Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
857 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I used to have a decent idea of how many members were in Arizona, and could scan the member list to identify them. Now I just looked - 1400+ members (I think)! And when you sort by location, it lists city first which is of little help.

I know it can be difficult to change a database after it is setup, but is there anyway to allow a sort by state and/or country? Or search member listings by state?

Thanks!

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
No way that I can come up with or else I'd be using it. The search feature doesn't work on the member list. Another problem is the location field is 'free-form entry'. The state may not be listed (they may use only country, other descriptive text, or no text at all) or if the state is listed, it may be input in one of several ways (i.e. TN, Tenn, Tennessee or just spelled incorrectly).

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Flint,

One of the suggestions we've had in the past is for a online 'user map' that allows users to place a 'push pin' on their location. I've looked at several solutions but have yet to find one that will work with the software the forum is using. Most of the ones I've looked at are tied to a specific forum product. I'll keep looking and let Bryan know if I find one that'll work well here on the BurgmanUSA forums.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
It would be work, but could the Profile pages be changed to let the user pick his/her state off a list? Once you have the state info isolated, making a map or sorted list by state becomes easy. You can always let the state setting be optional, so those wishing to stay lost can do so.

The map idea sounds like a great one. If you had zip codes from members, each pin could be located more specifically, and anyone clicking on a state could see an enlarged state view with those more specific pins. Then clicking on a pin would pop up that member's profile.

Dave B.

·
Registered
201 Posts
billmeek said:
Flint,

One of the suggestions we've had in the past is for a online 'user map' that allows users to place a 'push pin' on their location. I've looked at several solutions but have yet to find one that will work with the software the forum is using. Most of the ones I've looked at are tied to a specific forum product. I'll keep looking and let Bryan know if I find one that'll work well here on the BurgmanUSA forums.

Maybe this could be an idea. I'm also a member of this forum.

http://www.siriusbackstage.com/forum/vi ... 42&start=0

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Thanks for the link PRico02. That map is manually done <ugh> via Microsoft Streets and Trips. It'd have to be generated on a Windows machine and uploaded when new members are added. I'm hoping to find a solution that can run on FreeBSD or off of PHP and is automated so that it will not require interaction (other than user putting in their info). I'll look at doing something simular later if I can't find a freestanding solution. I have a big project I'm working on right now that's taking most of my free time.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts