Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know several of you have recovered the seat, so I suspect you've been through removing and re-installing it.

I removed my 650's seat today, since I will be having it re-upholstered next week:

1. Removed the battery to get better access to the front hinge and the connector for the trunk light.

2. Unplugged the trunk light wire connector.

3. Removed the two nuts that hold the pneumatic strut mounting plate to the seat.

4. Removed the two pivot bolts from the front seat hinge. This was the hard part. There wasn't enough room to get a socket on those bolts. Had to use an open end wrench - very tedious, and I had to support the fairly heavy seat with one arm & shoulder while I worked on getting each bolt out with the other hand.

I am concerned about getting the hinge bolts back in when I go to re-install the seat. I think it will be somewhat challenging to hold the seat in proper alignment while I get the bolts threaded.

Any tips? I could use a little advice on this.

Thanks,

·
Registered
135 Posts
i took the seat off to install the utopia backrest.... i just took off the 4 nuts that connected the hinge to the seat leaving the hinge on the bike. i never had to touch the battery i was able to reach the 4 nuts with a 1/4 drive rachet and 10 mm socket. also had to take off the 2 nuts holding the strut to the seat and the connector for the light. not very difficult at all really. putting it back on just set the 4 seat bolts back into the hinge holes and hold the seat with one arm while spinning on the nuts, dont forget to put the wire back through right for the light though.

·
Super Moderator
8,064 Posts
I took off the 4 nuts at the hinge bracket, However you dont need to take the nuts off the the strut bracket. There is a clip, you just pull it up, slide off the washer than the shock slides off. I would put the hinge bracket on the bike 1st. Doing it with the seat attached to it is almost a 2 person job.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks.

I initially thought about removing the four hinge bracket nuts instead of the pivot bolts. My problem was that I didn't have a socket deep enough to grip the nuts - the bolts stick out pretty far. Also it didn't look like I would have much working room to get at the two forward nuts (the lower ones when the seat is tilted up).

What kind of tool(s) did you use to remove those nuts?

I have a fairly limited tool box, but I wouldn't mind buying the right tool to do this job. I could easily remove the bracket with the seat off and reinstall the hinge on the scooter, if I had the right tool to tighten the bracket nuts when I reinstall the seat.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hmmm... I guess I'll go to Sears today and see what I can find. My open end/ box end wrench set is an old cheapo set, and my ratchet set isn't much better. Time to upgrade anyway. We also have a Harbour Tools outlet not far from where I live - but I want to get good quality stuff this time around. As far as I know Craftsman tools are still quite good - I'm not sure what Harbour Tools has for brands, but I may give them a look too before I go to Sears.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I ended up buying a bunch of Craftsman tools at Sears today. I looked at the sad collection of tools in my old tool box first, and decided that it was time to start from scratch. I now have a new toolbox with sliding drawers full of shiny new tools. I had no trouble removing the hinge plate from the seat with the new deeper sockets I bought.

It turns out that I'm not a bad "wrench" - I just had bad wrenches. :)
Maybe I should order those service manuals for the Burgman AN650 and V-Strom DL1000 now. New tools are a terrible thing to waste. :?

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
pauljo said:
Maybe I should order those service manuals for the Burgman AN650 and V-Strom DL1000 now. New tools are a terrible thing to waste. :?
Just make sure you service them One at a time so you dont get the parts mixed up :lol: Oh ya and that large drawer in the bottom of the box is for the parts you have left over :roll:

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
allwalk said:
Just make sure you service them One at a time so you dont get the parts mixed up :lol:
Imagine a 100 hp 1000cc Burgman and a 55 hp 650cc V-Strom. :roll:
Oh yeah, Suzuki already did the 650cc V-Strom thing this year... And it turned out good too.

Geez, I feel like taking something apart. Maybe I'll drop that big V-Strom V-Twin into the snowblower... :twisted:

·
Registered
220 Posts
removing seat

I'm missing something here. Why are you all taking the seat off?

I read the post about recovering the seat. But the bike's so new, why would the seat need recovering?

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Re: removing seat

Ted White said:
I'm missing something here. Why are you all taking the seat off?

I read the post about recovering the seat. But the bike's so new, why would the seat need recovering?
Ted,

I am long legged, 6'6" tall. I removed the adjustable backrest to get a couple inches more leg room - really made it a lot more comfortable for me. A couple other of our tall members have done this too. But that leaves two holes were the rods from the backrest went into the seat, and there is a big goofy looking plastic grommet around each hole. I got tired of looking at that, and I also thought a two tone seat would look nicer. So I'm having it done with dark blue on top and slate grey along the sides.

Another fellow customized his machine recently - there are pictures in the gallery. He did flames on the bodywork and re-upholstered his seat to match. When I saw how his seat came out, I knew it was time to do mine.

It's not due to deterioration of the stock seat covering, if that's what you were thinking.

·
Registered
8 Posts
We have a man locally who will take off the seat and remove all the staples. Then he shaves the foam, adds high-density foam, and custom fits it to your body.

This usually takes off 1-2 inches off the seat height. And he only charges between $50-100 dollars.

If you have someone local, that might be the way to do it.

Good luck,
Melody :)

·
Premium Member
678 Posts
I just finished mine and added a heated pad to it as well as changing out the foam. I plan on posting everything to the Knowledgebase soon. It is much better, as noted to take the four nuts off. You do have to be careful not to pinch the light wire when you reinstall the seat. I used four layers of foam starting with a very high density, got softer, and ended with a thin foam cover to smooth it all out. It looks good but I'll have to ride it to see if I'm satisfied. After setting on it for a while this afternoon to see how it sit I'm not too sure but I think I built it up too much. It is nice and soft and gives plenty of cushion but with the high back-end of Burgman I should have remembered to made more of a sloping saddle. Here are a couple of pictures. Some sets have been left out to save space. All pictures will be included in the final product. Gene

Attachments

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hi Thanks for the post of your seat mod. Can you please tell me what the heated pad is from and some specs of the current etc.

Regards Neil

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
Re:

Jim said:
I took off the 4 nuts at the hinge bracket, However you dont need to take the nuts off the the strut bracket. There is a clip, you just pull it up, slide off the washer than the shock slides off.
Same way I do it. Pull the clip out on the seat end, use a small magnet (pocket screwdriver with magnet) to take the washer off without dropping it, swing the seat all the way up, use a 1/4" ratchet with a 10 mm deep socket to first take off the two forward (ones at the bottom as you hold the seat up) most nuts, then take the last two off (I use my head against the inside of the seat and a hand around in front), wiggle the seat off the bracket, lean the seat forward against the handle bars, and finally fish the trunk light wire/connector out and unplug it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts