Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While shifting gears in manual mode for instance from "D" to "M" or from "5" to "6" the transmission shifts instantly. Would this create an abnormal load on the main drive belt over time that might shorten its life. I only use "M" when on the interstate going a steady high speed. Would this explain why some bikes still have their original belts so much longer then others. I don't use overdrive when RPM drops below 4,000 for fear of lugging the engine.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I put my 650 into manual overdrive once I reach highway speed, for me this is 55. At that speed the tach is indicating 3500 rpm and the engine pulls me and the bike around with no problem. I have a Rostra electronic speed control and have put the bike into overdrive as low as 35mph and used the resume to bring it back up to speed. Its leisurely to say the least but the bike doesn't seem to be lugging, I think its the cruise control that's bringing up too speed slowly, which for me is fine.
Greg

·
Premium Member
14,278 Posts
I don't think that using the manual mode will shorten the life of the belt to any significant degree. Yes it does rapidly move from one ratio to another but it is not instantaneous. The adjuster still takes a little time to change the width of the pulleys. Maybe if you are doing a lot of full throttle shifts it might have a noticeable effect.

Of course there is no way to prove that one way or another without doing a lot of controlled test. I don't think any of us have the time, money and facilities to test enough belts to failure to produce the statistics to prove or disprove the hypothesis.

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
Just normal shifting shouldn't pose any special problems. I've decided though that I'm gonna lay off the power brake rolling smokey burnouts in manual first from now on. :D

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have found that shifting to M at 46-47, while backing off acceleration, causes a smooth shift to 5th that is not noticeable. From there I accelerate to 50-55, ease the throttle and shift up to OD as smoothly as the CVT does it. You definitely won't wearout a belt prematurely doing that. Try it sometime and you will see what I mean. :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts