Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
797 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at new scooters. Honda Service Intevals on the Forza is 8000 miles as compared to Suzuki Scooters 3500 mile Service Intervals. Are Honda Scooters better engineered or Suzuki is just trying to rip us off by not updating their service intervals for engines? What are your thoughts? I think even Piaggio has 7500 mile service intervals.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
I heard it has something to do with passing US emissions, but I'm not enough of a techie to understand why.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I feel strongly that as long as your bike is running AS IT SHOULD, you could easily (and safely IMHO) double the service interval. The modern oils are so good, I'll be doing my 650 service every 7500 miles. Heck I may push it to 10K miles.:D

·
Registered
207 Posts
My feeling is manufacturers make a valid effort to determine optimal average service intervals. If a bike has a longer interval it could be due to manufacturing tolerances, materials used (e.g hardness of valve seats), and the valve adjustment type (e.g. shim & bucket seem to run a LOT longer between checks than screw adjusted valves). I'm sure details like the oil capacity and filter size matter as well.

If you're cynical there also the trade-off between more frequent maintenance and reduced warranty claims, and the extra service income that dealers will get from more frequent intervals (knowing many riders do not perform their own service).

I don't have any insider knowledge but put my vote down for "there is a difference."

·
Registered
345 Posts
The modern oils are so good, I'll be doing my 650 service every 7500 miles. Heck I may push it to 10K miles.:D
Agree that oils are really good nowadays.
However, there's a good reason for adhering to the 3600 mi OCI.
If you over extend OCI, the oil migration that many 650 owners are experiencing just may transfer too much oil out of the engine and into the transmission. Doing the recommended OCI helps to recalibrate the migration back to default.

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
Agree that oils are really good nowadays.
However, there's a good reason for adhering to the 3600 mi OCI.
If you over extend OCI, the oil migration that many 650 owners are experiencing just may transfer too much oil out of the engine and into the transmission. Doing the recommended OCI helps to recalibrate the migration back to default.
Actually maintenance schedule suggest change transmission and final drive gear oil every other engine oil change.

Only engine oil need be change every 3600-3800 mile, note that Suzuki also say you can change engine oil filter every 3 oil change only if you want do so.

·
Premium Member
6,179 Posts
I do my engine & trans at 5k & rear at 10k. I'm running synthetic in all. Worked for 46k + on my 400 with no problems. Other good thing is it's easy to remember 10,15,20,25,30 etc.;)

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Actually maintenance schedule suggest change transmission and final drive gear oil every other engine oil change.

Only engine oil need be change every 3600-3800 mile, note that Suzuki also say you can change engine oil filter every 3 oil change only if you want do so.
Allot of people think changing the filter every oil change helps keep your oil cleaner. But the dirtier a filter gets the more it will trap. That said I still change my filter with every oil change. :)

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Allot of people think changing the filter every oil change helps keep your oil cleaner. But the dirtier a filter gets the more it will trap. That said I still change my filter with every oil change. :)
The air filter is the same way. A new air filter traps much less dirt than one with some miles on it.

·
Registered
302 Posts
You mention the difference between Honda and Suzuki maintenance, showing Honda maintenance with longer intervals. Not all of their scooters have long intervals. Our PCX 150 has 3500 mile intervals on it. I think the manufacturers set up the schedules because of a lot of data they have about failure times on parts. I have a Hyundai car that is still running without any problems due to the maintenance schedule set up by the manufacturer. Some items were changed out under warranty, but most of the time, sticking to the maintenance schedule, the vehicle did fine .

·
Registered
709 Posts
So many people abuse the mileage interval it's not funny. Manufacturers have to cover themselves, and I don't blame them one bit!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts