Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I called one of my buddies last night to see if his girlfriend wanted to go for a ride today. She had just passed the Motorcycle Safety Foundation Beginners Class, but is feeling a bit nervous. I thought that since I am a less aggressive rider than my buddy, she might feel more comfortable taking his ZRX1100 out with me, rather than him. (Yes, I know, VERY wrong bike.) Anyway, she was away at the beach for the weekend, but he wanted to go for a ride with me. I thought about options and settled on a trip to the Snappy Lunch. I told him that I’d swing by his place at 9:00. After mapping a twisty route out on my Garmin MapSource program, I realized that the 165 miles from Raleigh, NC to the Snappy Lunch in Mt. Airy would take about 4 hours; I called him back and revised the time to 8:00, just to make sure we’d get there in time to eat.

Mt. Airy is the home town of Andy Griffith. Much of the fictional Mayberry, NC derived from Andy’s childhood memories. The Snappy Lunch was mentioned on The Andy Griffith Show, and Andy actually use to eat there as a young’un. We got to Mt. Airy around noon and there was already a line out the door with folks ready for a taste of the restaurant’s signature pork chop sandwich. A lot of famous people, including Oprah Winfrey, have eaten this treat topped with chili, coleslaw, and a slice of tomato.

After lunch we rode to Pilot Mountain. This is geological wonder looks like a scene from “Close Encounters of the Third Kind.” It’s a large quartzite monadnock, with shear rock walls capped by a lush forest on top. It stands 1,400 feet above the flat land surrounding it. We rode switchbacks almost to the top, and took a short walk the rest of the way to the observation areas. I can not do the view justice in words, but there was a lot of it. It was quiet up there, and we could look down on birds of prey circling the rhododendron blanketed forest below. The ride back to Raleigh from Pilot Mountain took us through rolling fields on swift sweepers. All of the colors were slightly charged in a crisp light, almost like fall for some reason. I’ve got plans for tomorrow and will not be able to join my gang for our usual Sunday morning ride, but after today, I don’t think that will be necessary.

·
Premium Member
1,402 Posts
Sounds like a nice ride.
A memory that will last a lifetime. :)

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
We always drive past Mt. Airy on our way to visit my Dad in Raleigh. Have enjoyed those Pork Chop sandwiches.

The sight of Pilot mountain is breathtaking. I've never had time to explore, but it sounds great. I can imagine what the view must be like.

Sounds like you had a great ride.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts