Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I decided to switch to Shell Rotella T6 full synthetic oil in both of my cars (Hyundai Elantra, Subaru Outback) and my 2011 650 (after the warranty expired). I did this because of many short trips with the thought that the easier flow when cold would protect the engine better because I do so many short trips. Interestingly, I found that I was getting better fuel economy - about 2 MPG on the Burgman and my two cars. That translates to a saving of about 4 US gallons of gas per oil change. At $3.00-3.50/gal, that's a saving of $12-15 for the Burgman and much more for the cars. Certainly enough to offset the extra cost of this synthetic oil!

Interesting, but YMMV!

·
Premium Member
14,235 Posts
It probably depends on how much short driving you are doing. The thinner oil likely helps when the engine is colder. Once the bike (or car) gets fully warmed up the oil weight would be the same and mileage differences would become negligible. Robin runs T6 in her bike and I run Rotella 15W-40 Dino oil in mine. On our long day rides our mileage is pretty much the same.

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
The act of just changing the oil, with the same brand composition and grade, will improve fuel economy. Keep careful records over the entire service period before counting the chickens...

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
I thought those 2 auto mfgs generally recommended 5W20 and 5W30 weight motor oil respectively......as 'zuki recommends 10W40 and all 3 mfgs recommend their weight/viscosity oil for good reasons. One would think since it's harder for a motor to pump a thicker fluid thru a X size hole/bearing clearance than a thinner fluid, then technically a heavier oil would yield less mpg than a thinner oil, all else being equal. The viscosity numbers of oil are the same regardless of conventional or synthetic. If the 'zuki owners manual was re-written, I'd almost bet 5W40 or 0W40 or maybe even 5W30 or 0W30 oil would be the new recommended oil weight, as long as it was wet clutch safe. :scratch:

A good read regarding understanding motor oil weight/viscosity:

http://www.supramania.com/aehaas/

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
"One would think since it's harder for a motor to pump a thicker fluid thru a X size hole/bearing clearance than a thinner fluid, then technically a heavier oil would yield less mpg than a thinner oil, all else being equal." This is true, however as the engine's primary function and purpose is not to pump oil, the additional load brought about by the heavier oil would be only a very small fraction of total engine load.

Adding to the info linked above here is a good history of motor oil grading, and an explanation of why automakers recommend such piss-thin oils (hint: it has nothing to do with optimal engine life).

I must admit my main confusion is why one would run a motor oil formulated for diesel engines, in a gasoline engine?

·
Registered
202 Posts
Yea, finally a subject I know a bit about. By all means don't take my word for it but at least I can point some in the right direction about oil. Auto manufactures are finding that the thinner oils are doing a bit better at keeping things moving. Reason being it can get to where it needs to be faster,slide on through,grab some dirt, heat and rush to the filter,dump off the dirt and head out to do it all again ! Dirt removal and heat removal is a good thing. Also the tolerences are much closer than the old chevy 283ci that you could throw a cat through. "Bob the oil guy" is a wonderful web site to read and talk with OIL people that drink this stuff with their cereal. Now if you want to know why many of us are using Rotella ,"truck" oil , Go to Blackstone Labratories and read the comparisions between ALL oils. Better yet, call them and they will send you a plastic container to send your used oil sample and for $20 they will analise it and send you the results after you use it so that you can compair against any other oil you choose at how well it holds up and does what oil is supposed to. I'll put Rotella up against any "motorcycle oil there is. At the price they sell Rotella for, it's a well kept secret. Almost forgot. Look at the label on the back of Rotella and you will see it's JASO MA approved, Japenese motorcycle wet clutch approval. Like I said ,Don't take my word for it , Read all about it yourself. Oh yea, it goes good with your cereal :lol: Ernie

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
SynLube......nothing to sell there, right? And the advantages of running a heavier oil than what the engine manufacturer recommends are??????? :? Beats me. I believe Rotella also has the API "Gasoline" rating as well. If it works in a 25:1 compression ratio turbo charged diesel, seems like it would have no problems handling whatever the Burgman could throw at it. I'm not questioning XYZ brand of oil, I just question using a heavier weight oil than the manufacturer most often recommends.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Hi djb383. I'm not sure if I read something wrong. Who is running oil heaver than recomended ? I checked the service manual and it says anywhere between 10/30w up to and including 20/50w. Is that correct? I didn't mean to come off as a smart a$$, it's just that I take so much away from this forum in knowledge that I just got a bit excited when I got a chance to give back a little to be helpful. Ernie

·
Registered
427 Posts
Ahh Bob is the oil guy, just like chocolate.

Good explanation ernieM. With all my scoots being wet-clutchless, I use Rotella also, it is a good oil but I am not tied to it.

Delo 400 is also a comparable oil, (no JASO rating), but it smells better than Rotella, and is great on Cheerios. :lol:

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
Ernie M said:
Hi djb383. I'm not sure if I read something wrong. Who is running oil heaver than recomended ? I checked the service manual and it says anywhere between 10/30w up to and including 20/50w. Is that correct? I didn't mean to come off as a smart a$$, it's just that I take so much away from this forum in knowledge that I just got a bit excited when I got a chance to give back a little to be helpful. Ernie
The OP stated he had switched to Rotella T6 (5W40) in his 2 cars that the manufacturers recommended 5W20 and 5W30 respectively. U r absolutely correct, 'zuki does say oil as light as 10W30 and as heavy as 20W50 is acceptable within the ambient temp guidelines but recommends (as stated in the manual) 10W40 overall. 5W40 synthetic may not have been available when the 'zuki owner's manual was printed, I don't know. The 'zuki owner's manual also references SF/SG rated oils and those became obsolete in 1988 and 1993 respectively. The link I post above (http://www.supramania.com/aehaas/) has nothing to sell and dispels most all motor oil myths that r perpetuated on the Internet and explains what oil does/doesn't do and explains the difference between oil lubrication and oil pressure and why thick(er)/heavy(er) oil is not always a better choice and why the 1st number in multi-vis oil is so important. Lots of folks still think 0W40 oil is too thin. When a motor is at operating temp, 0W40 and straight 40 r the same vis.....but the 0W40 will flow quicker to parts at below operating temp than straight 40 will. Hopefully, Rotella will be offered in a 0W40 or even a 0W30 JASO oil in the not too distant future.

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
Is a "wet-clutchless" the same as a dry clutch? :p Now how outdated is the Burgman 400 owner's manual??????........it references JASO (wet clutch) as well. :shock: :?

·
Registered
202 Posts
Good point. Maybe thats how Suzuki saves money ,They use the same manual for years. When I spoke a rep from Rotella division he explained that the main difference in a jaso approved oil is the amount of friction modifiers that is in the oil. Modern 10/30 energy conserving oils have a large amount of it that has the potencial to make a wet clutch slip. Rotella has less modifiers as do most other diesel oils like Delo and others. The Rotella rep went on to say that diesel oils have always been within specs of motorcycle oils and says it has been used for many years by the cycle world. It has only been a couple of years that they aquired a JASO stamp of approval to expand a bit. A JASO rating is very expencive to get. Rotella says they have not advertised there oil for motorcycles because the oil was primarley designed for diesel use. It just happens to be the same specs as motorcycle, Wet or Dry clutch. Chemical make up is the same for Delo and others. If you are not comfortable using truck oil ,then by all means ,don't. there are plenty of motorcycle specific oils to choose from. Ernie

·
Registered
202 Posts
I did forget to mention that cost is about 1/3 of specialty oils and it's handy to pick up on sundays at Wal-Mart :lol:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts