Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
as a life long nascar fan, i am familiar with a term called "seat time", what that means is a new driver inexperienced with stock cars usually starts out in a limited amount of races or drives in nascars lower divisions until he/she has learned the intricaces of handling a stock car....well i have had my an400 a little over 4 months and i am taking the msf course in 2 weeks, in the meantime i am cruising the back roads of georgia attemping to learn from my experiences....twisty roads,emergency stops,turns, and general handling of this beautiful machine, every time i go for a ride it's hard to conceal a big stupid grin through my full face helmet, watching the speed channel, american choppers,bike built off,etc.. and reading the monthly magazines it's hard not to lust for a larger bike like the an650 or a ridley or something else, but this to me is the perfect bike, i guess this probally isn't a interesting new topic, but hell i had to share with someone!, ...drive safe folks

·
Registered
925 Posts
Glad to hear you are enjoying your 400 so much :D Good luck to you during the MSF course. 8)

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks jd, as easy and enjoyable as this bike is to ride i have seen a bike made by honest charley the old parts manufactor that includes a flat head v8(ford), and i think with a suicide shift, for some reason they don't offer a warranty on their bikes either, kinda the anti-burgman, http://www.honestcharley.com i think is their website but i wouldn't have one if they gave it to me

·
Registered
925 Posts
Anti-Burgman... I don't like the sound of that. :(

·
Registered
925 Posts
That bike isn't too bad looking, but I wouldn't want one either.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Seems that the most common thing mentioned throughout, when talking about riding the Burgman, both the 400 and 650, is the grin it puts on your face. No doubt about it, life is good 8)

Gotta' chuckle at this part at the end of the description of that flathead V8 bike,
WARNING: Riding motorcycles is dangerous and can result in accident, injury or death. Flathead motorcycles are not suitable or intended for all riders and conditions. Operators/owners assume all liability for safe operation and suitability of purpose.

·
Registered
925 Posts
Going by the grin I get just looking at the Burgman, my face would probably explode if I owned one. I have rode one before, and it took weeks for the grin to wear off. :D <OK, maybe it hasn't gone away
yet :D :D :D

·
Premium Member
4,919 Posts
JD - you need to get a handle on that duka. :wink: I hope you get a burg real soon. I have felt that same "duka" whist I was without. (duka - ahem... a "pete-ism" (sorry! pls forgive). - definition..IMO, It's something you want, may very well not need, and is pounding at your mentals - along the lines of "stuff"). nuff with alla dat...but dammit sigh. you know im with you man...

OK. Now.

Ronniern - the 400 is like, (guessing this..) well, like a 16ga. vs a 12ga. (i have a 20ga.) sorry for the long link, but check this...
The best of all gauges

You have a nice ride dude. no doubt about it. I'd LOVE to have one. My first drive on a Honda 4 cylinder (woohoo - big deal!) was a 73(?) 750-4, but then, soon after that, my E5 shipmate gotta 350-4. Know what? I was just as pleased after ringing that one out, over the same San Juaquin valley farmland roads - that hour that night on the 350-4. **** near the same sound, similar thrust, and very familar feel.

My Lardy feels fat because it is. I can't wait to wrangle a 400.

pete

·
Registered
553 Posts
ronniern said:
, but this to me is the perfect bike, i guess this probally isn't a interesting new topic, but hell i had to share with someone!, ...drive safe folks
I agree 100 %. I also think the an400 is the perfect bike :wink: :lol:

·
Registered
496 Posts
Hey Jonesboro,

I know what you mean about seat time. I have only had my 400 for 3 weeks now and absolutely love it. The problem I find sometimes is that it is so comfortable and quiet that I don't realize how fast I am going. Sometimes I drift esp around the curves, not a good thing. I am still having the most difficulty in slow tight turns. I will take another safety course when my corbin seat comes in which will hopefully allow my feet to become more stable on the the ground.

Good-luck in your course. I may stop by to say Hi.

Evelyn

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
you will recognize me right away ,trying to burn up a honda's clutch,with a look of separation anxiety

·
Premium Member
4,919 Posts
Evelyn made my think about something (for a change 8).) The first "long ride" i took, when I was new to the Pie and her to me (like only 300 miles or so), was a situation that occured when I came percolating up (like a true asshat...) into a (relatively) fast, rising, left hand bend "sweeper" in the slow lane, with a speed limit of 55 on a divided highway overpass.....almost too late, I realized that I was going way too fast (like, uh, about 90 (cripes!)). I just kept drifting right and drifting right..... the gyroscopics were overwhelming my desire to change course....it was a bit scary. Thank goodness for engine braking! That "little" incident/occurance made me think twice about gathering a whole lot of speed...especially just for grins and giggles. Just thought I'd share. - Pete

·
Registered
496 Posts
Thanks for sharing moonpie. Trust me, I am not doing the curves that fast for the giggles, I just am not accostomed yet to the silent speed of the scoot. Not having to shift I have nothing to gage how fast I am going. However I am looking more frequently at the speedometer to slow down.

·
Premium Member
4,919 Posts
It was the first time that I could get onto a piece a asphalt that I thought I could "haul ass" on. And, by the end of that trip, I did. :!:

Evelyn, I am sorry to insinuate anything in the post above, and, I beg your pardon, and thanks for the thanks, but, I am sorry, (I know you'd didn't imply this in your reply)... I didn't mean to make it sound like you were not being a responsible rider, vs an asshat like me, that DOES do things for grins and giggles! :oops: ) ......I was just expounding about (i guess...) just how kooky these lil dynamos can get! But, all in all I know you caught my drift ('scuze the pun!)

Yup, be careful out there fellow burgermeister pilots (especially new ones!) These 400s and 650's can "lure" you into a weird state of, well...., peace, and if you are finding your "peace" at 80 sumpthin' mph, well, hopefully, you'll have yourself "setup" for the upcoming bend!

·
Registered
276 Posts
Ronnie

WARNING: Riding a Burgman is addictive and can result in the desire for more and more and more SEAT time. Svelte or Lardy's are not only suitable or intended for all riders, but strongly recommended by operators/owners who assume all responsibility for making this statement.

I have not experience seat time on a Svelte, not enough leg room.

Like all owners, I start smiling at the thought of taking my lardy out - Thanks NormanB for that appelation - cos like a wine, my bike gets better and better each ride.

I would say that even the top Nascar fellows get a little seat time each ride, because there is always something new to learn about around every corner.

Enjoy your riding.

Regards

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
ok..took the msf course at honda this past weekend, passed it and got my m/c license. after 3 days of shifting a overused 250cc nighthawk, i am glad to be home to my burgie 400, my joints ache all over ,never want to see another clutch

·
Registered
30,277 Posts
Congratulations on passing the MSF Ronnie. Now you'll really be racking up some (s)miles on the 400. :D

·
Registered
925 Posts
Congrats on passing the MSF course Ronnie :eek:ccasion7: :D

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
I thought the link to Honest Charley's bike was interesting. We complain that our 650s only get 45-50mpg, and with a 4 gallon tank have less than a 200mile range. Honest Charley recommends filling the chopper up every 100 miles. Nothing like saving the environment, eh?

As for fast turns and the centrifical effect... yea, it takes some getting used to. I was fortunate to progress from a 50cc moped to a 150 to a 250 and now to this 650 scooter. The only one I ever lost control of or spilled was the first one. That 50cc Yamahopper had some kick, and was vastly different from all the bicycles I'd ridden before. Each successive scooter was just a bigger version of that.

If your Suzuki is your first motorcycle of ANY type, then you've got to take some time to learn it. Zipping down the highway isn't the place. I suggest finding a large empty parking lot. The safety manual that came with my burgman has several "exercises" you can do in a parking lot. If it's your first bike, then you SHOULD go through them.

Be safe, because we like you.

Dave B.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts