to see what would happen. At high speed the wind resistance would keep the load high. BTW: I have a 2012 650 Exec.

·
Premium Member
14,278 Posts
I've tried shifting from manual 6th gear to auto mode at high speed and the RPM always goes up. There are no long hills in southern Florida to try a lighten the load to see what would happen. At high speed the wind resistance would keep the load high. BTW: I have a 2012 650 Exec.
That is what I would expect it to do. I have been able to go from manual 6th to auto and not have the rpm to go up but I was only running about 60 to 65 and on level or downhill grade in light winds. The majority of the time even at those speeds the rpm will go up but not as much as it does if I shift to manual 5th which tells me the ECM is selecting a ratio somewhere between manual 5th and 6th.

·
Registered
585 Posts
* California, AKA:
Thats one of the few things about California I'm envious of - the other would be California Highway 1 above Frisco. One of the finest stretches of highways on the coast. It almost rivals what we call the North Cascades Highway - Washington Highway 20 that passes through the North Cascades National Park.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
Yes, there is a lower threshold of 3000 rpm which the CVT controller tries to keep the motor over, until it reaches the lowest ratio.

This is one of the annoyances that have been removed on the new face-lifted version, along with generally less rpm at all speeds up to the limit given by the max ratio.
The result is better fuel economy at the cost of having to twist the throttle more to accelerate as fast.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts