Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Nothin' strange except we're in Colorado and, she doesn't mean a lake beach. So, California, here we come. Two scoots headin' for the beach from Grand Junction via Vegas, Death Valley, Sequoia National Forest, San Francisco, then, Hwy 1 south to Montaña De Oro State Park and half a day at the beach before busting' it back home...9 days and 2,700 miles later. A fair amount of Interstate out of necessity but, many miles of roads recommended for motorcycle rides:D

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Have fun!

Death Valley! Do you know what time of day you will be there? It gets hot as heck there especially this time of year. Not the kind of place you want to break down. It isn't too hot at night or early in the morning however.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Have fun!

Death Valley! Do you know what time of day you will be there? It gets hot as heck there especially this time of year. Not the kind of place you want to break down. It isn't too hot at night or early in the morning however.
All considered...early morning start, cooling vests and just in case, a pretty full compliment of tools. :thumbup:

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Have fun!

Ya, I rode through there in early April and it was 95 degrees. Take some serious care getting through there. I'm sure it'll be 115 or hotter now in July.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Just did my annual 2k mile tour of CA last month. I'm ready to go out again!

I'm concerned about your Death Valley leg. For next week's forecast the 6:00 AM LOWs range from 92 to 97, and the HIGHs go from 115 to 122. And you'll be hitting DV after spending time in 'temperate' Las Vegas (range next week 87 - 108 ). Just sayin.

I'm sure you have every turn and stop mapped out, so I'm not going to try an make suggestions. Have you ridden in Calif before? Where are you crossing the Sierra?

·
Registered
175 Posts
Stay in Beatty NV for the night which is just outside Death Valley Park. Then go through DV in the early morning. The Motel 6 in Beatty is nice as far as cheap motels go, Ive stayed there a couple of times in my travels.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Everyone I've spoken too has pretty much said that the best time to travel through death valley is at night when the temperatures have cooled down. You might want to reconsider your trip through there based on everyone's warnings, and plan to do it at night instead. Even with an arsenal of tools with you if you ever break down, you'll be dead from the extream heat before you can even pull them out of the tool bag in that area. Also not too many travelers going through there during the day, so chances of getting help right away may be slim. Most of them wait for nightfall before making the trek through it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts