Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My first mishap happened with the burgy this past week. I parked and rested the bike on the side stand. The side stand was not down fully or the bike rolled just enough , that the bike soon hit the ground. The mirror landed on some auto ramps, shattering the mirror and breaking the plastic. I'd rather dry shave with a dull razor than see it on the ground. Replacement mirror was $70. Guess it was a cheap lesson.

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Sucks anyways but at least its fixable and not really that expensive. I always apply the parking brake when using the sidestand. If you havent fixed or purchased the parts yet , I noticed a guy on ebay has several bikes as parts. Maybe you can get it a bit cheaper from him.

·
Registered
857 Posts
I was tired last thursday, drove home from work safely, and pulled into my garage. Put both feet down, and proceeded to take my gloves, sunglasses, and helmet off. As I got off my bike, it tipped to the left and onto the left floorboard, since I had forgotten to put the side stand down! UGHHHH.

Now what is the first thing that any grown man does? Why quickly shut the garage door before anyone sees how stupid you are, of course!!!!

Then I took my jacket and mesh pants off, and determined how best to lift it back onto its wheels. Amazing that it didn't fall to the right into the garage wall, probably denting or bending the mirror, or perhaps just folding it in, i'm not sure (and don't want to find out!).

It was a breeze to lift onto its wheels. Much easier than I thought it would be. I grabbed the left rear handle and the left handle bar and lifted gently. Piece of cake.

The only damage is a small scrape along the side of the floorboard. I think a few others have mentioned that this is the farthest it would fall, and I'm glad it is true, at least for the 650 model. Not sure about the 400.

I feel so stupid, and am very glad I was not on a slope where it would have fallen "downhill" a bit, ad I'm sure it would have tipped over even more, and I'd have been in big trouble.

Now I need to find those posts about touch-up paint!

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Flint,

I did the same thing a few years ago with my Honda 1100 Shadow motorcycle. Only it fell all the way over. And I was out in the open, so I had no garage door to hide my foolish mistake... In that case, the proper technique is to look slowly around in every direction to determine if anyone saw - then pick up the bike.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Don't feel to bad, I did the same thing at a gas station ! I pulled in an must have left my brain out in the street. :(
1200 cc bike on it's side---such a sad site but at least there was a lot of help to get it up. :oops:

·
Registered
498 Posts
Honda's x11 is not renowned for it's U-turn ability as the size of the massive tank means that the handle bars can barely turn from centre. I was determined never to drop it on a U-turn - and to this day I have successed. However, a mere 4 weeks into ownership, I turned into a pertol station, and found myself tumbling to the ground infront of the attendant, and not knowing why. I can't recollect the standard US gasoline stand now, but over here they have a small moat around the floor entrance that is about the same depth and width of a motorcycles front tyre. Supposedly it stops spilt gasoline form flowing freely into the road - it also traps motorcycle front tyres quite well too... I looked down to find that I was wedged in. And I had been seen by the attendent, his colleague, and a few other customers. They had to get a wedge to put in front of the front tyre so that I could drive the front tyre out of the moat as I was decidely stuck.

Can their be any greater definition of shame?

·
Registered
308 Posts
lycheed said:
Honda's x11 is not renowned for it's U-turn ability as the size of the massive tank means that the handle bars can barely turn from centre. I was determined never to drop it on a U-turn - and to this day I have successed. However, a mere 4 weeks into ownership, I turned into a pertol station, and found myself tumbling to the ground infront of the attendant, and not knowing why.

Can their be any greater definition of shame?
I asssume the bike was still standing up while you fell?

·
Registered
498 Posts
Sadly, as the steady plough of the tyre into a semi-wedged position impeded my chosen direction of travel, we fell in unison. When I lifted the thing up (never a graceful thing to do with a motorcycle that weighs over 220kgs when you are embarrassed) the front tyre kindly slid back into it's previous position - but this time being completey wedged in. Thankfully, the reinforced sole of my shoe broke the fall of the frame and no damage was done to the bulbous tank.

Being the only 24hr gasoline stand near my apartment on the route out to the mountains, I've had to return to that very spot at least twice a month for the past three years since. I wonder if they fondly look back on our first meeting still as I do...

·
Registered
498 Posts
Storm, that kind of makes it all the more embarrassing don't you think? They see you come in, begin to come out of the office to fill 'er up, but then hear a bit of a tumble resulting in the rider being nowhere to be seen. You can imagine the attendants saying to each other:

Attendant A: "Oh God, yet another sodding biker that can't steer his bike properly without riding into holes in the ground. "
Attendent B: "Silly sod. Call themselves bikers? My grandmother could have avoided that sodding hole in the ground, and she hasn't even sat on a bike before. If they can't stay on the bike, they should just by a sodding car. I hope he hasn't fallen on the pump."
Attendant A: "He better not have, we just had it repaired after the last sod did that and dented to thing. The cost for repairs aren't gonna come out of my salary, I can tell you that! I suppose we should get the wedge..."
Attendent B: "S'pose so. Silly sod..."

Do you see what I mean..?

·
Registered
320 Posts
Blush

I nearly dropped the Burgie the first day I even tried to ride it, at the dealer's. I was straddling the bike, trying to rock it off its center stand (not a good idea when its front end was parked up hill! thanks to the guy showing me). She suffered a minor scrape but I felt like the biggest idiot and wrenched the hell out of my wrist.

This weekend she tipped over during a parking-space maneuver. The good news: no injuries (minor scrapes to our girl) and using those msgroup.org and pinkribbonrides.com techniques, I picked her up with very little effort! That butt-in-the-middle-of-the-seat worked like a charm!

Hope your pride recovers soon,

Bryna

·
Registered
16 Posts
Well, my first drop for my Burgie 400 happened yesterday morning. Stopped at stop sign, put my feet down and right foot just sorta slipped out. I went down and Burgie fell on my legs. Not hurt but right side rail has a scratch. Went down to Walmart's auto sectionand got me 2 blue seat belt covers with silver flames. Put These on my side rails as they velcro on. Not only have protection for a drop but also have a nice padded hand rail for passenger and protection for using bungee cord. Also got a matching litter bag I attached under my glove compartment to carry items. Linda

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have replaced the busted mirror with a new one from ronayers.com. It's simple amazing the amount of engineering that has to go into making sure everything fits together. To replace the mirror, 4 pieces of plastic have to come off and a vast number of screws. But my hats off to Suzuki for using the same type of screw for the majority of the fastening. Makes it simple to remember how it all goes back.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts