Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a secondary gas tank available anywhere that could be fitted under the seat on the 650 to increase the touring capacity of the Burgman? Has anyone come up with any ideas other than carrying a Gerry can on the back seat....Thanks

·
Registered
5,794 Posts
Get a specially fitted Camelback (presumably with a bladder that can withstand gasoline and other solvents) and just tube it down to the fuel line with a T fitting, and your problem is solved. The only downside is that if you ever get into a bad situation you could end up looking like a flaming cannonball or tiki-torch.

·
Premium Member
479 Posts
This question seems to arise now and then. My thing is, why would any want to be in the saddle for more than 3 hrs at a time ? I mean, a full tank would get ya around 160 miles give or take a few. Anyway, I guess thats why my wife says I need to do more squats (flat ass syndrome) :lol: :lol: My butt is trashed after 2 hrs anyway...Good excuse to have a smoke and gas up :D

·
Registered
284 Posts
I agree. I can't see needing an external tank unless you're touring where there aren't many gas stations or you're very absent minded and forget to gas up often. :eek:

·
Registered
2,064 Posts

·
Administrator
22,788 Posts
Sort of like these? I copied your pictures and just added flags of what is going on.

Automotive fuel system Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motor vehicle Fluid
Automotive tire Vehicle Automotive lighting Bicycle part Bicycle tire

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
The first time I saw secondary gas tanks added to bikes was reading about the Iron Butt rally. People were adding aux. fuel tanks to ST1100's even though they already had a 7.4 gallon gas tank to begin with.

I think the downside to this is the added complexity to the vehicle. If you need to repair something now you might have an auxiliary fuel system to drain and disconnect also. Also filling the vehicle at stops becomes more complex because both tanks need to be filled. My friend Werner has a Suzuki trike for his wife. I think it is a C50. I believe he needs to flip an electrical switch to a pump to have the reserve tank flow to the main tank. I might be mistaken but I believe that was what he said.

Also if you want to sell the bike I don't think it would add to the resale of the bike and a lot of people don't want to purchase a Frankenstein.

Reactions: Dave_J

·
Registered
2022 Matte Deep Blue Kymco AK 550
4,608 Posts
With the looks of the setup that @smith716 did it looks like you only fill the new tank which also flows gas into the original tank as if they were simply a split tank setup like on the ST1300. No need to flip a switch or drain 2 tanks, other than the volume of gas that is in both tanks. Only question is if the fuel system pressurization is right to avoid future damage to the fuel system and injectors.

On another note... I'd hate to loose the storage that kind of setup takes under the seat. Why I'd prefer to stay with a bottle of spare gas, maybe adding a tool tube hanging on the outside someplace like under a luggage rack or top case that would not take up all the precious storage space for other things I carry.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts