Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm tall and am finding the seat support in the far back position is extremely uncomfortable, actually it's right where I want to sit. I'm going out to remove it now and try that for a while.

Question: Has anyone else had this issue or removed the backrest and found relief, more comfort for you taller guys? Gosh, I hate to dump money in a new seat, I've farkled up every bike I've owned and told myself I would just buy this and ride it...leave it alone.

I did search here and found the Utopia, not what I want as it utilizes the backrest and I need it gone, need more room. Saw the Corbin in the classifieds, too much $, almost full price and no guarantee it will work for me.

·
Premium Member
301 Posts
I'm tall and am finding the seat support in the far back position is extremely uncomfortable, actually it's right where I want to sit. I'm going out to remove it now and try that for a while.

Question: Has anyone else had this issue or removed the backrest and found relief, more comfort for you taller guys? Gosh, I hate to dump money in a new seat, I've farkled up every bike I've owned and told myself I would just buy this and ride it...leave it alone.
I have read a couple of those stories on this forum. To remove the backrest slide backrest as to adjust. There are two small holes you are looking to align with screws that you will remove to allow removal. NOTE they appear to be Phillips? I have no idea how they put them in so tight, if you've got a new bit use it. A ratchet, extension and bit holder for leverage. Once screws are out, release, slide forward and out

·
Registered
939 Posts

I did search here and found the Utopia, not what I want as it utilizes the backrest and I need it gone, need more room. Saw the Corbin in the classifieds, too much $, almost full price and no guarantee it will work for me.
I am only 5' 9" but I find the AN650 to be a bit on the snug side. I added a Corbin seat which, while it made the ride much more comfortable, seemed to steal additional leg room. Other after-market seats I've tried did the same thing, so don't go that route.

Pull out the butt rest by unscrewing the set screws under the seat. They're tight and strip easily, so use a JIS Phillips screwdriver if you have one. However, don't be surprised if you have to use a dremel to remove the heads to get them out of there. If the removal gives you adequate legroom but you're now sitting on an uncomfortable part of the seat, you could consider having the seat modified by someone like Mean City Cycles. That would be a lot cheaper than buying an aftermarket seat...which is unlikely to solve your problem, anyway.

·
Administrator
22,919 Posts
Japanese Industrial Standard (JIS) is an improved Phillips tip. A standard tip may strip the head out.

Reactions: SemBurg

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have read a couple of those stories on this forum. To remove the backrest slide backrest as to adjust. There are two small holes you are looking to align with screws that you will remove to allow removal. NOTE they appear to be Phillips? I have no idea how they put them in so tight, if you've got a new bit use it. A ratchet, extension and bit holder for leverage. Once screws are out, release, slide forward and out
Awesome, easy enough. Thank you. I just priced out a Corbin at $744 (before shipping and sales tax) Too rich for my blood.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am only 5' 9" but I find the AN650 to be a bit on the snug side. I added a Corbin seat which, while it made the ride much more comfortable, seemed to steal additional leg room. Other after-market seats I've tried did the same thing, so don't go that route.

Pull out the butt rest by unscrewing the set screws under the seat. They're tight and strip easily, so use a JIS Phillips screwdriver if you have one. However, don't be surprised if you have to use a dremel to remove the heads to get them out of there. If the removal gives you adequate legroom but you're now sitting on an uncomfortable part of the seat, you could consider having the seat modified by someone like Mean City Cycles. That would be a lot cheaper than buying an aftermarket seat...which is unlikely to solve your problem, anyway.
I appreciate your input, that was my concern that the part of the seat exposed would not provide adequate comfort. I've seen several Corbin's for sale and all state it does not provide adequate leg room.
(I'm already cramped with stock configuration) We'll see how this pans out. Thanks Dogboy.

·
Premium Member
4,552 Posts
I’d try it without the Butt Rest and see how it felt. You being in Florida I know there are many Marine/Automotive Upholstery Shops that will be able to help zero in on your Keister Comfort.

Also keep an eye out on EBay and our classified section …. look what some lucky fool got….

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I’d try it without the Butt Rest and see how it felt. You being in Florida I know there are many Marine/Automotive Upholstery Shops that will be able to help zero in on your Keister Comfort.

Also keep an eye out on EBay and our classified section …. look what some lucky fool got….

Thats a sweet deal, they are spendy. I had one on my ST1300 and my FJR, both transformed the bikes to pure joy.
(except the heat off the ST) 5'2" wouldn't work for me. I don't usually find the good deals like that, but I'm on the look out now. Do you have pics of it on the bike?

·
Premium Member
4,552 Posts
Thats a sweet deal, they are spendy. I had one on my ST1300 and my FJR, both transformed the bikes to pure joy.
(except the heat off the ST) 5'2" wouldn't work for me. I don't usually find the good deals like that, but I'm on the look out now. Do you have pics of it on the bike?
I got this off EBay for a 2006 Gray B650 at a great price … it’s the Tall version but won’t fit your bike:
Musical instrument Automotive design High heels Tints and shades Drum

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Oh, I thought you were the lucky winner of the RDL? Sharp, too fancy to sit on.

Yikes, I just peeked at the RDL site, new is out of reach o_O

·
Premium Member
4,552 Posts
Oh, I thought you were the lucky winner of the RDL? Sharp, too fancy to sit on.
Yes to the RDL …. but I got the Corbin for just a couple dollars more a couple years ago.

It works but I had to remove the front handlebar cover to set the bars back. In the mean time I got the Izuzu Back Rest and am anxious to try my stock seat with it … you might research the Izuzu Head Rest Mod for your needs.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I appreciate your input, that was my concern that the part of the seat exposed would not provide adequate comfort. I've seen several Corbin's for sale and all state it does not provide adequate leg room.
(I'm already cramped with stock configuration) We'll see how this pans out. Thanks Dogboy.
Leg room and prices of custom seats were issues for me as well. Myself and others on the forum added "highway pegs" to their 650's using varying bracket methods to attach. I went to a machine shop and had a couple of brackets fabricated and am mostly happy with the results as far has function goes. They don't improve the looks at all. Some folks used angle brackets mounted under the rubber floor mats, on top of the floor boards. I dremeled through the plastic under the floor boards and bolted to a support brace that made them sturdier and a little lower than what I had seen others do. Most of those post were pretty old, I can't even find my posts on the subject but here's a couple of pics.
Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting Trunk Bumper
Tire Wheel Hood Automotive tire Tread

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I admire your perseverance, certainly an option. Probably would not work for me being a hard leaner.
Thanks for sharing. (y)

·
Registered
939 Posts
Leg room and prices of custom seats were issues for me as well. Myself and others on the forum added "highway pegs" to their 650's using varying bracket methods to attach. I went to a machine shop and had a couple of brackets fabricated and am mostly happy with the results as far has function goes. They don't improve the looks at all. Some folks used angle brackets mounted under the rubber floor mats, on top of the floor boards. I dremeled through the plastic under the floor boards and bolted to a support brace that made them sturdier and a little lower than what I had seen others do. Most of those post were pretty old, I can't even find my posts on the subject but here's a couple of pics.
View attachment 99342 View attachment 99343
I put those same pegs on my wee Genuine Buddy 125 that I use around town. They made for a significant improvement to riding comfort.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts