Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever used a heat gun to bend the seat pan? Or any other method?

Reason for this question is that I've found that I like the extra bit of space for my butt when the backrest is removed from my 400. However, this puts the butt up against that sloping part of the seat that has no padding.

If possible, I'd like to bend that sloping part so that it curves back for more fit, and add some padding.

Now, if only I had a sister like Betty Boop that does such nice seat cover and foam work!

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
I think you would do better to make something and then find a auto seat cover guy.
To late to hope for a sister I guess :lol:

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Randy, my Mom will be 95 in Jan and still lives by herself. Hard to tell what shes up to! Couse, that tells you something about my age too. :lol: One the the other two 400 riders I ride with has dubbed us the "over 70 club". Since I'm a month shy, he said I'm on probation. We rode 235 miles yesterday. Lotta talking, eating, etc. Get a lot of questions from folks...always "how fast will it go"....I was telling one guy I had seen it on an indicated 93, and one of my buddies piped up and said "was that when I passed you?"

If there are other riders in the Triad area of N.C. that want to join us on our wednesday rides, let me know.

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Ted,

You'd probably be much better off recontouring the seat by adding foam and having the seat recovered. I just tried the 400 without the backrest a few weeks ago and ran into the same problem with me legs being more comfortable but the seat hurting my lower back. One solution I am considering is having the butt stop foam shaved down and recovered. I'll still have some extra legroom, the support of the butt stop, the adjustability if a shorter rider wants to ride the 400, and it shouldn't cost as much for the change either.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Good ideas from all. Something to chew on and plan for a winter time Job.

With my back rest off and a inflatable pad I find it pretty comfortable for my tail bone, with some extra padding temporarily attached to the "slope" . But then my back muscles start getting tired after awhile. I think with some of the existing seat foam sanded out towards the rear to make more of a saddle shape, the backrest cut down some, and a bit of padding for the "slope" will work ok. Thats my current thinking.

Thanks all for the ideas.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
For what it's worth I received an email from Corbin, the 400 seat should be ready in a month, but that's what they said last month.

I still am trying to decide if I want one. :?

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Randy said:
For what it's worth I received an email from Corbin, the 400 seat should be ready in a month, but that's what they said last month.

I still am trying to decide if I want one. :?
Oh I know know I want one. The question is do I eat for that month or get the Corbin seat? :lol:

·
Premium Member
3,008 Posts
Ted, my riding buddy did something similar to Jim with the butt rest on his 400. Cut the lower section off the metal frame, removed some foam, and put the original cover back on. I am going to do that on my next bike. I am also going to try raising it a couple of inches.

·
Registered
11 Posts
ted clement said:
Has anyone ever used a heat gun to bend the seat pan? Or any other method?

Reason for this question is that I've found that I like the extra bit of space for my butt when the backrest is removed from my 400. However, this puts the butt up against that sloping part of the seat that has no padding.

If possible, I'd like to bend that sloping part so that it curves back for more fit, and add some padding.

Now, if only I had a sister like Betty Boop that does such nice seat cover and foam work!
You could always write my sister and ask her. I bet she could build a different back rest for you. she can add foam just as good as she took my away. She can build the foam up so you sit higher if you like. She could recover the seat and add foam where there is no foam. Worth an email I guess. if you would like to talk to her about your seat Her email address is [email protected]
Betty "SCQQTN"

1 - 11 of 11 Posts