Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everybody!

I have a problem with my burgy. When I'm riding in automatic mode and reach about 90-110 km/h sometimes the F1 warning light comes on and shifting the gears is inhibited. In dealer mode it shows the error code C51, but the symptons are the same which are in the service manual on page 182 (6-21) which describes that shifting to manual mode is inhibited, reduction ratio is fixed to an equivalent ratio to 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th range. All shifting is inhibited. If I'm riding in manual mode the light doesn't go on. If I'm riding in automatic mode to 90 km/h, and then I switch to manual mode the F1 light doesn't go on.

When this warning light goes on I must switch off the engine (while I'm riding) with the killer, immidiately turn it on and the light goes off and the CVT starts operating. This problem appears in every 30-50 km, only in automatic mode and only above 90 km/h.

Have you ever heard about the same problem? What may be the problem? It might be something with the pulley position sensor? Or something else? It really makes me nervous, because I have bought this Burgman just 1 months ago, and after 500 km this problem has appeared :( . Anyway, I'm talking about a Burgman 650 year 2003 with 50000 km on the tacho.

Thank you for every reaction!

·
Premium Member
6,063 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the link... there was written that it happened everytime when he shifted to 5th gear. But in my case only in automatic mode, only above 90 km/h and just sometimes. No one has the same problem?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi from Aussie, I'm having the identical problem the bike has been in the shop 3 times for a total of 15 days they are still unsure of the problem, going back in on wednesday to have the drive motor in the gearbox renewed will keep you informed of the outcome'

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi all a new drive moter was fitted to the gearbox only made things work as a last ditch effort as now have spent over $1100 trying to get it fixed, I got them to fit a new pulley sensor in the gearbox, this has fixed the problem & the scoot now is going as good as new, so those with the same problem this is most likely the fix that will work.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Oh yea sorry forgot to say mine sterted playing up in auto only then got so bad it would only do 6 or 7k before it played up in both auto & manual mode I hope this helps

·
Premium Member
6,063 Posts
Thanks for the information on the 650. Despite the costs, I'm glad to hear that you've got it fixed.

Because I want to catalog your experience in the BKB correctly, I wanted to confirm what you replaced.

I understand that you replaced the motor for the CVT and the primary pulley position sensor. Were both components a problem or did they both get replaced in a "shotgun" approach?

·
Registered
4 Posts
The motor for the CVT was replaced in the shotgun style Suzuki Australia & the shop that originally tried to repair the problem could not diagnose the fault, the second shop I went to read the info off this site & agreed it does sound like the pulley sensor so it was deemed that was the problem & they changed it. The motor for the CVT did not need to be replaced so I now have a spare one.

Cheers
John

·
Premium Member
11,295 Posts
John

Sounds like you found a good dealer the second time - at least one that is open to sourcing good info - ie Burgmanusa.

There is no excuse for a dealer with all the kit not to measure and range the sensors to check outputs are sensible.

·
Registered
61 Posts
hey Normie,
I've stuck a question an another thread ref plotting the PPS output (in Ohms).
I thnk my PPS has had the royal order of the sword...
You got any data on this?
As I use the Burg to get to work (hi-ho) and back (most of the time) I'm gonna splice an extra few inches into the PPS as one of our readers suggested and ride it to work until I can get another PPS.
A data sheet would be great (or if someone can plot a good one (I used a digital mutimeter to get the figures, then an anolog to roughly check the curve.
Cherrs, duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuude.
Moonie

·
Premium Member
14,323 Posts
The C51 code is set by the ECU when it detects that the voltage in the wires that feed the CVT shifting motor is not correct. Possible causes are: A problem in the wiring or connections between the ECU and the motor, a bad motor, or a bad ECU control unit.

The first thing to do if you get this code is to check out all the wires and connections between the ECU and the motor to make sure they are all good. If that checks out then you can move on to checking the voltage readings on the wires and the condition of the motor. For that you will need a multimeter and the test procedures from the service manual.

·
Administrator
21,745 Posts
Shadyblack changed the topic to "Skywave 250 CC 2009 type M" codeC51. We as a whole group do not have a knowledge base for these engines. Code C51 for a 650 would be different from a 400, 250 or 125 Burgman/Skywave. Sorry.

·
Premium Member
14,323 Posts
Did not notice that he had done that. If I remember right the 250 M also has an ECVT like the 650 does.

Looking at my 400 manual I see that the codes set by the 400 carry the same meanings as the codes set by the 650. There are just not as many of them and they don't go above the 40 series. There are no 50 series codes because it does not have an ECVT and the 50 codes are specific to the workings of the ECVT.

I'm guessing here but I would suspect Suzuki carries that strategy of having the codes give the same meanings to the ECVT codes. The 50 series codes on the 250 with the ECVT probably carry the same meaning as the 50 series codes on the 650 with the ECVT. In which case the 51 code would apply to the shifter motor.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello!!! I have the same problem! c51. Suzuki Skywave 250 type M - no service manual at all!!! Sorry for my english... "between the ECU and the motor to make sure they are all good. If that checks out then you can move on to checking the voltage readings on the wires and the condition of the motor." - What voltage should be on cvt motor from ecu??? 12v or 6v, i tried to stop him with a stick, to find out whether it rotates well, and its wery powerfull,and seems to me that its ok, but maybe you have an instruction, how to check the ecu, what voltage should i see on engine? And another problem with sensor 13505-06h50, sensor of a movable drive, i checked it with multimeter, and it shows the linear straight dependence from 180Om to 4,7KOM, but i dont know how many om's should be?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts