Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2009 650 will not latch due to the mechanism halfway locked. Any ideas or suggestions on how to solve this would be greatly appreciated!

·
Premium Member
14,258 Posts
Have you tried turning the key like your opening the seat to trip the latch to the open position.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yes still wont work that way Buffalo. Do you think I can take the latch out and rework it that way?

·
Registered
486 Posts
Are the lock jaws fully open?

My B400 Chinese clone does this often. For some reason the lock latch springs before the bar is in there...and what you get is a lock that won't accept the bar-catch.

If it's not clear that the jaws are open...you can go in there with a key, and get it to latch. Then open the jaws like you were opening the seat, by turning the key...it should spring open. That will tell you the lock is working properly; and when you're done the seat may latch down.

DO NOT ride it any distance with the latch not working! The seat will be held up; and you may break the hard plastic of the seat frame. Instead of weight on the feet spread around the frame, it would all be on the hinge and on that rear latch, the seat held up a quarter-inch.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Mine doesn't latch regularly - I keep a screw driver in to open it - it's stiff.

I've ridden with it many times - the seat loop sits against the metal closer....it's solid.

I think it's just friction in the cable not letting it close. Too lazy to lub it. :rolleyes:

I would not use a key to flip it up. Key could break and they are bloody expensive Screwdriver works the charm to open the latch.

·
Premium Member
14,258 Posts
Like MacDoc says, stick a screwdriver in where the seat bar would go and lift up on the catch while you turn the key. It should spring open. If not unhook the cable from the latch and see if it opens. If it does the cable probably needs lubing. If it doesn't the latch may need lubing or repair.

The latch is easy to take out so you can unhook the cable. Just two bolts hold it on. You will need to remove the plastic cover over it to see the bolts. The plastic cover is just held on by two push pins.

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
Suggest Military 1 lube latch system with 100% spray silicone, this help free up, 100% silicone not greasy and not collect dirt.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
how much spring should you have in the spring that latches the seat down?
the spring is very loose between the latch if that is any indication of being worn and ready for replacement!

·
Premium Member
14,258 Posts
I can't remember ever noticing any looseness in the spring but then I've never specifically looked for any either.

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
how much spring should you have in the spring that latches the seat down?
the spring is very loose between the latch if that is any indication of being worn and ready for replacement!
Not remember ever read about such problem on BUSA in past.

·
Administrator
18,745 Posts
You had just had the ignition switch worked on and that controls the seat latch cable. I'd say they may have cocked something sideways when they had the lock set out.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
My seat has not locked on my 2008 400.since a large tree branch fell on it during one of the last few hurricanes.....!! Does not bother me in the least bit. And.have never had anything stolen. I would venture to guess that the only people who know that there is even underseat storage would be another scooter owner.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Mine doesn't latch regularly - I keep a screw driver in to open it - it's stiff.

I've ridden with it many times - the seat loop sits against the metal closer....it's solid.

I think it's just friction in the cable not letting it close. Too lazy to lub it. :rolleyes:

I would not use a key to flip it up. Key could break and they are bloody expensive Screwdriver works the charm to open the latch.
Ditto to the comments about riding with the seat non latched. Meaning that the seat latch 'pin' is sitting against the underlying latch 'catch'. I rode for several months on the AN650K7 as it would occur with increasing frequency that the latch would not release using the key which connects to an electric solenoid to the release cable releasing the latch. The cable at either end needed lubing, which I'd do with a WD40 equivalent at the latch end which would work for a period of time. Not a lot of easily found lube choices here in China. I just got lazy one day after finding that once again the latch wouldn't release using the key, and therefore had to revert to the remove the tunnel/engine inspection cover which also means removing my Givi tunnel bag (just an extra inconvenience). I used a screw driver to close the latching mechanism. Pretty simple logical method. Once the latch locked in, I simply closed the seat down against the latch and this worked for me and my situation. I've been meaning to install a quick release lanyard, but again, too lazy to get round-to-it.

Fast forward those several months, and I released the latch, lubed liberally with more WD40, and closed the seat locking into the latch as designed. Seat latches and releasing well for the past week or two. Need to replace the air ram on the seat, since the OEM has given up the ghost, though this is unrelated as it occurred prior to the latch/seat release problem.

·
Registered
426 Posts
My seat has not locked on my 2008 400.since a large tree branch fell on it during one of the last few hurricanes.....!! Does not bother me in the least bit. And.have never had anything stolen. I would venture to guess that the only people who know that there is even underseat storage would be another scooter owner.
Exactly my thoughts, after having my seat in the down position but not locked or latched. See my post above.

·
Premium Member
14,258 Posts
I had to do a little service work on the 650 today so I checked the spring on the seat release while I was out there. It is not loose at all. It has a little tension on it even when the latch is in the open position.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts