Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
TBD
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
She was loaded onto a truck on 12/18 on a cold and dark evening in Derry, New Hampshire and arrived today (sunny, cold, and clear) in the Wichita, KS area. She shall be known as Ingrid.
She is a 2014 model with 7,033 miles on the clock - and from preliminary review the body / fenders, et al seem to be w/o blemish (this is the first time I've seen her in person). Unfortunately, she has a less-than-full battery. She tried to turnover only once (followed by a fast clicking). All dash lights were functioning and the mirrors unfolded (very slowly). Upon inspection under the seat, I learned there was already a battery tender attached - so I hooked up my battery charger to the existing pig-tail and the red LED lit up red (indicating charging is needed). I'm not too surprised by this as the previous owner hadn't been riding and it has been 3.5 weeks since she was last started.
On the plus side - the temps in Wichita are only going up (to 60ish on Wednesday) and there are plenty of opportunities ahead for me to ride!
As for HaulBikes.... They originally identified an earlier pick-up window, but that got pushed. Then, they had identified a delivery date prior to or on 12/30/20 - but that got pushed. After becoming a bit of a squeaky wheel - they started becoming more communicative regarding her location and plans. They don't load a bike and it stays on that truck until delivery - they have multiple warehouses around the country that serve as distribution points. I believe Ingrid was on a total of three trucks (one for pickup, one that took her from Harrisburg, PA to OKC, and today from OKC). The quote was $610 for the transport - but they've told me I'll get a $50 refund due to the extended delay from the original target date (we'll see if/when that refund hits). Overall - 2.5 / 5 stars at this time solely because of the delays and initial lack of communication.
It's easy to forget how heavy these girls are until you have to push them up a hill. Glad that I have longer legs! More updates once she gets fully charged.
- Bill
Ride safe(r)

tempImageEuPRts.jpg
tempImage0S9jmA.jpg

·
Registered
38 Posts
Congratulations, and it must have been anxious moments waiting and having the 650 arrive without shipping mishaps

Art

·
Super Moderator
2017 Suzuki Burgman 650
10,062 Posts
@Luckyman09
Nice....
Good luck on your new to you bike. When the weather warms you will have a ball on it. Keep us all posted on your impressions of the bike. I know from experience shipping anything this time of year is a gamble. Far too many opportunities for weather or other delays. The main thing is that you got it. Get outside and enjoy it and tell us what you think.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
I named my 2005 Concours "Ingrid" :D A good name for a bike I think. Enjoy your scoot!

·
Registered
TBD
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Congrats. Looks like they barely had enough truck with which to haul Ingrid...
Driver told me that if carefully packed - they can fit about 36 bikes in the trailer (two levels). Ingrid was in so far (and on the upper level) that I could not see her until he began rolling her out onto the lift gate.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Suzuki Burgman 650
10,062 Posts
Blacktruck -
Thanks, but she's not my first Burgman 650. I had a 2008 that I sold in 2011 (wish I hadn't, but life dictates things sometimes).
I'm glad she's here - and will share impressions when able.
Yea man, we all have been there a time or two or more. I look back and really wish I had kept a few of the bikes, cars and trucks I have had in long gone years. As you pointed out, "life dictates things sometimes". Well said sir. It does indeed. Thankfully most of us get to move on to another day. I have not ridden a pre 2013 model but have read on here the post 2013s and up did have some significant improvements. After decades of manual shifting, every time I ride mine I am amazed by the ease of riding and how well it all works together.
Ride safe there sir.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I've had 3 previous Burgman 650s, and each time I sold one I soon regretted it. Was seduced by other bikes, thinking I'd get a better ride, more "respect", adventure capability, etc. But for me nothing compares with the Burgman for ease, rideability, practicality, etc. Yes, its suspension is not the best, but it is utterly adequate 99% of the time. I learned to look out for and anticipate upcoming road treachery that would kick me in the arse, and moderated the Burgman to negotiate without much problem. HaulBikes is bringing me another Burgman as we speak. And as you've just experienced, they are being slow as molasses 😕. Looking forward to gettin' back my Burgman Grin.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Suzuki Burgman 650
10,062 Posts
I've had 3 previous Burgman 650s, and each time I sold one I soon regretted it. Was seduced by other bikes, thinking I'd get a better ride, more "respect", adventure capability, etc. But for me nothing compares with the Burgman for ease, rideability, practicality, etc. Yes, its suspension is not the best, but it is utterly adequate 99% of the time. I learned to look out for and anticipate upcoming road treachery that would kick me in the arse, and moderated the Burgman to negotiate without much problem. HaulBikes is bringing me another Burgman as we speak. And as you've just experienced, they are being slow as molasses 😕. Looking forward to gettin' back my Burgman Grin.
You sir are a veritable Burgman expert. I am on my first and probably only Burgman. I bought it new and after about two years, I let the big bike gremlins get to me. I bought a Triumph Trophy but I wisely kept my Burgman. Funny how it is, the Burgman really excels at nothing but just does everything on the paved road pretty well within reason. Not even sure I can put my finger on anything in particular about it but the ease of riding and effortless ability to cruise with the Texas traffic makes me miss it when I am on my Triumph. With the lack of any new big burgers on the horizon, I will just keep the one I have. I've put about 30K miles on it and it has earned a spot in my garage as long as I am riding.

·
Registered
290 Posts
"Funny how it is, the Burgman really excels at nothing but just does everything ... pretty well."

A neighbor of mine, 62-year old, long-time motorcyclist born and raised in Italy, owns a gorgeous BMW R nineT Classic. Every time he rides my Burgman 650 you can't wipe the smile off his face. He always says, "It's really fun!"

·
Registered
TBD
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
And fun she is! After warming up the garage (SWMBO allowed a heater installation) and letting Ingrid sit on the trickle charger for a few hours - vroom! So, I let her warm up whilst checking tire pressure (and adding air to both ends). Then it was time to don the coat, gloves, and helmet and take her around the block (well, sort of a block). Four miles later - including one blast up to 75mph - and I'm back home and grinning (as I knew I would be). We just moved to Kansas five months ago, so I've still got quite a bit of exploring to do to learn the lay of the land and seek out interesting places to snoop and eat.
I'm retired - SWMBO is still working (as she phrases it - I laid the foundation and built the house - she's adding the roof and amenities) - so I have lots of time available for scootin'.
Tomorrow - off to the State Patrol to get the VIN verified so I can get Ingrid registered this / next week.
Y'all ride safe(r)
- Bill

·
Registered
290 Posts
Exploring Kansas .... I did branding work for Junction City, Kansas two years ago. There is a gorgeous opera house in the center of downtown, built in 1882 and lovingly restored. The locals are very proud. We took a tour and the mayor led us to an old closet door in a small room off the kitchen. He opened the door, pulled a chain to light a single naked bulb, and led us down old, rickety wooden stairs. "Is this where you kill us and dismember us?" I had to ask.

Turns out the basement holds a superbly appointed modern lounge, complete with oak bar, billiard table, popcorn machine, pinball machine and beautiful leather couches and chairs. "Very few people know this is here," the mayor said. "So we won't be promoting it. I just thought you might appreciate it." Turns out for over 100 years, the hidden lounge has served as a safe house for the elected leaders and dignitaries of Kansas. They came for one reason: to get stinking drunk without the danger of running into voters or colleagues. They'd sleep it off on one of the couches and leave the next day, with no one the wiser. I asked if the room is still used for that purpose but the mayor was mum.

Two random facts about Kansas for explorers: 1) the geographic center of the continental U.S. is just north of Junction City, 2) There are a lot of lavender fields in the state. They look and smell beautiful, and a few drops of lavender oil on a pillow can greatly improve your night's sleep.

·
Registered
TBD
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Two random facts about Kansas for explorers: 1) the geographic center of the continental U.S. is just north of Junction City, 2) There are a lot of lavender fields in the state. They look and smell beautiful, and a few drops of lavender oil on a pillow can greatly improve your night's sleep.
All fascinating to know - and just over 100 miles NNE of me!
I highly doubt I could talk myself into the basement of the Opera house though.

·
Premium Member
3,640 Posts
1 - 20 of 32 Posts