Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The cable behind the key seems to be working but the seat will not open at all! Any ideas how to get it open to fix an alternate route.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Have you tried pushing down gently on the back of the seat while turning the key? Sometimes when my seat is overfull, so that the contents are pushing back up, mine's difficult to unlatch. If I just push down gently, then I can open it with no trouble.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, I tried pushing down on the seat. It is like the cable is not releasing the latch under the seat. The trunk is also empty. Any ideas?????

·
Super Moderator
8,076 Posts
If I stuff mine too full, or the latch is dry, something more that a gently push may be required.

I make a fist and hit hard on the top of the seat, towards the back, while gently turning the key. Once it's open, put a little lube on the latch. It may be binding.

I have to do this about once a month, you think I would learn.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
When I turn the key their is no click or any indication that the latch has been released. It seems that the cable is disconnected at the latch, broken? When you tug on the seat is is firmly latched and will move ever so slightly, just like it is firmly latched. Tried the banging on the seat, pressure while turning the key. Appears not to be released.

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Sounds like it's not shut all the way. Give it a good THUMP to make sure it's closed. If the seat isn't completely closed, the latch will not release. To keep from having the problem in the future, you could use this mod :

http://burgmanusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1364

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Also look at your key to see if it is slightly bent. The long key bends easily if you carry it in a back pocket and sit on it or something. Sometimes a slightly bent key will not trigger the trunk release.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Press down hard on the very end of the seat and turn the key at the same time. Get someone to help you if needed. If you still get no click - then it isn't going to open, and you'll have to take the bike apart to get into it (take it to the shop if you have a warranty).

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey Guys,

I pulled the dash and accessed the lock release. It is functional and so I then pulled on the cable more with needle nose pliers, thinking there might be slack. There is no resistant on the cable in the trunk. Obviously the cable is broken or disconnected. You can't take apart the fenders to access the trunk latch because the bolts are in the trunk. I hope you guys don't have this problem. I purchased this bike in '03 and it is out of warranty. I guess my only choice is to take it in to the Suzuki Shop.

·
Registered
611 Posts
I'll look at mine to search for an alternative and respond tonight if I can find one. Anyone have a suggestion?

·
Registered
4,517 Posts
In the How To forum, there is a description of how to access the seat latch without the key. It's for a 400, though. Anyone know if the 650's would be similar? Might be worth a read.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I appreciate all of the help and I did look at the How To Section on the 400. But, unfortunately, on the 650 you can't get the lens cover out until you remove the center frame cover. To get to those screws, it is in the trunk. We are leaving on a trip Tuesday, so I'll have to wait till we return to take it to the shop. I guess we will just live without the trunk.

·
Registered
639 Posts
My seat refuses to open quite regularly. Whether it's empty or full doesn't seem to make a difference. I just make fist and gently hit the top of the seat at the very end, above the latch. If the gentle hit doesn't work, I hit it again harder and that always opens the seat.

I have no idea why the seat won't mechanically open all the time, but at least I know the short term solution.

Works for me! 8)

·
Registered
31,101 Posts
I unscrewed the latch and attached a piece of wire toit, ran the wire around the side and tucked it under the seat where I can find it if I need to but it's not obvious. I've been going to do this for a while so thanks for the reminder.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well Guys the Burgman is at the Suzuki Shop. When I get the answer and hopefully not a tremendous repair bill, I will let you know.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Well, I'm late to see this.

After my two incidents locking the key in the trunk, I studied some things when I had it all apart to put on my Givi trunk.

I don't think there's any reason to take off the lens covers. Pop the bottom, rear plastic panel. Then, some small tool could be able to fit into the gap between the seat and the upper rear panel to pop the fasteners. Pry those out and remove that panel. Then, you'd have access to the release.

I'd try it, but with the Givi mount in place now, that would be a lot of work.

Greg

·
Registered
31,101 Posts
And, when you get it open, attach a piece of fine wire to the mechanism, lead it around the side and tuck it under the rubber gasket so you can get hold of it but it's not visible. You'll really appreciate having done that when the release cable breaks.

·
Registered
193 Posts
DAVID HERRIN said:
Well Guys the Burgman is at the Suzuki Shop. When I get the answer and hopefully not a tremendous repair bill, I will let you know.
As this is a potential problem for all 650's, what was the final outcome
with the Suzuki dealer. Hope the story has a happy ending!?
GinDrinker
:D

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Today I picked up the bike at the shop. Total Bill $250.00, it had a broken cable. Guys make the alternative wire so when this happens to you ( hope it doesn't ) you can order and repair yourself. My problem was I could not get the trunk open to repair. Glad to have the bike back.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts