Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

Security

2K views 15 replies 12 participants last post by  farqhuarforever 
#1 ·
I'm curious how often Burgmans are stolen anyone here know of someone or had one stolen from themselves? Recently watched a video talking about relocating the kickstand kill switch and using it as an antitheft measure, if they don't know where you put it they won't be able to get the scoot started. Prob not worth the effort but thought I'd bring it up and see what comes from the discussion.

#3 ·
I put an alarm system on the bike that is a motion sensor and will sound the alarm on movement... I also use the handlebar lock when parked... If they want to move it,,, let them go in circles... If a real thief wants to steal my scoot,,, they will ... Locks are ment to keep honest people honest...

#4 ·
I always lock my forks as well but I've read of contraptions thieves build to put the front wheel on a board with rollers so they can still move it. I'm sure no matter what you do if someone wants it they will get it.

Does anyone know where I can find numbers on what makes and models are stolen the most and how many of a specific make and model is stolen?

#6 ·
Why waste your time and effort..??????? Recently - I read a story about 2 Harley-Davidsons which were chained together - The thieves STOLE both of them.........!!!!!! :lol: :lol: That's why God "invented" theft insurance..... :thumbup:

#8 ·
I watched a British motorcycle video once that evaluated several highly rated motorcycle chains and locks. None of them lasted more than about 90 seconds with a set of bolt cutters. So I've come up with a solution after that for not having my bike stolen that is absolutely fool proof.

My solution? I just park next to a Burgman 650. After all, who would want a 400? They'll steal the 650 and leave my 400 behind. ;)

It is a little funny how the mind works. I park outside my church on a busy intersection and I'm more worried about the bike being stolen there, than at the prison. Heck, I could leave the keys in the ignition at the prison and not have a problem. There are guards in the towers with guns that can watch over the entire area. It's probably the safest place I can park. :lol: We can't take things like our wallets in the prison, so we leave them in our vehicles. When I've taken the car, I commonly leave my wallet, cell phone, etc. on the front seat. Who is going to break in? That's the best "alarm" system you can come up with. :lol:

Chris

#9 ·
4 bikes stolen locally in the last month and all had locks.
All 4 of them stolen by the same guys and it took only seconds to steal.
They picked them up and stuffed them in a van and drove off.
Thankfully they got caught on a security camera and have been arrested! :thumbup:
NOTHING WILL STOP A MOTIVATED THIEF.

#10 ·
I used to have a Piaggio MP3 500.. One of the few things that dissapointed me about the Burgman was the lack of built in security.. The Piaggio was a paperweight without the single smart key.. Will not start, and a parts bike after that.. The problem is that the key is very expensive (or can be) as the key matches the ECU.. so there are two side to that.. also replacement keys are pretty tough to come by.. The bike comes with one (red) programmable key, and one 2nd key that you use every day that has been programmed.. you need both to sell the bike (just thought I would throw that in) .. but my insurance Co. gave me a discount for an effective anti theft system.

#11 ·
Yeah I wouldn't mind that key fob feature that comes on the Skywaves in Japan. I think it's pretty much the same thing as that key that is tied to the ECU, can't start the bike if the FOB isn't present. The burgman is pretty damned heavy though and aside from being a "scooter" in most peoples eyes it would be hard to pick up. I have considered Lojack but I'm not entirely convinced that I need it.

#12 ·
The UK ones have the transponder key mine as but I would rather be without it, only real problems I
have had with vehicles over the last 20 years have been with immobiliser systems I would rather have
it nicked than be sitting there and not be able to start it because it wont reconise the dam key. They
dont like weather radar or in fact any high rf fields.

#13 ·
v8eyedoc said:
Why waste your time and effort..??????? Recently - I read a story about 2 Harley-Davidsons which were chained together - The thieves STOLE both of them.........!!!!!! :lol: :lol: That's why God "invented" theft insurance..... :thumbup:
Two guys with a pair of new Kawasakis on their trailer stopped at a motel in west Texas. Backed the trailer in close to their door, ran a string from the trailer in to their motel room. Next morning all was gone. Perhaps they should be cheapies like me who would never spend money for a motel when I can grab 40 winks inside my vehicle.

#14 ·
Mena, Arkansas...Sun Country Motel...last room at the end of the building...
nobody watching.....put my Burgman inside my room & closed the curtains...

#16 ·
Noth said:
One of the few things that dissapointed me about the Burgman was the lack of built in security..
North America is the only market that does not order this feature as standard from the factory. It has been available as a standard feature on Burgmen in all other countries since 2005.

Scotty1981 said:
Are motels targeted by car/bike thieves?..
In Kazakhstan and Russia they certainly are - I had the steering lock on my 2002 Burgman bent by thieves in an unsuccessful attempt to steal it from the carpark of a motel 5 years ago. I had to hacksaw off the bent steering lock rod as it jammed the steering and made the bike unrideable. If anyone has a spare lock rod (part of the ignition lock) please let me know as I would like to reinstate the steering lock someday.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.