Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those that have tried both, which of the following cushions did you like the best. The gel cushion with the black sheepskin cover or the Air Hawk.

·
Registered
770 Posts
I have an Airhawk 2 and love it.

Never used a gel pad, though my wife has. She likes it, but reports it can get BLAZING hot if parked in the sun.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
I haven't tried a sheepskin so I can't comment on that. On long rides I use an Airhawk, beads and the stock seat and I rotate when I stop for fuel. I've tried gel pads and as Jarlaxle said they get hot in the sun and offer no ventilation under your butt. Not good for me in Florida. When just riding around town I use the beads.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Okay, I get the idea of the Airhawk, the air cushion make sense. And I understand the stock seat. I just keep shifting in my cushy couch when I think of beads under my butt bones. What am I missing? Do you get comfort from the beads or just shift around enough to keep you from getting sore spots? Or, are they really comfortable? I had beads for about an hour in my car. Couldn't stand them. Are they different on the bike?

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
I have beads for my Burgman, they are no better, or worse then the stock seat alone. Waste of money for ME.

·
Registered
765 Posts
I use this. For me ... Better than the Airhawk and gel pads with or without sheepskin... Although I do like sheepskin. It's not styling ... But very comfortable and inexpensive. $25 bucks or so from SamsClub. YMMV.

·
Registered
347 Posts
I am busy trying to find out which breed of sheep makes the best butt pad and who is using those pelts to make it. Does a person go long hair or sheared? To me price is not a consideration if it can give me a few more hours on the lardy. I have read on other threads about sheep skin and Alaska Leathers seems to come up the most. I am going to call them .

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Don beads aren't for everyone, in fact I'm using a set of beads that a kind sole from this forum(thanks Dave) gave me free because he hated them. They work great for me, they keep my seat from getting burning hot from the Florida sun and they let airflow under my butt when I'm riding. I can ride up to two hours sitting on them. Then I switch to my Airhawk or the stock seat. The beads stay on my seat most of the time. I have them held in place with two zip ties to my backrest and when I ride on the bare seat I just flip them over the backrest.
Mike you are an example of what I'm saying, beads aren't for everyone. :p
sirkitrider-2 have you tried an Airhawk and/or a sheepskin? I've never tried a sheepskin but I'd like to try one, the Airhawk lets airflow under my butt and you do need to experiment to get the right amount of air in it. Just like the beads I can ride for about two hours with the Airhawk then I have to switch to the beads or the stock seat. The gel-seat cushion in your picture is like the one I have and it's just too hot for my butt, it doesn't let air circulate under me when riding and it gets vary hot if I leave it on the seat when I get off my scooter.(again the Florida sun gets hot) The Airhawk also gets too hot if I leave it on when I get off so I have to remember to put it in the top box or under the seat when I get off the scooter.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Airhawk. From the reviews I've read and my personal experience, it's the best. Adds many hours of comfortable riding to my day.

It's cheap enough to try. If you don't like it, return or sell it.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
I've used beads, gel pad and, and Airhawk and, for me it's the latter all the way. I've done 500 mile days without and with it and, it helps a great deal.

Sore butt is from reduced blood flow for a period of time (ischemia, in medical jargon), caused by tissues being squeezed between the seat and bone. With the Airhawk, you want to inflate it until your butt just touches the seat, most evenly distributing the weight and removing the pressure points. Less air results in increased pressure to those areas touching the seat and, more air gives a mushy, insecure feeling.

Beads result in a bunch of smaller pressure points which, with a little shifting around also move, restoring blood flow to some areas and reducing it to others.

·
Registered
765 Posts
sirkitrider-2 have you tried an Airhawk and/or a sheepskin? .
Yes- I did 500 miles on the Airhawk R. Proper inflation achieved. The two things I didn't like about. 1- hurt my man berries. I know doesn't sound right, but it always pushed a air pocket into the boys:( 2- the Airhawk was ok on straight roads but on twisties/curves/swipers, my butt rocked/wiggled around which hurt my lower back. Sent it back for a refund.

Yes - I have the Alaska Sheepskin. I loved it. Works great by itself but, it doesn't offer these much cushion. Most of the time I put some type of cushion under it to give me more support.

Now- that cushion pictured ... I been using since last September. I've done 440 miles in a day on it. It's great... For me. It does raise me up on the seat quite a bit. But the trade off is I can ride all day long and not even think about my butt hurting. It's the very best thing Ive tried and I've tried most every product out there. It doesn't look very grooveee but I don't care if it does what I need it to do. As far as temperatures... I put in on at the beginning of fall. It gets a little cool, but my big butt heats it up pretty quickly:). I haven't ridden in any heat much over 70 so I may have issues this summer? If so, I can just put the sheepskin over it ... And should be fine. Someday I want RDL seat, but $$$ makes it a distant dream. Sirkitrider

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Sirkitrider I definitely understand the $$$ for a custom seat problem. I thought I got lucky when I found a good deal on a used Corbin seat. I never asked about the way the Corbin was ordered new and after I put it on my scooter I found out it was more forward and lower than the stock seat. Both of which were opposite of what I needed. I was lucky that a friend fit the seat perfect so he bought it from me and is real happy with it. I hope someday I can find a used one that fits me or I find a way to afford a new one.
Airhawk has come out with a new design that has a cut out the center at the front just for the problem you described. I haven't seen one in person so I can't say if it works right or not. Usually when it wiggles around it's too full but it sounds like you knew that and didn't overfill it.
The only way so many different companies making/selling so many different seat options stay in business is because we all have different butts. It's a good thing we have so many options because I have yet to see one that everyone likes.
I have ridden over 2,000 miles in a long four day weekend before I had any seat cushions at all so I know I could get by without one. But now that I have so many to choose from it makes long rides a lot more pleasant changing every 200 miles.

·
Registered
345 Posts
I also have the bead buddy, and the recent 4000 mile/ 10 day ride I took it on the 400, it didn't deliver much to increase rider comfort for me, except to keep the seat cool in the summertime.

I like sirkitrider-2 suggestion re: sam's /costco office chair pad. I'm on the lookout for one now.

·
Registered
753 Posts
I have beads for my Burgman, they are no better, or worse then the stock seat alone. Waste of money for ME.

Yeah. Me too. Pity as they were given to me by someone who they did not work for either.

But since I bought me a Russell Day Long I need nothing else. Yippee!

·
Registered
53 Posts
I have used the bead seat cover, and found the only advantage to be in hot weather, beats sitting on the hot stock seat, allows air to flow between you and the seat. I have never tried the airhawk, and use a sheep skin covered gel seat pad that works for me, have used it on my last 3 bikes, learned to lock it up when parked when my first one was stolen while I stopped at a store for 10 minuets.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts