Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

seat latch

2K views 7 replies 8 participants last post by  Selias 
#1 ·
has anyone had a problem getting the key to unlatch the seat if so what was the fix just bought it used it is a 2003 400 its my frist bike the hubby has a crusier and a 1958 vespa

#3 ·
Yep. I ususally have a problem when I overrload the trunk and the lid isn't closed correctly. A good 'thump' on the back of the seat above the latch is usually enough to let the key work. A good indication the seat is not closed is you won't hear the click of the latch when turning the key. Another good idea is to add the "picture wire release" described in this thread :

http://burgmanusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1035

#5 ·
I had the same exact problem 5 months ago. I took it to my dealer for my 600 mile service. They spent a considerable amount of time trying to figure it out. There observation was that the latch opened every time with out my helmet in the rear position. However with my helmet in the rear position 9 times out of 10 it would not open! It seemed that my helmet was a few millimeters too tall. The solution was to press at the rear of the seat when I turned the key. That is what I had to do. What was odd is I only had to do that for a few more weeks and then the problem went away and has never returned. I think it was the padding at the bottom of my helmet probably compessed just enough.

#6 ·
I too have had this problem, mostly when the trunk's a bit too full. Instead of punching the latch, however, I find that just leaning or sitting on the seat helps relieve the pressure on the latch, without damaging my hand. :wink:

#7 ·
I have this problem nearly every time I ride my 400S. Doesn't occur when I've been sitting on/riding it, but when I go back out after stowing gloves and helmet. Not always, but most times. I've also found that just pushing down on the seat, sometimes while stretching forward and pushing in/turning the key will get it to pop open.

BTW, I noticed an item in the manual that suggests pushing down on the seat latch if it doesn't open, so this is a known problem to Suzuki. :roll:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.