Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Every now and again over the past several years I've had the urge to buy a scooter and for one reason or another I've pushed the notion out of my mind. Beginning a week or so ago, the notion hit me again and this time around I've pursued it a little further.

Last time around I was looking seriously at a Silver Wing, and so I began my search for information starting there, but soon discovered the merits of the Burgman 650 which eventually led me to this site and the treasure trove of information that it contains (thanks!).

Today I requested quotes from various dealerships in the area via email, and only one has bothered to respond to my requests so far. What's interesting about this is which dealership it is. You see tonight I stumbled across this thread:

http://burgmanusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3727

This thread descibes the outstanding support that billmeek received courtesy of the Yamaha - Suzuki of Cool Springs service department (as well as the less than outstanding support provided by Suzuki themselves). As you may have guessed, the only dealership that replied to my request for a quote was also Yamaha - Suzuki of Cool Springs.

In reality I wasn't terribly impressed with the quote, but then again, I'm not yet real knowledgable with regards to the cost of a used Burgman 650. They are offering this 2003 Burgman 650 with 7370 miles for $5,895. Sloan's on the other hand is offering a 2004 Burgman 650 with 2601 miles for $5,999. Still, I was very impressed with Bill's story. And whereas I wouldn't have given them a second thought when I can get a 2004 model with 1/3 of the miles from a dealer much closer to me for only $100, now I'm certainly going to give them consideration... they'll get even more consideration if they can do something about that price :)

Anyway, this is all somewhat preliminary. I'm not licensed yet. I go this weekend for my MSF class and after that I can begin haggling in earnest :)

Thanks for all the great info. An excellent resource for owners and potential owners of Burgman's and even those other scooters ;)

Casey

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
Greetings, Casey. Welcome to the ICOBO. :hello2:

Either of those deals wouldn't be too bad, but all else being equal I'd go for the '04. Getting that many fewer miles for only $104.00 more is a bargain.

7370 miles, though, isn't a lot. As of tonight I have 10,005 miles on my '03, bought last June. I haven't had a bit of trouble with it, and have only done the recommended services at the recommended intervals. (Well, I went a little over on my 7500 mile service -- 9000. :oops: )

Pauljo, if I recall, has more than 14,000 on his 650; he really racks up the miles.

Anyway, once again, welcome. Best of wishes on your MSF course.

·
Premium Member
1,593 Posts
Hi Casey, welcome to the Forum. Whichever scooter you may decide on, keep in mind the value and importance of a dealership that can provide you with good service and support after the purchase. Purchase price is certainly important but, good service is priceless.
Enjoy your safety classes and keep us posted.

Don

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Hi Casey and welcome to the forum. I'm thrilled to hear that BurgmanUsa was able to help with info in preparing you with Burgman ownership. Good luck with your quest and keep us updated.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Casey,

Welcome to BurgmanUSA. The difference in mileage isn't a big deal. The difference in model year is worth about $375 per the NADA Blue Book. Both dealer quotes are higher than NADA average retail prices.

If it were me I would go to the Cool Springs dealer and look at the 650. Assuming that you like what you see, ask to speak with the sales manager. Tell the SM that you are aware of the very good reputation that the dealership has on BurgmanUSA and you would prefer to do business with them, but that their price quote is not competitive. Make a reasonable offer - see if they'll come down 300 to 400 dollars. If they won't budge that far, see if they'll throw in equivalent value in accessories. I'll bet you could use a new helmet, riding jacket, riding gloves, rain suit, etc. - good gear costs money too. Sometimes dealers are more receptive to making up a price descrepancy in that way. If they don't offer a reasonable deal, tell them that you have to go look at the '04, and go do that. The other dealer also needs to come down in price, so see if they will work with you.

Be sure to check the rear tire on the '03 also. With that mileage, it could be new or it could be showing significant wear. If it needs a new tire, insist that they provide that at their cost. The front tire is most likely the original (they don't wear out as fast as the rear tires), but make sure it looks good as well.

NADA Blue Book

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks again for the info guys. Really a big help :)

I just sent the sales rep from Cool Springs an email asking them if they can get into the $5800 range out the door then we might be on to something assuming everything on the bike looks as good as he says it is. I'll take that offer and see if Sloan's wants to make my decision more or less difficult.

Casey

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Greetings from Columbia, TN!

I've had positive experiences from both of these dealers, though I've switched to Cool Springs due a) to the Bill Meek thing and b) simple geography; Cool Springs is much closer to my home. It is only fair, though, to point out that Sloan's never did me anything even remotely resembling a wrong. They have been pleasant, fair, and hardworking as well.

Why not get them into a bidding war?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Lapine Rider said:
Why not get them into a bidding war?
Works for me :)

Sloan's is probably 10 to 15 minutes closer to me, but Cool Springs is the only one to reply to an email so far and therefore the only people I'm talking to at the moment. Once I get something firm, I'll give Sloan's a chance to do better. I also sent a quote request for a new 650 to Polaris-Suzuki of Nashville but I haven't heard a peep out of them either.

Casey

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Hi Casey and welcome.

Responding to an email is one thing - but negotiation - mmmm not by email methinks! :wink:

Much better - get close and personal - 'the whites of their eyes and the colour of the greenbacks' is a much more effective and engaging strategy!

Good luck.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
NormanB said:
Responding to an email is one thing - but negotiation - mmmm not by email methinks! :wink:
Sadly, my schedule won't allow for anything more at the moment. Without taking time off of work I won't be able to go visit a dealership for more than a week. So if a dealership is willing to work with me through email to get the preliminaries out of the way then great! If not, then I'll try and visit as time and enthusiasm permits. More time to talk myself out of what is, for me, not the most practical purchase in the world :)

Casey

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Casey,

Try calling them for a quote. They may have to call you back or you call them back but it will save a lot of running around and begin that 'get to know you' stage of the interaction with the dealers. You can even call back with a lower price and see if they will match/beat it when you have several quotes. If not you still have a good starting point for the haggling stage (face to face) at the dealerships you decide are worth visiting. With gas what it is, eliminating several before spending lots of time and gas visiting there just makes good sense. Sometimes going there you find that there isn't even someone available to give you that quote. Why inconvenience yourself? :)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Selias said:
Try calling them for a quote. They may have to call you back or you call them back but it will save a lot of running around and begin that 'get to know you' stage of the interaction with the dealers. You can even call back with a lower price and see if they will match/beat it when you have several quotes.
This is what will most likely have to happen, it's just easier to be discreet while I'm at work if I use email. Come Monday when I have that M attached to my driver's license (if all goes as planned) I'll probably throw discretion out the window :)

Casey

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hank from Sloan's just called... the 2004 they had was sold yesterday... D'oh!

Casey

·
Registered
26 Posts
Years ago I used to sell autos, so of course I am an expert on the topic of negotaition :wink:
We never gave our final price to anyone who was not willing to sit down and buy something right then. Total waste of time! As a consumer, you need to educate yourself to find out what you think is a fair deal. But everyone has to make a profit or there wouldn't be a business there in the first place. (nor would you have a job)
I would explain, that you would prefer to purchase from them, but this is the price that you think is fair(whatever that number is). Offer it to them in person, Let them know you will purchase it right now, without shopping the deal around for a few more dollars.
Being in-person and willing to sign on the dotted line has power and integrity.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Email actually worked :shock:

OK, so I had talked to the guy on the phone yesterday, but I emailed my proposal this morning which they agreed to! My cousin agreed to help me bring it home so assuming everything checks out, I'll be the proud new owner of a Burgman 650 tomorrow!

:shock:

Casey

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Brilliant news, well done!

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
A (belated) welcome to the BurgmanUSA forums Casey. Glad to have another Mid TN member join us. I missed your first post on the forums as I was off enjoying my 400 over in Deals Gap all of last week. I saw (and made an offer on) the 2003 silver 650 you ended up purchasing before I went over. If ya ever want to get together for a ride, let me know. You're also welcome to join the Nashville Scooter Meetup Group that meets the first Saturday of each month at noon. It'd be great to have another Burgman show up. Congratulations on the 'Pre-Loved' Burgman 650.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts