Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tried using shaving cream on their visor lens to stop fogging?? And if so, what did you think???

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
Need use cat crap, good stuff.

·
Premium Member
8,152 Posts
I cannot see thru shaving cream, cannot slice a potato thin enough to see through and there is a severe shortage of monkeys currently , in this area , so , back to work on forced dry air pumped in like a vent defog system . also pretty warm but getting beef jerky eyeballs .

·
Registered
202 Posts
I really hope the OP is taking this as it's intended. "To mock You" "that there 's funny, I don't care who you are" Quote by Larry the cable guy !! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
+1 on Cat Crap!!!
Shaving cream, potato, and liquid dish soap all work fine but Cat Crap is my choice for anti fogging! :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
mikeyMarine said:
I cannot see thru shaving cream, cannot slice a potato thin enough to see through and there is a severe shortage of monkeys currently , in this area , so , back to work on forced dry air pumped in like a vent defog system . also pretty warm but getting beef jerky eyeballs .
Mikey...Yer way too funny for your own good...........!!!!!! :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
Houndguy said:
A potato or shaving cream. Seriously I've not heard of either of these. I will assume that monkey poop will not work at all as well.
Potato is a very old trick.
If the wipers fail on your car you can get the water to break up by slicing a potato and rubbing it on the screen.
I can't recommend it except in absolute emergencies.

My helmet has pinlock and good vents so it doesn't really mist up. I think I've opened the visor twice to clear the bottom right corner since I got it.

·
Registered
5,795 Posts
Shaving cream? Why not just use spit? Works for divers, should work for motorcycle visors.

Or you could just use an anti-fog product.

From Wikipedia:

Anti-fogging treatments work by minimizing surface tension, resulting in a non-scattering film of water instead of single droplets, an effect called wetting. Anti-fog treatments usually work either by application of a surfactant film, or by creating a hydrophilic surface.Anti-fog agents are usually available as spray solutions, creams and gels, and wet wipes, while more resistant coatings are often applied during complex manufacturing processes. Anti-fog additives can also be added to plastics where they exude from the inside to the surface.[4]

Agents

The following substances are used as anti-fog agents:

Surfactants that minimize the surface tension of the water:
Detergents such as shampoo, soap, or shaving cream applied as a solution and wiped off without rinsing
Hydrophilic coatings that maximize the surface energy:
Hydrophilic polymers and hydrogels:
Gelatin
Hydrophilic colloids and nanoparticles:
Titanium dioxide, becomes highly hydrophilic under UV light.

Home recipes

One method to prevent fogging is to apply a thin film of detergent, but this method is criticized because detergents are designed to be water soluble and they cause smearing.[5] Divers often use saliva,[6] which is a commonly known and effective anti-fogging agent.[7] Other home recipes exist, including the application of white vinegar with hot water,[8] or a mixture containing sudsy ammonia, alcohol and liquid dishwasher detergent .[9]

LilScootie said:
Has anyone tried using shaving cream on their visor lens to stop fogging?? And if so, what did you think???

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
LilScootie said:
Why not just buy an anti-fog product made for helmet visors.??? Instead of screwing around with cheap substitutes?? :?:

·
Registered
42 Posts
more resistant coatings are often applied during complex manufacturing processes.
I've been wondering how NFL players manage to keep their helmet visors fog free, and whether it was something we could use. You know they gotta be sweating up a storm in there, generating more moisture than we ever will. I guess the answer is "No."

Steve

·
Premium Member
73 Posts
See lots of support for Cat Crap. I bought some, but visor still fogs when temps drop to around 40F with rain. So far, haven't found anything that keeps inside surface of visor clear. Pain in the butt to open modular, enough to clear. I wear glasses and can't keep small gap, like my wife could, 'cause lenses get splattered. Oh, well. I live in Oregon. Hardly any rain here, so not much of a problem!!! :lol:

·
Registered
5,795 Posts
Geeez. Rain-X.

·
Premium Member
73 Posts
Well, Geez, Quantam Rift..RainX works fine on the outside of the shield, not on the inside! Unfortunately. Like I said, have tried everything suggested and nothing works in cold rain. At least, not so far. Certainly welcome new suggestions and I'll keep tryin' 'em. Would LOVE to find something, anything, that would truly enable me to see clearly for more than 3 minutes on a cold, rainy day.

·
Registered
5,795 Posts
There is Raix-X anti-fog (inside) that I've used with great success on the aft side of my windshield and on the visor.

jnshenshaw said:
Well, Geez, Quantam Rift..RainX works fine on the outside of the shield, not on the inside! Unfortunately. Like I said, have tried everything suggested and nothing works in cold rain. At least, not so far. Certainly welcome new suggestions and I'll keep tryin' 'em. Would LOVE to find something, anything, that would truly enable me to see clearly for more than 3 minutes on a cold, rainy day.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts