Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

This is such a great forum and helped me decide on a 2012 Burgman 400. I probably spent many a night reading through different threads to make a decision on whether to go motorcycle or a scooter. Ten years ago I had a 600 Honda Shadow and rode for about five years before calling it quits because of late husband's health. Fast forward and I'm now dating a guy with 9 motorcycles and I had the desire to do it again.

The bad news is that one week before I was to pick up my Burgman 400; I had a serious accident at the MSF class I was taking. I was riding a 150 that had the brake pedal moved so that it was in not in front on the left foot peg--you had to raise your leg and curl it around like a chimp. I came around a corner too fast and panicked and grabbed the front brake and went sailing over the handle bars and ended up with a broken ankle in two places and dislocated. Now 6 months later and a plate in my ankle I am able to ride again. I went back with a different MSF (offered me the course at cost when they heard what happened) and passed. I bought a really nice 26 year 500cc Honda Shadow with only 8,000 miles.

I liked the Shadow, but was not something that I wanted to take long trips on, so it was back to looking at the Burgmans again. Found what I wanted and took ownership on Sept 8 and have been a happy camper ever since. Because of what I read on this forum, I traded out the stock windshield and added the Givi Af 266 Airflow and a Throttle Miser.

Just a couple of "newbie" questions:

1. What kind of damage if you went 3 blocks with the park brake on?
  2. Later if I replace the rollers, how much better the mileage? I know the RPMs are better and would think easier on the bike?
Thanks and really enjoy your posts.

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
1) damage to brakes depends on how hard the parking brake was set. If anything, not much. Just worn down pads some. If you said a miles we would be talking possible warped rotors and such. But couple blocks, wouldn't worry to much about it.

2) You probably wont see THAT much improvement if you went with slider weights, maybe 1 or 2mpg, if even that. Might be more noticeable on long freeway rides, but for around town, sliders will not be of any benefit to fuel efficiency.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
When I had my 08 400, I left the brake on a couple of times and it didn't hurt anything. It has not been a problem on my 650 because the brake is stronger and you don't try to ride with it on.

I wouldn't do anything with the rollers. Mine was bone stock and it performed great and got in the mid to upper 60s the way and places I rode it.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the feedback. Seems like the parking brake was easier to remember to set than releasing. Interesting about the rollers and sounds like I will be fine with the stock. Compared to riding on the mc which had 6 gears and the last being overdrive; I keep thinking the RPMs should not be so high.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
Seems like the parking brake was easier to remember to set than releasing.
Remember always to look at the dash before you start -- any red light from it means you should check its cause until you get sure it's safe to go.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
1) damage to brakes depends on how hard the parking brake was set. If anything, not much. Just worn down pads some. If you said a miles we would be talking possible warped rotors and such. But couple blocks, wouldn't worry to much about it.

2) You probably wont see THAT much improvement if you went with slider weights, maybe 1 or 2mpg, if even that. Might be more noticeable on long freeway rides, but for around town, sliders will not be of any benefit to fuel efficiency.
:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup: I agree with DarkCutlass....... "NUTTIN HONEY!"

1 - 7 of 7 Posts