Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll need my initial 600 mile service next month here in the west LA area. I have 3 dealerships within 15 miles I could go to - Marina Suzuki, LA Suzuki, Del Amo Motorsports. Is there anyone out there with recommendations or cautions? Any other 1st service tips will be appreciated too.

·
Premium Member
443 Posts
Jeff, I posted on this in the Burgman 400 section: "Surveyin' 600 Mile Service in SoCal." Prices can vary a lot. Have you priced the 3 dealers near you?
Patti

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Patti, thanks for the info - I checked the post you referred to. My first concern is finding a service dept. that has a good track-record (experience) with Burgman's. In surfing this GREAT forum, I sense that 99.9% of us are thrilled with our scooters, BUT not necessarily with our dealers. Since I'm lucky enough to live in an area where I actually have a choice, I'm just trying to make an informed decision. Price is definitely important, but I'm willing to pay more to go to a 'recommended' dealer.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not me Bleeder. I'm a Blue 400 and I'm not riding the freeways until I'm out of the break-in phase (both the machine and my riding skills). Then again, the 405 is usually equivilant to riding in a parking lot. :)

·
Registered
428 Posts
So true. :(

I was stopped NB watching the stopped SB when the Burgie went by SB lane splitting. :lol:

Hope you find a service dept. you're happy with.

Cheers.

·
Registered
190 Posts
That'd be me, probably. I commute Rolling Hills to West LA every day, about 50% of the time on the Burgman, the rest on the VTR. Always lanesplitting.

I wouldn't take my Burgman to a dealer if you paid me. For the 600 mile service, why don't'cha bring it by my place? Check the manual to see what you're supposed to change, pick up the parts, and I'll help you do it. Actually, we could do a garage day for SoCal Burgman owners and get some more people over. I have a moderate selection of tools, a service manual, and a need to go after the valves on mine (if you want to take a look inside one).

Weekends this month are a little busy, but if the 600 mile service is just oil changing and checking bolts, I can fit it in. PM me if you're interested.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Well I was proud enough to see a lane splitting Burgie, but a lane splitting lawyer on a Burgie? Yeah, baby!!! Gotta love it. :lol:

Cheers.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Spacewrench,

I'm a pretty handy guy but I've never worked on a motorcycle/scooter before. I'll probably do my own oil changes, but with the valve inspection/adjustment required for the 600mi service - I think I'll leave that for the dealer (just in case any warranty issues should pop up down the line).

I think your 'garage day' idea is fantastic. I'd welcome a chance to learn the art of motorcycle maintenance. I'm sure there are others in LALA-land who feel the same. I'll check back with you next month.

·
Registered
190 Posts
...with the valve inspection/adjustment required for the 600mi service - I think I'll leave that for the dealer (just in case any warranty issues should pop up down the line).
I didn't notice that you're on a 400. The 650 doesn't require a valve check at the 600 mile service, but I think the consensus is that the 400 does (valves at 600 miles? WTF?!)

Anyway, good luck at the dealer. I can't help you out with first-hand positive or negative recs on any of those three since my experience with them is limited to having Del Amo put on a tire backwards (they're not the only one that's done that, though). And good luck with Suzuki warranty, too. Again, no first hand experience, but there seem to be an awful lot of horror stories around... Make sure you check your oil before every ride...

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
When I lived in Torrance I used to get most of my work done
at Vance & Hinds(sp?) near the Del Amo Mall. It's been several years
so I don't know if they're still there but they did good work &
weren't quite as pricey as the dealers.

·
Registered
61 Posts
We got our 600-mile service done at LA Cyclesports on Hyde Avenue in Inglewood, same place we purchased. So far, so good. They charged about $200 and checked and adjusted the valves, did oil change, etc. My husband went over the list with them. After the 600-mile service, we plan to get the bikes serviced at a nearby local motorcycle repair place on Prairie Ave called Richard's Motorcycles. Richard worked on our 85 Elite 250 and did a good job, always informing us if there was some problem we should take a look at.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts