Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How would self cancelling turn signals work, since you lean to turn a corner?

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
It been a long time since my XS750 Yam but they were based on both time (about 10 sec) and feet traveled...something like 175 feet. And the time didn't cut them off if you were stopped at a light. They worked flawlessly for the 2-3 years I had the bike.

I've also had bikes with "change lane" provision...just a slight push and hold for changing lanes; release without having to manually cancel. I liked that. I think most cars have this.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Yep. It is time and distance. I forgot the timer part in my last post. The important part is that they won't time out when stopped. The bikes that I had with that feature just worked fine - so I never much thought about how they worked. It is like when you twist the throttle, you don't think about the various sensors, the FI computer, the throttle bodies, etc. You just know that twisting the throttle brings on more power.

This self cancelling turn signal technology has been around since at least the mid-eighties. It is not new, and it is proven. It would cost next to nothing for Suzuki to put it on our Burgman's. I think it is often limited to the top of the line touring motorcycles as a sales incentive more than anything else. Hey, if you buy this $12,000 touring bike you get self cancelling turn signals, along with reverse gear and a hydraulically deployed centerstand! It's marketing BS.

·
Registered
31,101 Posts
For a few years in the 80s and 90s, just about every new bike had self cancelling turn signals. Now, they seem to be abandoned in favor of "pash to cancel" which have been common on pretty well all the new bikes I've ridden lately. Harley seems to be the only one who've continued using them.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I am waiting to make a left turn in a busy intersection and a 50cc scooter was infront of me also making a left turn. And I can hear his turn signal
clicking so loud that I was going, boy you'll never forget to turn that sucker off. I don't mind having a londer flasher/blinker in my 400.
Anybody know if the 400 flasher/blinker is the same style as the car ones.
Because I have a few car flasher/blinker at home that I can try.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I was out today in 40 degree weather, freezing my buns off when I discovered an amazing thing with the turn signals. Since my gloves are very big and bulky for the cold weather I was having trouble with the turn signal switch. I just couldn't get the thing turned off. When I accidently pushed the switch button. It turned the signal off.

I guess everyone else on this forum knows this bit of information, but I was elated. When we got home I told my husband about my discovery and he checked it out on his Valkryie and it did the same thing. See what happens when you don't read the manual? It allows for a wonderful learning experience.

So, although I would like to have a self cancelling turn signal, I am happy tonight with having a button that turns them off.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Never had the problem of turning off the signals, even with self canceling I would turn it off.
I guess it's the habits you form early on (some good -some bad) that are hard to break.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts