Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a 2012 B650 and was told the first scheduled service would be close to $300. It involves checking for loose bolts and stuff. This is my first NEW scooter and would like to know if that cost is comparable with other shops.
What is involved to check on scooters first inspection?

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Welcome to BUSA and congrats on the new ride.

The 600 mile service should include changing the all 3 oils (crankcase, transmission & final drive, make sure they do all 3 my dealer only did one), checking all other fluid levels (Anti-freeze & brake fluid), tire pressure, tightening any bolts that are out of torque spec and adjusting the tension on throttle cables. My dealer charged me 200 but did an incomplete job, most dealers are not familiar the 650 and aren't aware that there are 3 oils that need to be replaced. I typically have the dealer do the 600 mile service then I take of the rest thereafter.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm happy to be part of the Burg scene.
I couldn't believe it when dealer told me the initial service would cost so much. I'm glad there's a lot of knowledge on these boards and already have received some help. Thanks for letting me know the cost is in the hundreds.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I took mine to the dealer they should have paid me for letting them work on it. They change the engine oil,left the drain plug loose. They changed the transmission oil, put to much oil in it. Changed the rear drive fluid, way over filled it. I doubt that they checked the torque on any bolts or at least I hope they didn't if I ever need to fix anything later. I did not purchase the extended warranty don't believe I want to pay the 800 bucks I am told they want to do the valves if they can't do the simple stuff I am really sure I don't want them touching anything more difficult. Just my experience.

·
Premium Member
902 Posts
I did mine myself.

The owners manual lays out exactly what's required, and there's ample in formation here on the forum as to how to get the tupperware off for access.

It wasn't difficult, and total cost of around $60 for all the fluids/filter/tools/consumibles I needed.........plus I know it all got done, and exactly what was used where.

I recorded everything I did, with dates, prices, and copies of receipts, should a warranty question ever arise.

·
Premium Member
66 Posts
I bought an '07 650 in 2010, but it only had 506 miles on it. When I took it in to my dealer for the 600 service,they had a printout of everything that Suzuki expects at the first service. They charged me $220 and when I picked it up, the service walked me through every thing they did.

·
Registered
5,590 Posts
Welcome to the 650 family...

You can very easily do the service yourself for around $50.00.

All you need is some basic metric tools and a bit of patience.

You can check my burg man center for the service schedule and
Detailed how-to DIYs.

Get to know your burgy, it is a very easy machine to maintain.

Good luck...

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
aamigos, I think you found one of the good dealers. :thumbup: We have one hear local and they give our scooter club a 25% discount on anything not already on sale.(tiers are always on sale so no discount) If I find something cheaper on line they will match it most of the time. I try to use them as much as I can for parts. For labor if I don't do it myself I have an independent shop I use.(he will let me help to save me money and learn how to it)

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
If you didn't want to do the wrenching yourself I'd say you could bring it on by if you lived anywhere near Cincinnati. Given the weather was on a good day of course.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the replies. I think there are good DIY guides that will help me get familiarized with the Burg. I already ordered spare rivets to replace a couple broken ones. :)

·
Registered
562 Posts
TechArtGuy said:
If you didn't want to do the wrenching yourself I'd say you could bring it on by if you lived anywhere near Cincinnati. Given the weather was on a good day of course.
TechArtGuy helped me with mine and he was a great help, didn't ask me for anything to help do it either, I did buy some pizza for him.

Glad I didn't let the dealer do it because we found numerous things the dealer did wrong when they put the scooter together for sale out of the crate, some of the things they did wrong were improperly installed front fender (had it break off when I hit a bump and it moved down to touch the tire because they only put the front bolts on it, not the inner rear bolts), overfilled the oil, broke the black windshield trim piece so it doesn't sit flush, had to use some craft foam to get rid of the rattle until I can afford the $140 bucks or so they want to replace it (will be ordering from a different dealer) and that's all we noticed but everything else seems good AFAIK.

With all of that going on, you bet your ass I won't trust them with anything else at all. I was willing to give them a second chance until they denied me a replacement windshield trim piece. That was the straw that broke this camels back.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I too am wary of dealers and their shops.
One shop overfilled the oil but when I pointed it out, he said it was fine, while the brake fluid seemed low, he said it was fine too.
Another place didn't "like" working on a Piaggio so I told him I would take it elsewhere and
A third location -Vespa /Piaggio dealer - said he didn't have the right testing equipment
I'm never going back there again.

And if I'm anywhere near Cincinnati, I will look you up, TechArt :thumbup:

·
Administrator
20,104 Posts
Nillinator said:
And if I'm anywhere near Cincinnati, I will look you up, TechArt :thumbup:
I too have an open invitation for anyone near by to drop in on a weekend or ask and I will load up tools and supply's and ride up to 120 miles for a Sandwich and a beer/rootbeer. Heck, if you send the corprate jet to pick me up, I'll go anywhere, within reason (if no passport required). I do have an enhanced drivers license so Canada is a go too. :thumbup: I like Canadian beer, not Canadian whiskey though.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts