Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any one taken there seat off ?
any special items to look out for ?
I have not looked very close yet --does the elect have a plug .
T I A. :)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Seat Removal

I took my seat off. I first removed the 2 nuts on the support arm, closer mechanism and took that off. Then I removed the 2 horizontal hinge bolts. It is tight getting in there a bit. Have to use a box wrench. It helps to have someone hold it for you. I removed the plastics under the seats also. Very easy to do. You also have to undo the wire hook-up for the light. Simple.

Be careful putting it back that you don't drop a bolt into the engine compartment below. I did it twice. Lost one, they cost $5.00 each!

:)

Neil

·
Registered
793 Posts
my lost hinge bolt lodged between a body part and wiring.
cost me only five minutes and some choice swear words.

a closed end ratcheting box wrench is faster to get the bolts turned.
two hands on the loose bolts is now my rule.

no one said that you can't lay down a big fluffy towel or tarp
over the engine compartment to catch strays.

·
Premium Member
508 Posts
Just this weekend, we took the seats off both of our 400s to mess about with the "buttstop" and so forth. It's not difficult, just ... painstaking.

The toolkit that comes with the bike will have a socket wrench that's the right size to take the bolts off, but you're FAR better off using a ratchet wrench (metric, not English). You'll grow old using the wrench from the kit, as it can only turn about 1/8th of the way at a time unless you take off the surrounding plastic cowling.

Note: If you take off the cowling, watch those little black plastic fasteners! They're far harder to find inside your Burgman than the bolts, trust me. :roll:

An extra set of hands to help lift the seat off and back on again would probably make your experiment go more smoothly.

--Chris

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
To be honest I have tried both ways and I now prefer to leave the hinge bolts in. I take off the four nuts using a deep socket and ratchet wrench.

I do the job single handed without any problem at all.

To take off the seat takes a leisurely 10 minutes maximum.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts