Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner
21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Okay, right. 2016 AN400ZA, with about 4500 kms logged
So, less than 3000 miles and we are advocating surgery?
Seems more likely, to me at any rate, that previous owner, and / or OP have been too gentle with the throttle on take-off.
Mine only had circa 2000 miles when I got it, and exhibited similar symptoms. 200 miles later, and since (now 9000), nothing.
(Only time I had any CVT anomaly , (NOT judder, but noise - slight squeal), was first ride out after winter lay-up. A few spirited get aways soon sorted that out )
When I took the covers off at 5,400 miles, this is what I found...
Wheel Tire Automotive tire Locking hubs Motor vehicle

So, not surgery, but some "therapy" first. (Via the right wrist).

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
A service manual is gonna be a great friend, will save you tons of money, give you lots of confidence and if you get one now it won't be scarce and hard to acquire in the future.
Does anyone have a quick source before I spent half a day researching? :) I'm not lazy, just counting on the hive mind to save some otherwise useful time.

·
Premium Member
19,084 Posts
Does anyone have a quick source before I spent half a day researching? :) I'm not lazy, just counting on the hive mind to save some otherwise useful time.
I got mine from the stealership when I bought the bike, I had them order it before I signed the sales paperwork, wouldn't trust them to do it after, , sorry can't help

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
What weight? :D

I'm not tiny but 160lbs doesn't seem enough. I can barely hold the bike upright. I tried every way possible - grab bar and handlebar, handlebar only... No matter how I approach it, I look like that ant trying to push the elephant out of her way.

The only way I can do it is if the bike is facing up an incline. But then I have to fight the gravity to drop it off the stand :(

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
The hardest part is hoisting the bike on the vertical stand. I'm apparently not strong enough to do it. :(
wager a refreshing beverage you really are. it's all about technique. ever seen jocelin snow handle a R1200GSA?. do a search for put heavy motorcycle on center stand. there are videos all over youtube demonstrating technique.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
jocelin snow is about 5'1"/1.55m and 115lbs/52kg and makes a 570lb/258kg BMW R1200GS Adventure do anything she wants. you can do it with proper technique and practice. and as jerry palladino says about riding, it's 90% mental and 10% physical.
Dog Photograph Water Nature Snow

·
Premium Member
19,084 Posts
if you want to cheat (like I do) go get yourself a 2 1/2 inside diameter metal pipe, a couple feet long is long enough, slip it over that thingy on the center stand , then one hand on handlebars, one on grab rail, one foot on pipe, push back on pipe till center stand touches ground, then tilt bike upright till both legs of center stand are on the ground, (you can feel it ) then push on pipe, the leverage will put it up, now go have a refreshin beverage or 6

Reactions: Rhea

·
Premium Member
15,253 Posts
What weight? :D

I'm not tiny but 160lbs doesn't seem enough. I can barely hold the bike upright. I tried every way possible - grab bar and handlebar, handlebar only... No matter how I approach it, I look like that ant trying to push the elephant out of her way.

The only way I can do it is if the bike is facing up an incline. But then I have to fight the gravity to drop it off the stand :(
My guess is that you're trying to PUSH the centerstand down, instead of STANDING on it. That is:
  • Put the bike on the sidestand, and get off.
  • Standing next to the bike, on the left of it, get the bike upright, using your right hand on the passenger grab rail (or something back there -- not really familiar with the 400 scoots) and your left hand on the left grip.
  • Use your right foot to push the centerstand down ... but just far enough such that both tangs are just touching the ground (which confirms that the bike is indeed level, and the centerstand is about to do its thing).
  • Now shift your weight completely to the right foot and leg, such that you're STANDING on the centerstand lever, i.e., no longer trying to PUSH the centerstand lever; both feet will be completely off the ground for a second or two, although you'll still be gripping the bike with your hands.
  • The bike should now swing back completely on the centerstand.
  • Flip the sidestand up.
That's the procedure that has worked for me on my two Execs -- and, yes, I've got about 50 lbs. on you, but the Big Burger is about 130 lbs. heavier than the 400 -- and on my current lighter scooter (a BMW, about the same weight as a 400 Burger, although the geometry of the centerstand on my new scoot requires hardly any effort -- it's actually "pushable").

·
Registered
301 Posts
You really don't need a service manual for what you are looking to do. Mitch has a video on taking the cover off. He has a video on removing the variator and clutch. All torque specs are provided. A number of people here are removing the CVT cover w/out taking any of the body plastic off. Unless you are planning on removing the belt, you don't need a tool to hold the finned fixed plate. I would ignore advice about revving the engine while holding the brakes. Might help, might make things worse. Open her up, remove the bell, sand the pads, clean the inside of the bell w/ brake cleaner and hone w/ emory cloth. Change your gear oil (drill Mike's 1" hole in the cover if you plan on keeping the bike long enough for another gear oil change), clean the CVT filter, and button her back up. I'll help you by zoom (I think that's what it's called). Maybe the big clutch spring is broke, probably not at that low of miles. As some point you shut the laptop and get your hands greasy.

·
Premium Member
19,084 Posts
Eh , Ima disagree on drillin holes for service, it forces you to take the cover off and eyeball things inside there an get dust out etc, an I'm too lazy not to be forced to do something (also I'm a little shaky on drillin holes in cast materials near corners /bends)

·
Registered
2008 AN400
209 Posts
My guess is that you're trying to PUSH the centerstand down, instead of STANDING on it.
@Rhea, better get this sorted before anything else - later deal with the positive vibrations and all :)

It's not about strength or weight, it's about standing on the right place of the centrestand with one foot, just all of you on that one foot, and it just gently pops up.

Rest your left hand on the handlebar, just for balance, and with the right hand sort of guide the pop-up movement by holding the passenger grab-bar.

·
Premium Member
19,084 Posts
if ;you feel it is a weight issue, fill yer pockets with oreos (they always make me heavier) an a backpacl fulla refreshin beverages :)

Reactions: Rhea
21 - 40 of 43 Posts