Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My now 12 year old seat is just starting to split on the rider's seat area.

I see new, aftermarket seat covers on Ebay for around $150 AUS. Some of them advise you to use a pneumatic stapler and heat gun to install them, or to get them professionally installed.

I don't have a stapler of any kind, although I do have a heat gun. I think upholsterers want a fair amount of money - ~$120 (?) to do the job because it allegedly is quite time consuming and difficult? I know water has been getting through to the foam for some time, so that could more expense if a repairer fixes that.

So it could be $300 plus, and I'm wondering if I shouldn't just stick some clear, waterproof patches over the entire horizontal area that just the rider sits on. That would cost less than $40, and would essentially preserve the seat as it is now; and it would be very quick and easy. The seat as it is now is not bothering me at all, except when it gets waterlogged and stays wet after the rain has stopped. The splitting is minor now, but will spread soon.

What else do you do if you're not going to buy a Corbin or other quality complete aftermarket seat? I had one repairer so far quote $190 AUS to install a "good used cover", which I don't think I'll go for.

·
Registered
217 Posts
If you are only looking for a temp fix, not looks. I've used liquid tape. Sold here as paint on insulation for electric wires. It worked well on several dirt bike seats.

·
Registered
806 Posts
seat cushions

If you are only looking for a temp fix, not looks. I've used liquid tape. Sold here as paint on insulation for electric wires. It worked well on several dirt bike seats.
I would do the above and then buy an "Air Hawk 2" cushion to cover the ugly seat repair. Your tush will appreciate the improved feel!

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
This would be one option:

If you know someone coming to the states, I can send them one of the extras I have. I charge $40, free shipping. And then the bring it back to you in Australia. It would be a complete piece, so no glue, tape, or patches needed.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the thought, but those are the waterproof patches (also 1 piece strip) I was referring to in my initial post. They're on Ebay Australia. I'm thinking I'll just go ahead with that. It's not ideal or pretty. More like an emergency stop-gap. The cover is basically had it anyway, so it's not like I'm ruining it. When I can't stand it any longer, I'll take the more expensive step of replacement.:D

·
Registered
203 Posts
Keep watching the ads. There should be someone selling one reasonably. Lately seems to be quite a few being parted out, so it shouldn't be hard to find one.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
I think it's the whole Australia thing. By the time it gets there, he is heavily invested in it.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I bought the Tear-Aid repair for $37 AUS delivered. I just put it on yesterday. It's very inconspicuous. It's a transparent/stretch vinyl.

I covered almost all the horizontal rider's seat area, cutting the strips at an angle to match the shape of that panel, and then overlapped the strips like the instructions suggest. I got several small wrinkles in it - I could have gone a little slower and more carefully (yes, that's my style ;) )- but it almost looks like it is supposed to be that way from the factory. As long as it prevents further splitting of the cover underneath and keeps the water out (the 'patch' fabric is waterproof, airproof even) I'm basically in no hurry whatsoever to do anything more to the seat.

As long as the adhesive keeps everything in place long term as it is now, and so far it looks like it will, I reckon this is the best thing since sliced bread!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts