Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Seeking input on my Burgman purchase

Here is an album of the 2008 400 I purchased Saturday. It didn't look like the other Burgmans I saw online. It was very reasonably priced. At first I didn't like the look but it grew on me based on the mileage, 4k, and the way it rides.

http://burgmanusa.com/forums/members/62929-bcolladay-albums-2008-burgman-400-gsx.html

The scooter featured in this video review looks exactly like the one I bought. I know it came from Oklahoma so I am wondering how widespread this conversion is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cr2Hyq52Eco

I was in a hurry so I don't even have the scooter yet. I just paid for it and left.

Also what is the thing to the left of the key/ignition switch area?

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
What's "reasonably priced" if you don't mind me asking?
Btw, the thing on the left of the ignition is the parking brake

·
Registered
1,038 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Now for the disclaimer.

Branded title. I asked for the story. It took a slide at about 20 mph. But it was beautifully rebuilt. They said it was plastic damage only. But totaled, guy bought it back and had it fixed. That is how the title got branded Rebuilt Salvage.

I spent many years in the auto collision repair field and rebuilt and drove many "re-builders" so that in itself doesn't scare me. I crawled all over the bike and couldn't find any rusty areas from tweaks on the frame and it was fairly obvious the repair was professional. The fit and finish was perfect. The ride was great, no pulls, no vibrations or anything like that. Took it up to 80 and rode around town.

Still wow?

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Looks like you got a great deal my friend...Great looking bike

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, they shot it at a weird angle, I wasn't sure I'd like it looking at it online, but in person it was impressive. I'm not sure I'm going to be patient enough to wait and pick it up on Saturday.

·
Premium Member
4,516 Posts
To the left of the ignition switch is the
security shutter. It has some pin magnets
inside that match the 'weird' head on the
ignition key....the pin magnets in the
key-head have to match the pin magnets
in the shutter-cover.
The cover keeps kids...or others...from
sticking little sticks or gum or anything
into the ignition switch.....makes for
a bad day.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks, I couldn't tell what it was I thought something had broken off of it.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Basically, it was converted to a Type S{the Type S was available in the USA on the 2005 and 2006 but no other years - I have a 2006 Type S BTW}. The Type S has a short WS and naked HB along with a few other detail changes. Note that the stock WS was cut down{or one was bought from Japan/Europe}. It also had the handlebar converted to a naked style. The rust on the HB looks bad but you could easily get a new one. Those bars are very short{much shorter than stock} and you might want to change them anyway for a more comfortable ride{the bars are also fairly narrow}.

The paint job is styled to look like this - http://www.latestbikesinfo.com/suzuki-burgman-400-sport.html

As far as I could find the one above was a one-off show prototype that Suzuki made. Although it is possible somebody else copied this, most likely you have a one of a kind custom. Unless some shop was making them but I can't find any evidence of it.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the info, yep noticed the surface rust on the handlebars. The air ride is weird, to use the center stand you have to let the air ride completely down first.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So, I finally picked it up Saturday, (it is Monday as I write this) I knew I was buying it as is. I had a friend drop me off. It was at a dealership about 40 miles away. I was planning on riding home. They had me finish up the paper work and asked if I needed help loading it. When I said I was riding home, they said they don't allow AS-IS bikes to ride off their lot. I guess I can understand that to a point. Turns out that the tail light wasn't working, turn signals worked and brake lights worked just no tail light, it was day time so again that didn't bother me. They finally agreed to let me ride home after I initialed that I knew what wasn't working. They were nice enough to try and fix it first though.

It ran nice, the speedometer is a little over 8% optimistic, 56 on GPS shows 61. That FMF pipe is ridiculous though. I thought it was cool for the first 10 minutes but now I know I will change it. I was battling a 20 mph crosswind for the first 12 miles but the last 30 were with that as a tailwind.

I noticed that the select and adjust buttons didn't work so that kind of sucked. I'm beginning to think that the speedometer has been replaced. I'm now wondering if this is actually 4400 miles, or if that's how many are on this speedo. I'm afraid to do a carfax now.

So, I started to check the bulbs in the tail light, they were all fine, I just wasn't getting full power to the lead, I could see I was getting some voltage, when I grounded the bulb base, the brake light got much brighter. So I was thinking bad ground. As I started tracing the wiring harness I must have pulled it loose because I lost all rear lights then. I managed to get it hooked back up with a minimum of plastic removal. Yay lights!

I decided to look into the "select" "adjust" buttons. That's fun getting to the cluster. Thankful for the guy who shows how to remove everything on these on youtube. There was a good reason the buttons didn't work, whatever is supposed to be between the buttons and the cluster (some kind of plastic rod likely) were gone, they just installed without them. So my hack was to make some toothpicks the right length and sand the ends flat. It worked like a charm. Seriously though that windshield is a pain in the butt.

I'm going to do a title check and hope for the best. I like the bike and I'm slowly getting used to the extra 100 lbs. I will like it even better once I change the muffler.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Title check? Did you not get a title when you bought it?

Glad you were able to fix the electrical issues.

What do you not like about the windshield? too short? if so a stock one would be easy to refit. Or you could get an aftermarket one, several brands out there.

I assume the pipe is too loud? FMF makes a quiet insert for that muffler, it sells for $8.99. Not sure how it mounts in the pipe but it might be a solution to consider{cheaper than getting a new pipe}.
http://www.fmfracing.com/Products/Pavement/589 - use the pop down list

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The windshield is just hard to put back on, unless I'm doing something wrong. The little rubber bushings have to go through the dash cover and the windshield and putting the screws in sometimes pushes them right back through.

I did a title check and miles look right. It appears that it was wrecked 3 months after it was bought new and then may have sat for 4 years before someone repaired it, and when they did, they did the customization.

I saw the FMF quiet inserts, I'm going to order one. It looks like they install at the muffler/header joint so should be easy. I'm just used to a much quieter scooter. The RPM at take off is slightly over 3000 rpm so I make a lot of noise at intersections.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
they said they don't allow AS-IS bikes to ride off their lot.
That would bother the heck out of me. If they can't trust it to be safe enough to drive off the lot, they shouldn't be selling it.

"AS IS" to me means, "everything works unless otherwise noted and there's no warranty". Not, "we didn't even check the basics like lights"..

But it sounds like you are a hands on person, so you should be fine. That bike does look really nice.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
It is an interesting policy. They let me test drive it the week before so I don't see the difference. I think they don't do a lot of that there. I think they got stuck with a branded title and didn't want to put any money into it at all, so they sold it that way. I've never hear anything from anybody that was bad about this dealership, so I think this is a CYA policy for when they sell something AS-IS. I could see someone who doesn't get it trying to ride a bike without checking it out and trying to sue the dealer for selling them an unsafe bike. I think they are saying, trailer this home, check it out before you ride it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts