Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trading in my 1100 vstar on a Burg-400. I stopped by the dealer last night and was talking to the service man for a while. He said the first service on the 400 was $275 and the second service was $425.
An oil change was about $60. He said he just got back from a work shop with suzuki on new products. He told me he has serviced 4 burgmans and the 400 was actually harder to change the oil than the 650.

They charge 65 dollars/hr.... takeing the panels off the 400 takes about
20 min. about an hr. charge on the oil change..includes parts.

I don't work on bikes or cars much......rather build a PC. Can anyone
explain how to take off the cover to the 400 and change oil or is that
too much to explain.....anyway, just wanted to give everyone some prices
for this area. My salesman said they have about 10 Burg's left in the Columbus area to sell and then would bring out the new 2004's.

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Hi Monty!
Those service prices sound steep to me. If you go ahead with the 400 get the shop manual and it explains how to take off the panels. It's the same manual that the technicians are reading to do the same job. Oil changes are not that hard to do. If you deem yourself as mechanically challenged, then just take it to the techs for more complicated duties like valve adjustments. By the way my first service cost $150 canadian . Now I do it all myself. Oem Filter cost me $10 and the oil around $9 and it doesnt take an hour from start to finish.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
allwalk said:
Hi Monty!
Those service prices sound steep to me. If you go ahead with the 400 get the shop manual and it explains how to take off the panels. It's the same manual that the technicians are reading to do the same job. Oil changes are not that hard to do. If you deem yourself as mechanically challenged, then just take it to the techs for more complicated duties like valve adjustments. By the way my first service cost $150 canadian . Now I do it all myself. Oem Filter cost me $10 and the oil around $9 and it doesnt take an hour from start to finish.
Thanks for the info...I will purchace the manual, an hour start to finish does not sound bad.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Service on AN650

Hi

A real good service to a Burgman AN650 is not just changing the oils.
No, you must check every screw, you must check the brakes and its fluid, check the radiator system and the electric.
Than you mus adjust the 2 hand-brakes exactly, also the parking break...

That takes a while, in Germany about 3hrs

Best regrads
Mike

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hate to disagree with you --but-- thats all they do is check the radiator fluid, brake fluid and other items - they change the trans. engine and rear end fluids. You can't adjust hydralic brakes, you might be able to adjust the parking brake but they SCARE you into thinking this is technical when it isn't.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Re: Service on AN650

MichaelMcMike said:
Hi

A real good service to a Burgman AN650 is not just changing the oils.
No, you must check every screw, you must check the brakes and its fluid, check the radiator system and the electric.
Than you mus adjust the 2 hand-brakes exactly, also the parking break...

That takes a while, in Germany about 3hrs

Best regrads
Mike
That;s a very good point, there is more to 1st and subsequent services than changing fluids, and 99% of all USA retail dearer service depts will never do any of that . When it comes to safety the owner is on his/her own.

I'll bet plenty of service places even lie about changing oil. Probabvly just wipe off the filler cap.

·
Registered
969 Posts
I did the first service in two sessions - probably 3 ~ 4 hours total. Next time will take less than half the time. Now that I know how to get which parts off (and which ones don't really need to come off) things will go a lot quicker. A good Suzuki mechanic, who's done a few, should have it down to an hour, easy. :wink:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts