Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought it might be a good idea to share how I was able to fix my seat latch to actually stay latched :)

I've only had my 04 Burgman a month so I've been busy catching up the maintenance (fluid changes, valves, etc), when I noticed the seat didn't fully latch. I'd push down on the seat and it made a clicking sound (like it latched) but you could then pull on the rear of the seat and it would open. Not good if you want your under seat storage items to actually be locked up.

I did a pretty good search through the forums and didn't find much that helped so I snapped some pics to explain what I did to fix my latch. I usually don't fix things my bending something with vise-grips (and it's always a last resort) but in my case it work. Your mileage my vary :p

First pic shows the latch. I noticed the white plastic collar on the release cable has three slots that can be used to adjust the tension on the cable. In my case I needed more slack so the collar was already in position giving the least amount of tension/slack. After lubing and trying various other things I finally bent the gold metal tab that holds the release cable to give the cable just a bit more slick. This fixed my seat latch!
http://burgmanusa.com/forums/members/39290-tbb10785-albums-tbb10785-s-album-picture2529-seat-latch-1.html

This pic show the washers I added under the seat hook (goes into latch) to shim it out a bit. It looked like this piece needed to be pushed back a bit to engage the latch better.
http://burgmanusa.com/forums/members/39290-tbb10785-albums-tbb10785-s-album-picture2537-seat-latch-2.html

http://burgmanusa.com/forums/members/39290-tbb10785-albums-tbb10785-s-album-picture2545-seat-latch-3.html

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Good fix, pictures and write up! I learn something new everyday on this forum, like the three slotted adjuster collar.

For anyone in the group, Is that on the '06 and earlier models? I don't remember seeing it on my '07.

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
Interesting.....I wonder if the cable has been rerouted inadvertantly?
Usually cables stretch not shrink.

·
Premium Member
4,516 Posts
Thanks for posting such good pictures...
I've tried to describe this repair before.
From the factory, the cable comes
with the white collar in the middle slot.
To gain a no-pressure/no-clearance
adjustment to the brass collar on the end
of the cable, & the latch lever, I have made
the same 'forming' adjustment.
Remember...if it works,you formed it....
if it doesn't work, you bent it.......
For folks that want to install an
emergency release cable, take a close look
at the latch release stud that looks like
a slotted screw. That is NOT a screw.
The release cable fits into that slot,
& a plastic sleeve that looks like a piece
of a straw holds it into place.
Anyway...this pull-stud is where you attach
the loop on one end of a wire fishing leader,
before you route the other end down the
edge of the rear fender shield. You'll need
an 18 inch ( ideal ) 50 pound steel fishing leader.
A 24 inch is OK, without leaving too much slack.
On the bottom end, I installed a small split-ring,
as a pull-ring, like you put keys on.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Interesting.....I wonder if the cable has been rerouted inadvertantly?
Usually cables stretch not shrink.
Agreed, cables usually stretch (or rust) over time. I didn't notice during the valve adjustment and removal of bodywork that the cable was routed in an odd position. However to be honest I really wasn't looking for it either and I didn't notice the seat didn't latch & lock completely until most of the bodywork was installed.

The joy of "fixin" stuff that's been left undone from the previous owners :D. This is the price I must pay for being too cheap to purchase a new Burgman. I does give me something to do in the basement as I wait impatiently for spring!

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for posting such good pictures...
I've tried to describe this repair before.
From the factory, the cable comes
with the white collar in the middle slot.
To gain a no-pressure/no-clearance
adjustment to the brass collar on the end
of the cable, & the latch lever, I have made
the same 'forming' adjustment.
Remember...if it works,you formed it....
if it doesn't work, you bent it.......
For folks that want to install an
emergency release cable, take a close look
at the latch release stud that looks like
a slotted screw. That is NOT a screw.
The release cable fits into that slot,
& a plastic sleeve that looks like a piece
of a straw holds it into place.
Anyway...this pull-stud is where you attach
the loop on one end of a wire fishing leader,
before you route the other end down the
edge of the rear fender shield. You'll need
an 18 inch ( ideal ) 50 pound steel fishing leader.
A 24 inch is OK, without leaving too much slack.
On the bottom end, I installed a small split-ring,
as a pull-ring, like you put keys on.
Duster, your welcome on the pics. I'm reasonable handy with a digital camera or video recorder. Plus pics seem to help explain better than I can put things into words.

The like the "forming" vs "bending" depending on if it fixes the issues at hand :D

Thank you for reminding me to install and emergency release while I have the bodywork off. I'll try and post some pics of this too.

The Burgman is just one of my winter projects. I'm also working on my son's 50cc Eton scooter. Doing regular maintenance like valve adjustment ,etc then after the weather is better changing jets, variator & weights, CDI box trying to find a combination to get the scooter to hit 40mph. Lastly I have a 73 & 79 Honda CT90's "Trail 90's" that will be going up for sale this spring.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
A friend of mine had a Mini-Trail 90 when we were kids. That was the coolest machine ever!

·
Premium Member
4,516 Posts
The like the "forming" vs "bending" depending on if it fixes the issues at hand
The 'forming' & 'bending' were something I learned the hard way,
back when I was repairing typewriters & other office machines......
the training instructors would always remind us of the difference.

As for your emergency release cable,very carefully pop off
that plastic sleeve that looks like a piece of straw, on the
latch release lever, & you will be able to slip the release cable
out of the slot. Hook the end loop of the fishing leader over
the release lever, & re-install the release cable, & the plastic
sleeve. Your emergency release cable is now 'trapped' behind the
release cable, so it cannot fall off.
A gentle pull on the emergency release cable,& bingo!!!...your
seat latch is opened. Just glad that you took good pictures....

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Duster, your welcome on the pics. I'm reasonable handy with a digital camera or video recorder. Plus pics seem to help explain better than I can put things into words.

The like the "forming" vs "bending" depending on if it fixes the issues at hand :D

Thank you for reminding me to install and emergency release while I have the bodywork off. I'll try and post some pics of this too.

The Burgman is just one of my winter projects. I'm also working on my son's 50cc Eton scooter. Doing regular maintenance like valve adjustment ,etc then after the weather is better changing jets, variator & weights, CDI box trying to find a combination to get the scooter to hit 40mph. Lastly I have a 73 & 79 Honda CT90's "Trail 90's" that will be going up for sale this spring.
tbb10785
Please let us know how you make out on your son's Eton. I have one also and would very much like to get more speed out of it too.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Now, on my seat latch, I'm having the problem where the seat is pushing up on the latch. And to unlock the trunk I have to push down on the back of the seat to open it. Anything I can do about that?

·
Registered
1,468 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,516 Posts
Now, on my seat latch, I'm having the problem where the seat is pushing up on the latch. And to unlock the trunk I have to push down on the back of the seat to open it. Anything I can do about that?
Make sure that the latch assembly is clean & well lubed,
& the cable works freely...& be glad that your weather seal
around the storage bin under the seat is still doing its job.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Problem is the strut wants to lift the seat, and pushes up on the lock. The string is just fine. Don't know why the strut is doing this.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Here's my emergency seat release fix, just in case the cable would break, or I could get to the under seat storage without the key too.

I decided to use safety wire because it was staring at me from the top of my toolbox :D . I guess my roadracing days of safety wiring everything didn't completely go away. Next thing you know I'll be putting the burgman on the track!

I think the pictures tell the story of what I did for a quick and easy emergency release. Heck, I might just use it over the key.

Tool & wire
http://burgmanusa.com/forums/members/39290-tbb10785-albums-tbb10785-s-album-picture2593-emergency-seat-release-1.html

Attached wire to release post
http://burgmanusa.com/forums/members/39290-tbb10785-albums-tbb10785-s-album-picture2585-emergency-seat-release-2.html

Emergency pull loop
http://burgmanusa.com/forums/members/39290-tbb10785-albums-tbb10785-s-album-picture2577-emergency-seat-release-3.html

·
Registered
1,468 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
A friend of mine had a Mini-Trail 90 when we were kids. That was the coolest machine ever!
ChipDoc,

I agree the CT90's are really cool bikes/scooters. Light (about 200 lbs), automatic clutch, 8 speeds (high/low range), hit 50 mph on flat ground with me on them (175 lbs), and can go off road, and 90-100 MPG. I can actually pack one in the back of my Subaru Forester too! Click the link to see a picture of the packing job :D http://burgmanusa.com/forums/members/39290-tbb10785-albums-tbb10785-s-album-picture2601-1973-honda-ct-90-packed-back-my-2014-subaru-forester.html

The limitations are cargo/carrying space and passenger room, in my opinion. Oh should I forget that my wife thinks shifting gears is an issue. Funny story which kind of opened my eyes and help formulate my thoughts on the Burgman. Me- "but honey it has an automatic clutch" Wife-"but I have to shift gears", repeat this about 3 more times because sometimes I don't listen well. Anyway this conversation worked on my head and I realized how correct her words where. I don't my standard shift cars anymore either.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
I think it might be that when I redid the seat, there is a little extra fabric under that lip. I'll report back though.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Deleted the photo in my album and posting here. Honda CT90 "Trail 90" fits in the back of my Subaru Forester :p

·
Registered
13 Posts
I thought it might be a good idea to share how I was able to fix my seat latch to actually stay latched :)

I've only had my 04 Burgman a month so I've been busy catching up the maintenance (fluid changes, valves, etc), when I noticed the seat didn't fully latch. I'd push down on the seat and it made a clicking sound (like it latched) but you could then pull on the rear of the seat and it would open. Not good if you want your under seat storage items to actually be locked up.

I did a pretty good search through the forums and didn't find much that helped so I snapped some pics to explain what I did to fix my latch. I usually don't fix things my bending something with vise-grips (and it's always a last resort) but in my case it work. Your mileage my vary :p

First pic shows the latch. I noticed the white plastic collar on the release cable has three slots that can be used to adjust the tension on the cable. In my case I needed more slack so the collar was already in position giving the least amount of tension/slack. After lubing and trying various other things I finally bent the gold metal tab that holds the release cable to give the cable just a bit more slick. This fixed my seat latch!
http://burgmanusa.com/forums/members/39290-tbb10785-albums-tbb10785-s-album-picture2529-seat-latch-1.html

This pic show the washers I added under the seat hook (goes into latch) to shim it out a bit. It looked like this piece needed to be pushed back a bit to engage the latch better.
http://burgmanusa.com/forums/members/39290-tbb10785-albums-tbb10785-s-album-picture2537-seat-latch-2.html

http://burgmanusa.com/forums/members/39290-tbb10785-albums-tbb10785-s-album-picture2545-seat-latch-3.html
I just bought my 2003 Burgy 650 and my seat isn't latching at all. So, thanks for posting the pics. I'll give that a try! :)

Mike

1 - 20 of 20 Posts