Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
797 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of the decisions that goes into purchasing a Scooter/Motorcycle is cost of ownership. I'm curious why Honda Scooters and Motorcycles have 8000 mile service intervals while Suzuki Scooters and Motorcycles have 3500-4000 mile service intervals. Are Suzuki Motorcycles inferior to Honda?

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
I'm curious why Honda Scooters and Motorcycles have 8000 mile service intervals while Suzuki Scooters and Motorcycles have 3500-4000 mile service intervals. Are Suzuki Motorcycles inferior to Honda?
Not inferior at all....It's just that Honda knows that their owners aren't as smart and are more lazy owners when it comes to things like changing oil. :p

Howdy
TX

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
It all depends on the bike and what you mean by service. All I do every 4k is change the oil. Filters are changed and cleaned every 8k or so. Tires at 10k. This is all standard stuff, for ANY bike, Honda, Suzuki, no matter the brand.

Smaller bikes might need things changed a bit more. Like my 250 Honda helix, I think I changed oil every 2k or so.

But other than that, big ticket stuff is fairly infrequent. Belts & rollers are 20k on the burgman 400. Clutch is probably double that. Spark plugs seem to last forever. There's debate about valve clearance checks.

So what exactly are you basing this 4k Suzuki vs 8k Honda thing on?

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Seeing that I bought my 650 Burgman used, I will do my service as I see fit. I have always done service at 5K intervals on vehicles I have owned. Cars, trucks, and motorcycles. Makes it easier to keep track of changes. My last pickup went over 200,000 miles before I replaced it. My Honda Pacific Coast motorcycle had about 160,000 miles on it before I replaced it. Everything I have owned has done well at this interval with the exception of my Honda Helix which had a 2K interval and no filter so I did change the oil in it according to the suggested 2k interval.

Reactions: WHiP

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Different bikes{or any machine} will have different service intervals than other ones. Granted the Burgs have a more frequent interval for some basic things like oil change. If this is very important to you then find what fits your needs. I know I would never let an engine go 8000 miles before changing the oil, especially a small engine.

·
Premium Member
6,179 Posts
I also use the 5K service time. Like Doug said makes it easy to remember. ;)

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
The Burg 400 only needs an 'interval' oil change at 4000 miles. Almost nothing else. Tranny filter needs cleaning often but all other 4000 mile checks are routine stuff anyone should be doing all the time anyway. Same for the 650 really.

·
Premium Member
797 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It all depends on the bike and what you mean by service. All I do every 4k is change the oil. Filters are changed and cleaned every 8k or so. Tires at 10k. This is all standard stuff, for ANY bike, Honda, Suzuki, no matter the brand.

Smaller bikes might need things changed a bit more. Like my 250 Honda helix, I think I changed oil every 2k or so.

But other than that, big ticket stuff is fairly infrequent. Belts & rollers are 20k on the burgman 400. Clutch is probably double that. Spark plugs seem to last forever. There's debate about valve clearance checks.

So what exactly are you basing this 4k Suzuki vs 8k Honda thing on?
I'm basing it on the Honda CTX, NCT, and Honda Forza bikes. Suzuki Burgman and other manuals that I have read.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Recommended service intervals are a complex mixture of design/material differences, endurance limits a manufacturer has tested, risk they are willing to take (warranty claims), and a greed factor (shorter intervals generally make more service/parts money for dealers).

Even when a competitor has a longer service interval it is difficult to make a blanket statement that they are "better."

Honda is a higher-volume manufacturer than Suzuki. It would not surprise me if Honda has more life data for its designs and Suzuki ends up being more conservative.

It would surprise me if Honda used superior materials at near the same sell prices for a similar machine (another big if -- how similar are the machines you are comparing?). But also it would not surprise me if Honda was able to hold tighter manufacturing tolerances for some parts at the same cost.

If you are buying a machine for purely objective reasons then your comparison of service intervals can have a higher weighting to you. Two-wheeled vehicles are a bit more emotional to me, along with performance/comfort/style factors that I weight above any service considerations.

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
Remember reading on Europeen web site during winter that Suzuki plan to have new maintenance schedule in 2016. Now do not remember if it 6000 or 8000 mile interval that was in article.

Me would not run 8000 mile without oil change, would maintain 5000 mile interval as this is excellent for me.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
My Honda Silverwings owners manual says to change the oil every 8,000 miles. I never go over 5,000 miles and if I'm going to hit that 5,000 miles on a ride I'll change the oil before I go on that ride. I use synthetic oil(Amsoil)and they say you can extend the miles between changes but I still won't go over 5,000 miles.
I used to change oil every 3,000 miles and have just decided to go to 5,000 mile changes after reading different forums. So really in the paragraph above 3,000 miles is what I've been doing but I'm now changing that to 5,000.
And no matter what the Silverwings owners manual says I think not changing oil till 8,000 miles would be crazy. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Yes.

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
Suzuki has not been doing all that well in the US and more frequent service intervals allows the dealers to make more money from buyers unable to perform their own routine service.

Also the service intervals specified by Suzuki are bullshít, condensed in time by at least a factor of two--7500 miles for a spark plug! Give me a break...

·
Registered
366 Posts
The longest service interval I found is on the new engines from Piaggio, they have developed a engine and transmission that only requires service one a year about every 10, miles their 350cc engine its has 33.3 HP comparable to a 400 engine and gets 70MPG. Piaggio has been building scooters in Italy for over 100 years what hurts them and most Italian brands its dealer network are very poor. But if they ever get better dealer network in US they will hurt the competition. They have the X10 (not in US yet) that compares with the Burgman. Italians have been building quality bikes for many years but suffer from same dealer network problem.
Piaggio makes Vespa, Motoguzzi, Aprilia, Ducati, and many others.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Piaggio has not been building scooters for over a hundred years! The company itself is that old but they started out building locomotive engines and cars and then went into airplanes. After WW2 they started building scooters.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Don't you really think the manufacturers know more about this than you do? They would ere on the side of conservative more than liberal. I doubt anyone has had a problem by following their schedule.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Italians have been building quality bikes for many years but suffer from same dealer network problem.
Piaggio makes Vespa, Motoguzzi, Aprilia, Ducati, and many others.
Now I'm not knocking Italian bikes, they're good bikes, but I wouldn't glorify them either. They are known to be quirky and have some issues. My Aprila owning friend calls it "Itailian Charm". Of course his brand new Mana is leaking coolant from the head, but he loves it just the same. :D

On a ride I sweeped on we had a brand new Vespa, only 200 miles on it, stop working. Really weird issue, It developed a reverse brake starter kill switch; every time you put on the brake, the engine stopped. Italian Charm indeed.

And Little issues too you'd never even think of like my Vespa buddy says his scooter's oil drain plug is situated so the oil flows out, hits the center stand and immediately flows down on to the floor; virtually impossible to catch all the oil as its running down the stand's leg. Bad design flaw there.

Personally, I don't think you can beat the big four Japanese manufacturers for quality of mechanical design & bike manufacture; most reliability studies I've read bear this out.

But to each their own. I will say the Italians do make beautiful looking bikes. They're works of art, many of them. The Vespa 946 is gorgeous. But with true Italian Charm, it's got no storage either. That's Amore!

·
Registered
741 Posts
Just advertising if your like some you base your purchase on saving $50 a year on services, most if not all people go on looks comfort performance etc not longer service intervals.

Toyota Diesel Landcruiser had a long service interval they quickly changed it as the warranties started to flow (drop big end bearings from dirty oil).

The only way to extend oil changes is with full synthetic oil and a larger oil capacity.

Also Burgman 250 had 5,000k oil intervals (has a filter) and Yamaha Majesty 250 had 3,000k intervals (no filter only a screen)

Greg

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
In the late 90s Mercedes advertised "life-time, never needs to be serviced" auto-transmission fluid on their higher end cars--there was a service fill-tube, but it was sealed and had no dipstick. In the early 2000s, after losing a slug of money on warranty repairs they issued a service bulletin recommending 40k mile changes. I have seen this same thing happen numerous times over the years...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts