Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well it's been raining like forever here, so with 2,600 miles on the burgy it was a good time to really go over the scoot hope I'm not too windy.
Seat
Saturday I was in the garage for 11 hrs. working on all my vehicles. I decided to work on my seat (again). I installed a few layers of soft open cell foam over my gell pads, the gel pads work great for jarring bumps and vibration, but they are not soft. I installed about 3/4" thickover the whole seat and doubled it up on the front 1/2 on the driver and passinger and on the butt stop and passinger backrest. Test sitting seems to be a lot softer.If it ever stops raining, we will see how much better it works. I added pictures to my seat mods. http://burgmanusa.com/gallery/Seat-Mods?page=1
Front End
Sunday Morning I started on the front end wich still seemed to wobble a bit at high speed (70). Increasing the rear suspension helps but it still wasn't right. I found the steering head was about 1/4 turn too loose, snugged that, but there was still some left. I was going to take the front wheel off to chechk that out. Removed the pinch bolt then startetd on the axle. Well guess what It's supposed to be at 47 ft. lbs. and it was hand tight. I pulled the axle out and tried to drop the wheel (I did not take off the calipers because the bolts were too tight) I couldnt get it passed the fender. So checked out the the bearings with it in there, they seemed OK, but a little dry, so I added some bearing grease befroe re assembly. Trying to set the wheel back I couldn't because of the Brake pad clearance, so I removed the pads. Well that was really easy, 1 cover screw and 1 allen bolt, then they just slide down. Plenty of room to reinstall the wheel, Torqued the front axle and pinch bolt. Reinstalled the brake pads, again real easy. No more slop and the wheel turns free.

Changing the front brake pads should take no more than 1/2 hr. when they need replacing (good news).

Bottom Line, Check the front axle . Some of the instability some members are talking about may be related to this

·
Super Moderator
8,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
It finally stopped raining, and I went on a 20 mile run. The front end is much improved and less jarring on the bumps, feels like a different machine.

The seat upgrade is also an improvement, softer is better on top of the gel pads. Can't wait for a long trip to really test it out.

·
Registered
761 Posts
"Removed the pinch bolt then startetd on the axle. Well guess what It's supposed to be at 47 ft. lbs. and it was hand tight. "

Jim, how do you think it became that way? Do you think it loosened up over time or from your last visit to the mechanic?

Do you think that it might be common to Burgy's like the false odometer readings?

·
Super Moderator
8,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
All I can think of is it may have been missed or simply losened up. I don't recall it being mentioned in the 600 mile bolt check.
As for the speedo, that set to the transmission (rear wheel)
I guess it's a good thing sometimes it rains too much and one gets bored.

·
Super Moderator
8,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This maybe should be in Mods and Aftermarket, But

Well, we went 200 miles Sunday morning, It's defenatly better for me and my wife. Now we stop every hour or so for sight seeing, not a sore butt or back. The backrest I'm told, is also better, she can actually use it.
The butt rest is at or above my belt now and offer more lumbar support, (God I sound old). Anyway I took it to 3 Dealers and they thought it was better.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Jim said:
Bottom Line, Check the front axle . Some of the instability some members are talking about may be related to this
Jim:

Why cant the axel be torqued with the wheel in. Isnt the bolt the star fastener at the bottom of the forks? Or is that the actual axel?

·
Super Moderator
8,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It certanly can be, that is the axle itself.
I was taking the wheel off to check out the bearings when I noticed it lose.
Again it was raining and I was bored so, I started taking it apart anyway to see if there was anything else.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts