Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Shhhhhsssssss.... Don't tell Givi!!! :D

So..... I finally decided to say screw-it to what Givi says about what's available for sidecases for my 2014 B650. I've got a pair of E22's but had a couple of issues with them so wanted to go both stronger and bigger. I always find myself bulking-out before I weigh-out when travelling.

I went with a pair of Monokey Trekker 33's and so far I like them. Why I chose them was because it gives me more space, but also because they have a neat convertible feature where the top can be set to open as a top load, or flip the catches inside and they are a full clamshell. They are also quite a bit more robust than the E22's and have the new larger security type key. When you buy a pair together, they also supplied me with a third lock cylinder so I'm hoping I can change the one in my 55 Maxxia so they'll all open with the same key.

The only two small quibbles I have with using the Trekkers is that I wish they mounted a bit more level and not so pronounced front low. Also, they do impact the rearward vision with the mirrors because the mirrors are so low on the B650. Other than that, we'll see how long term use works out.

Here's what they look like from all angles.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
I don't think it's as wide as the Jesse' on the Vstrom and looks better.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Looks like you could make the mount hug the sides of the bike more and it would not be as wide. I want to make a custom one that hugs tight with some bags that flow better with the bike. Like how Harley bags look on their bikes. They just flow better aesthetically and probably aerodynamicly. Mine came with some and I never use them. Cuts into my mpg and I don't like how they look on mine. But I like that idea how they open two ways. Definetly like that.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Caution wide load!

Can you show pictures of the different opening configurations?
Ok, here's an old video link from Revzilla that shows how the top load/clamshell conversion works. It's about a 5 second job.

https://youtu.be/znLO-XqU3UQ

Now note that this is the old style of Trekker case in this video. The new models also have extra clips front and back to hold the case closed. Very secure and strong.

Ok, here's three photos of the case. The first is the case in the clamshell configuration, the second in the top load configuration.

In the third photo, this is the new style Trekker case (which I got) that has the extra catchs to robustly secure the case closed. As you can see, on the first two photos (old style case) they are not there.

Hint, if you're buying them, make sure you get the new style, or a serious discount if they want you to take the old style.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Caution wide load!

By the way, just for comparison.

The E22 are 8.9" wide.
The T33 are 9.5" wide.

So the total width (2 cases) is only 1.2 inches wider with the Trekkers, hardly enough to actually worry about. I think they just look wider because of their squared off shape vs the angular ends of the E22's.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I like the water bottle holder. And your saddlebags. But the water cup holder has me wondering where you got it and how you mounted it. Could ylou show a closer picture of it? Thanks
Jim

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I like the water bottle holder. And your saddlebags. But the water cup holder has me wondering where you got it and how you mounted it. Could ylou show a closer picture of it? Thanks
Jim
I work for a distribution company and our Employees carry portable data terminals at work. This is actually the "holster" that a data terminal would slide into. It's the old style one that we haven't used in years but I found one gathering dust in a storage room, washed it and that is what I'm using. It was originally designed to be used handing off a waistbelt so I just have a piece of webbing with a buckle looped up and around the handlebar to the left of the center pivot. I've had it years on several bikes and it is all I really need. Nothing fancy, but it works.

I looked online under Water Bottle Belt Holster and Water Bottle Belt Pouch and there are several styles available. Just got to hunt around till you find one that fits your needs. Perhaps try an outdoor adventure/travel type store for hikers and backpackers. I'm sure you'd find something that would work and the price is likely to be right.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
How did you mount the drink holder?
As I explained, it's a belt pouch so it has a spot on the back for a belt to pass thru. Normally a person would wear this pouch on their belt.

I used a piece of web strapping with a quick lock buckle on the ends. I just adjusted the length up and around the handlebar until it was hanging where I wanted it to. It just hangs there and the weight of the bottle keeps it from flopping around.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Question for Steve_YYZ since you have the 2013 model:

What are the forks like in terms of damping. Is brake dive well controlled? Stable over bumps and potholes? I noticed the part number for the fork springs in the 2013+ 650s are different than the 2003-2012 models.

With the exception of the fork lowers, fender and the springs, almost every other part is the same from 2003-2015. Just wondering if the newer springs would be a good replacement for older Burgs.

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Steve what do you mount on the top of ram mount? Camera?

I have a pair of E42s' on Kiwi Mounts to complement my E52 top box.
It converted the Lardy into one fat arsed bike.??

I re keyed my boxes to work with the same key - bought off eBay.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Question for Steve_YYZ since you have the 2013 model:

What are the forks like in terms of damping. Is brake dive well controlled? Stable over bumps and potholes? I noticed the part number for the fork springs in the 2013+ 650s are different than the 2003-2012 models.

With the exception of the fork lowers, fender and the springs, almost every other part is the same from 2003-2015. Just wondering if the newer springs would be a good replacement for older Burgs.
Actually, it's the 2014 model that I have.

That aside, I often feel like I need to visit my dentist to see if any tooth fillings have shaken loose after hitting a pothole or other big bump.
I will have to say it's not very compliant at soaking up and damping down the bumps and sudden jolts. Not having ridden any of the older style 650's I can't offer a comparison vs the newer models. But yup, pretty harsh at times. Makes you appreciate smooth roads which seems to be the big Burger's forte.
Steve

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Steve what do you mount on the top of ram mount? Camera?

I have a pair of E42s' on Kiwi Mounts to complement my E52 top box.
It converted the Lardy into one fat arsed bike.����

I re keyed my boxes to work with the same key - bought off eBay.
LOL Norm.... I have a total of 7 RAM Mounts on the bike, both front and rear, plus the helmet mount. You've guessed correctly that I use them for camera mounts. I have converted my GoPro to a RAM mount system mount, and also have two "dash-cameras" for more video options. One of the Dash-Cams will run for up to 5 hours on a very small portable battery pack so that gives me lots of filming options and angles.

The bitch is in the editing later on. :D

I've got the 3rd lock cylinder for the topcase but just haven't gotten around to swapping the locks yet. Likely won't do it until the riding season is over.

Still lots to do to get the Burger to where I say "enough" and have it the way I want it. But we're having fun doing it.

Steve

·
Registered
630 Posts
Actually, it's the 2014 model that I have.

That aside, I often feel like I need to visit my dentist to see if any tooth fillings have shaken loose after hitting a pothole or other big bump.
I will have to say it's not very compliant at soaking up and damping down the bumps and sudden jolts. Not having ridden any of the older style 650's I can't offer a comparison vs the newer models. But yup, pretty harsh at times. Makes you appreciate smooth roads which seems to be the big Burger's forte.
Steve
Hmmm, that sounds an awful lot like my stock 2003 forks. I guess the different part number could indicate the same spring spec but a different supplier. They're not all THAT bad when paired up with some Racetech Emulators as I discovered, at least for sub 100 km/h city work. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Steve,

I was going to ask you about the bikes handling characteristics when fully loaded as so much of your storage is behind the rear axle. But I see you've counter-balanced this with 7 RAM mounts. Good god - your loaded for . . . anything! Well done! ;)

Reactions: azz3879

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Steve,

I was going to ask you about the bikes handling characteristics when fully loaded as so much of your storage is behind the rear axle. But I see you've counter-balanced this with 7 RAM mounts. Good god - your loaded for . . . anything! Well done! ;)
LOL Jeff....
There's not doubt that she's sluggish when fully loaded compared to riding empty, but that's to be expected. For sure on my last 15 day, 5,000 km ride I took too much stuff and am working to reduce this for the next foray. I've simply got to get past saying to myself... "I MIGHT need this" and packing too much.

I'm also looking at the Givi Tunnel Bag so that I can move a few of the items forward and low which should help. The trick is to not use that extra space to cram in even more junk! :D
Of course, that I'm 6'6" and 235 lbs myself keeps a chunk of weight forward as well.

The first riding season with a new bike and getting it all set-up as you like is always a bit of trial and error but lots of fun as well.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts