Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK...I've pretty much decided I want a Sena. However, that opens another can of worms, because there are about eight of them available. :help:

So...Sena 3, Sena SMH5, Sena 10...help?

I basically want it for listening to music on my phone via Bluetooth. An FM reciever would be nice. I have no plans to use it as an intercom, or even to make phone calls.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Just remember, you can always have more and never need it or you can buy less then the next day find a new riding buddy and not be able to communicate. I got the 10 a few weeks ago. Wow is it complicated to get going but I am getting there. I am getting used to it. Stereo is nice. For about $140, its a good deal.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
we got the 20s but there is a design flaw and they are denying it.
They replaced the one that broke ( two uses )
But we sent both in for replacement and they sent only one back...my kid is going ballistic on them.

It's the lower unit - the locking tab breaks off...tons of reports on it.

http://support.sena.com/entries/50209680-20S-does-not-lock-onto-its-base

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
I have the 20s and really love it. I picked up a dual pack new on eBay chePer than a single pack in the store. I love them to death. Being able to answer a call while riding 3+ hours is amazing. It's saved me quite a few times. Battery life has some to be desired but not bad really. No one can even tell I'm on my bike with the modular helmet up, vent in windshield open, and going 85 on the highway. One of the must haves for me is the fm radio. Bit of bad reception but I'm debating on sending one in to see if it has a transmitter problem. I doubt it though.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I have used the smh5 fm for a few years and have had no problems. I use it combined with a sm10 wireless sender which I keep in one of the dash pockets. The sm10 allows my gps and my ipad to go wireless to my helmet. so I can hear my gps, ipad for tunes and receive telephone calls.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
I have used the smh5 fm for a few years and have had no problems. I use it combined with a sm10 wireless sender which I keep in one of the dash pockets. The sm10 allows my gps and my ipad to go wireless to my helmet. so I can hear my gps, ipad for tunes and receive telephone calls.
So, your saying the 5 and the 10 can both use the base that comes with the 10?

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
we got the 20s but there is a design flaw and they are denying it.
They replaced the one that broke ( two uses )
But we sent both in for replacement and they sent only one back...my kid is going ballistic on them.

It's the lower unit - the locking tab breaks off...tons of reports on it.

http://support.sena.com/entries/50209680-20S-does-not-lock-onto-its-base
Well...the 20 is out, then.

At this point, I'm leaning toward the SMH-5FM. Complicated is out, because I'm REALLY stupid.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Don't let my "complicated" scare you. I think they are all about the same. They can do so much and I did not expect that. Just have to spend some time with the manual, sitting on the couch making phone calls with my helmet on.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I've got the SMH-10. My main interest in a BT communication headset was intercom, and the intercom range on this unit is great - even out of line of sight However, now that I've got it I find I did not anticipate how much I would enjoy listenting to music while riding.

Since your primary interest is phone and FM, then the SMH-5FM does seem the way to go. It does have an intercom function; a more limited range than the SMH-10 but certainly adequate for communication if riding with a friend and you don't get too far apart.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I also have the SMH-10.....LOVE it!
It takes a bit to get used to, but once you do its delightful!
I listen to music, take calls and on occasion, pair with my youngest son who has the same unit. When taking phone calls, no one ever knows I'm riding! I have a modular shoei helmet, when i tell people I'm motorcycle riding, they can't believe it.
The speakers are nice and loud if you want, and of course you can automatically answer any call by just saying "hello".

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hmm...that might be a problem...my usual greeting on the phone is, "Shady Acres Insane Asylum." :)

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Now that I bought a Sena, I am finding many riders that have them and really like them. I figure I can always sell this one for a decent price and upgrade if I choose.

·
Registered
199 Posts
http://www.sena.com/product/adapters/sm10/

the sm10 is a Bluetooth transmitter. it can be kept anywhere on the scoot there is room and a 12v power source. I keep mine in the left dash pocket along with my ipod which is conn to the sm10. My gps (cheap one)has a external speaker jack conn to the sm10. Both are sent wireless to the smh5-fm which is mounted on my helmet.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have also been known to use, "Daisy Hill Puppy Farm." :D

·
Registered
8 Posts
Timely post. Like the OP, I wanted a headset to stream music from my phone. No need for an intercom or talk on the phone (at least at this point in time).

I went with he Sena SMH10-11. The -11 has a removable microphone. And there is a way to pair the headset with the phone so all that will be connected is the music, not the phone.

I truly have an expensive set of bluetooth speakers. ;)

Installation was simple. I ended up using the spacers to move the speakers out closer to my ears for more volume. Pairing the phone and headset was also straight forward.

Took it out for a ride and it works perfectly! Plenty of volume. The sound was bright (I'm thinking it's set that was to help cut thru any possible wind noise) so I used the eq on the phone to tone it down a little.

With only the music streaming and not the phone, there are only about half a dozen "button push sequences" you need to remember. Not too overwhelming.

I'm 100% satisfied and would buy this again in a heartbeat. No buyers remorse here.

·
Registered
50 Posts
i just bought the smh5 with fm on ebay and love it, it takes a little getting used to when calling out, that dumb woman in there has trouble understanding me, i tried to call home here in sarasota and got my daughter in grand rapids, but my fault, i love it fm and all. i have discovered if you go on the interstate with it i can hear the radio better with earplugs in, it seems to cut down on the wind noise. it looks complicated out of the box, but take a step at a time and it is really easy to set up.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
erv77 it's hard for some people to understand but as you've found out that earplugs help block the wind noise and make it a lot easier to hear the communicators. I have a friend who wears a modular helmet and always had a hard time hearing us when we ride in a group. I offered him a pair of earplugs and he said he had a pair and never thought about trying them. After riding with them he said he now can hear us reasonably well. I always try to use earplugs anytime I ride over 50 mph and it greatly improves how well I can hear the speakers.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
i just bought the smh5 with fm on ebay and love it, it takes a little getting used to when calling out, that dumb woman in there has trouble understanding me, i tried to call home here in sarasota and got my daughter in grand rapids, but my fault, i love it fm and all. i have discovered if you go on the interstate with it i can hear the radio better with earplugs in, it seems to cut down on the wind noise. it looks complicated out of the box, but take a step at a time and it is really easy to set up.
How is the reception? I just question how well it will work having no external antenna.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Bought the Shark F9

Bought a pair of Shark F9 coms with FM. They are great units and had NO trouble with them. They cost $149 a Pair! Imagine that! Good for 8/10 ths of a mile and crystal clear.....even the radio. I would highly reccomend to give these a try. Theydo all the same things that the expensive units do.:p

1 - 20 of 22 Posts