Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really have enjoyed riding and caring for my new 2006 Burgman but..... I rarely can access the storage under the seat. Because this is 6 years old, I wonder if the key teeth may have worn down as I have a real difficult time getting in. Could be a real problem when my helmet is stored there and I can get it out. I have spray a very light mist of Graphite Spray into the key hole and greased the latch at the rear.

1. Does anyone have any further suggestions for access to the storage.
2. I have read that you could install a quick release which I assume is some sort of a string or nylon line-if so are there instructions for this anywhere.

thanks in advance.......

·
Premium Member
14,278 Posts
You may need to lube the cable that connects the ignition switch to the latch. You can use standard cable lube like you use to lube the throttle cables.

Past that, press down hard on the back of the seat when you turn the key. This will sometimes get it to open if it is reluctant.

·
Premium Member
14,278 Posts
To get to the front of it you are going to have to remove the front leg shield. It connects to the back of ignition switch. To get to the back of it you are going to have to remover the cover over the seat latch. It attaches to the back side of the latch.

Yes I have a release on mine. I don't know if there are specific instructions for the 06 400 anywhere on the site. It's pretty simple to install one though. If you remove the cover over the seat latch you can see how the cable attaches to it. Turn the key while you watch the latch and you can see how the cable pulls it. The release is just a piece of wire wrapped around the seat latch where the cable attaches then threaded down through the bodywork so it hangs out the bottom somewhere. When you pull on the wire it will pull the seat latch just like the cable does and open it.

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
The easiest way to get into a trunk when there is back pressure on it (ie. helmet slightly too big) is to simply push down before and while you turn the key. The trunk is famous for appearing to be broke/locked when it is just too much pressure on the latch for the cable to over-come. Just a heads up in case that is what is going on in your case. I would hate for you to take it all apart and find you just had to push down a little. This happens to me every time I pick up a 20 lb bag of dog food and put it under my seat in the trunk. :wink:
PS- you can release it from behind the back panel over the tail light with a long screwdriver if needed.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
After a quick look inside the storage compartment, it doesn't appear to have a panel at the rear to remove. Maybe it might be best just to keep that "long screw driver" in the glove box.

cheers....

·
Premium Member
4,015 Posts
Ken open the glove box door and look up under the center for this pin. The panel will than pull off. To isolate your problem check the latch to be sure it works right at the rear. You can open and close the latch while he seat is up. A lanyard attached where the cable attaches will pull to the right side of your 400. A lot easier than replacing the cable.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
902 Posts
Do you have the original key(s), or copies?

I know when I bought mine, there were only copy keys with it, which were very difficult to operate the trunk release with.

I added a "pull string" release on the rear catch, which I routed and tied to the lowside Passenger grip. So I pull the string, catch releases. Not exactly what you'd call secure, but it served me until I replaced the lock kit and got proper keys (expensive, but eradicated the problem).

I only had to remove the black plastic cover for the latch (Four nylon rivets) for access, and used some Denim repair thread to make the "pull". It's really simple.
I don't have any pics, but could easily make a "how to", if you think it would help.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I wasn't able to make a quick release as my first attempt was to use WD-40 on the rear locking mechanism. I also applied heavy lubricant to the locking bar. It seems to have worked as I am able to get in now-fingers crossed! Hope it lasts. Thanks for all the suggestions.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts