Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Although I am only a couple months into ownership of my 2022 Burgman 400, I do intend to do my own maintenance. Ideally I would like to do what I can with the bike elevated, perhaps 15, 24 or 32 inches. Looking at my burgy it seems that a motorcycle jack cannot be used without at least taking some of the plastics (tupperware?) off first, starting with the parts on very bottom.

I am curious how others are dealing with this issue.
  • What lift or jack are you using?
  • Am I correct that the bottom plastics must come off first to use a motorcycle jack, or am I missing something?
  • What other techniques might you be using to elevate it?

Tire changes, brake and CVT maintenance, fluid changes etc are are things I really would prefer to do with the bike elevated, if at all practical.

Thoughts? Pictures? All appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Michael

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
If I had space to keep it I would have bought the Harbor Freight motorcycle lift a long time ago. For wheel removal you can use the center stand and either a jack or straps on the front, if you have something overhead to tie off to. Can also weight the rear to lift the front.

·
Premium Member
18,412 Posts
harbor freight lift! good for lotsa other things, lawn mowers, other bikes, work bench for weedeaters etcetc an you can throw a table cloth over it , you got a side board for parties, a pillow an some tiedown chains, mother in law bed.

·
Premium Member
18,412 Posts
If I had space to keep it I would have bought the Harbor Freight motorcycle lift a long time ago. For wheel removal you can use the center stand and either a jack or straps on the front, if you have something overhead to tie off to. Can also weight the rear to lift the front.
I don't remember if it was the 400 or the 650, i weighted the rear (while on center stand) to lift the front. I DO remember it took more than a bag o peanut m&m's to git that front tire off the ground. Time I got enough weight on the pillion seat to raise the front wheel, I was so tired I hadda stop for a refreshin beverage an a nap

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
Tip: I highly recommend when wrenching with the bike on the center stand to tie the stand to something at the front of the bike. It can and will collapse under the right conditions. Happened to me with the Helix with both wheels off, came down on my foot. Got to practice some of my so-called French words.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Do you have unlimited funds and space? A fellow wanted to give me a lift a few years back. I looked at how much room it took up and passed. I have an oversized detached one car garage in the back yard I built 20 years ago when we first moved in. Back then, it stored my remodel contractor tools and acted as a wood shop. Over the last 11 years it has functioned as a scooter shop. First for my own bikes, then more and more for paid work from others. I run an ad on Craigslist, and get business from our scooter group. I've never had a lift and don't want one. I do tire changes, valve adjustments, belt replacement, etc... sitting on my ass on a scrap of carpet on the floor. What I found important was to have your tools right there and well organized. I have 3 Harbor Freight magnetic strips mounted to the front of the work bench. I also have socket organizer strips mounted vertically to each face on the sides of the small book case that hold my torque wrenches and parts.
Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motorcycle Vehicle

Shelf Shelving Box Plastic Collectable

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
don't need a lift....yet....doesn't stop me from looking.

here's piglet getting new shoes. if I need it a bit higher, put a 2x12 under the center stand.
Automotive tire Automotive lighting Tire Motor vehicle Vehicle

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
@Abner Bjorn ; @JRoss ; both you show depict your bike sitting on the jack. Did you have to take any of the plastics off below it before doing so?

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
nope. just a 1x4 between the jack and bottom tupperwear. there's not much weight on the floor jack and the tupperwear is quite close to the lower frame tubes. been supporting it like that whenever I remove the front wheel. as, in my photo, I when I'm going (have to leave it) with the front wheel off for a while, put the axle back in with a jack stand so it doesn't sit on the floor jack.

piglet has been nekkid in the garage before
Wheel Tire Fuel tank Automotive tire Vehicle

·
Registered
215 Posts
@Abner Bjorn ; @JRoss ; both you show depict your bike sitting on the jack. Did you have to take any of the plastics off below it before doing so?

No. There is enough structure underneath the bottom panel to support the bike. The plastic panel hugs the frame closely. Also note, the only time I have had to raise the front of the bike to date is for front tire changes.
Microphone Output device Rectangle Gas Electric blue

·
Registered
215 Posts
nope. just a 1x4 between the jack and bottom tupperwear. there's not much weight on the floor jack and the tupperwear is quite close to the lower frame tubes. been supporting it like that whenever I remove the front wheel. as, in my photo, I when I'm going (have to leave it) with the front wheel off for a while, put the axle back in with a jack stand so it doesn't sit on the floor jack.

piglet has been nekkid in the garage before
View attachment 98549
JRoss what are you doing to the scooter here? I like the way it looks with no plastic. Has a Big Ruckus vibe going.

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
I'll emphasize to prop up the front end and not leave it just on the floor jack unattended. Maybe I have a cheap jack but it lowered the front to the floor overnight. No damage fortunately but wouldn't want to repeat it.

·
Premium Member
18,412 Posts
I'll emphasize to prop up the front end and not leave it just on the floor jack unattended. Maybe I have a cheap jack but it lowered the front to the floor overnight. No damage fortunately but wouldn't want to repeat it.
always always put something under a load supported by a hydraulic jack, as soon as you get it to the right height, I have seen hose failures that were spectacular and unexpected, slow leaks internal to a jack, and once a failure that caught a hand in between a door and a floor, turned it into a foot, Jacks are for LIFTING not HOLDING

·
Registered
172 Posts
Although I am only a couple months into ownership of my 2022 Burgman 400, I do intend to do my own maintenance. Ideally I would like to do what I can with the bike elevated, perhaps 15, 24 or 32 inches. Looking at my burgy it seems that a motorcycle jack cannot be used without at least taking some of the plastics (tupperware?) off first, starting with the parts on very bottom.

• Am I correct that the bottom plastics must come off first to use a motorcycle jack, or am I missing something?

Tire changes, brake and CVT maintenance, fluid changes etc are are things I really would prefer to do with the bike elevated, if at all practical.

Thanks in advance.

Michael

I have a motorcycle lift and to remove the front rim I use two ratchet straps to pull the rear end down while on the center stand. I attach one end to the passenger grab handles. Easier on the the aging knees and back.....

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
JRoss what are you doing to the scooter here? I like the way it looks with no plastic. Has a Big Ruckus vibe going.
piglet was thinking of applying for work at the kit kat klub....crazy burgman :oops:

replacing the fuel tank

there's not a lot of weight on the front wheel when a 400 is on the center stand...you can actually lift it with your hands below the headlights.

·
Premium Member
2,404 Posts
I have a 2008 400.
To get high enough to change rear tire, get several short 1x4.
Rock bike to rt, assistant slips 1x4 under CS, then left, then 2nd under rt, then left, about 1-1/2 or 2 in. Under each side of CS ought to do it.

·
Registered
13 Posts

Thanks in advance.

Michael

The front tire removal I just used a small box and a couple of books to height needed. I put books in area under radiator. That is all I ever needed. Back tire already in the air.

·
Registered
71 Posts

Thanks in advance.

Michael

Thanks in advance.

Michael

The first pic is me and my grandson doing the first maintenance on my 650 Burgman after I bought it. Very soon after that, I bought a Harbor Freight cycle lift. I do not have any current pics of my scooter on it, but I have a partial pic of a set of tires on it for display. I do all my own work and am so glad I bought the lift. Some times Facebook marketplace has them used for sale. I paid $500 new for it. It is portable and has a place in my garage. I also use it for maintenance on my lawn mowers and as a work table.

Attachments

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The first pic is me and my grandson doing the first maintenance on my 650 Burgman after I bought it. Very soon after that, I bought a Harbor Freight cycle lift. I do not have any current pics of my scooter on it, but I have a partial pic of a set of tires on it for display. I do all my own work and am so glad I bought the lift. Some times Facebook marketplace has them used for sale. I paid $500 new for it. It is portable and has a place in my garage. I also use it for maintenance on my lawn mowers and as a work table.
It’s cool seeing your grandson out there working with you. What a nice memory. I imagine he handled the maintenance of the CVT while you changed the oil. :)

A few questions for you.

• Does the lift feel sturdy with the bike on it at full elevation?
  • Have you used the lift for changing tires? If so, did you use the center stand or resort to something else (blocks or another small lift like others in the thread) to keep the wheels elevated?

Thank you.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts