Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok. So I finally took the time to take every last piece of plastic off this bike to do some maintenance. I ran the seat latch cable and it seems ok. But, now the latch itself won't lock. I never had a problem with that part untill now. It will close and then not stay closed. Doesn't look bent or anything. It's not the tension of the cable because it won't stay locked even without the cable. Is there a way to take the latch apart and fix it? Looks like it's just stamped together. I had this problem on the glovebox and just took it apart and put it back together and it worked beautifully. Do I need to just stop being cheap and buy a new latch? Thanks.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
It's an 03, it's done its duty. Time to replace I would think.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is there a real name for this part? Reason I'm asking is maybe there's a more heavy duty one I could replace it with. Looks like it's the exact same as the 650? Saw some on eBay pretty cheap.

·
Premium Member
14,258 Posts
Look carefully to see if the arm in the latch mechanism that closes over the loop on the seat is already in the closed position. You should have a clear channel all the way to the bottom of the cutout that the loop fits into. If an arm is across it then the latch is in the closed position. If it is stick a screwdriver into the hole under the arm where the loop would be when the seat is closed. Lift up on it while you pull the release and it should pop open.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No, that's not what's going on. It will close around it, but not STAY closed. It just releases no matter what. Whether or not the cable is attached or not. Is there any way to fix this? Because I can see to get the support strut off. I need something to keep it closed.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, my dad being who he is decided to fix it. Looks like the tab where the cable connects had to be bent inwards. That and I took a tip I read online here about putting washers behind the latch connected to the seat to move it forward. Between the two, it's working great now.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts